Apr 08 2011
By: TJMVoyager Uncharted Territory 1668 posts

[ The Recent Attacks Against Sony ]

23 replies 39 views Edited Apr 8, 2011

I am quite disappointed at Sony for their lack of failure on their part that they weren't better prepared for the attacks this week. When I called them I not only spoke to the support team but to the Supervisor. Now I know their knowledge of the support team is very limited, however you'd expect more from the supervisor. When I with him he acted as if he did not care what was going on, or not even concern. So we discuss more about what is going on and how its going to get resolved. Sony blames maintance, but I knew that wasn't true because later on I found a link on google that had the video and I noticed that their was a irc channel posted on there. So I sad what the heck, I went to it, and sure enough over 500 people in the channel, just about everyone in their DDOSing Sony.

When I was talking to the supervisor I told him I have a lot of money tied up in Sony as well as @home, his response, QUOTE "I didn't tell you to buy all that stuff" END QUOTE. That was a hell of a thing to say to a paying customer.

You pissed of some people off Sony and I suggest you get some sort of security measures on your network because I am very familiar with what they are doing and they will not go lightly.

I even called them back and asked to speak with someone, but they said they couldn't direct me to the person needed to talk to.

Is this the way to treat people Sony. Now I don't attack, nor do I hack, that isn't in my nature, however I can see why some do it.

You need to treat your customers right, and if you don't this is the result.

Message 1 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Re: [ The Recent Attacks Against Sony ]

Apr 8, 2011

And how are they supposed to know someone was going to be attacking  them? You don't know until it happens. And don't forget; It's multiple  people attacking not just one guy, it's not like Sony looks at YouTube to watch videos of what's going on.

I haven't seen them target any accounts on PSN, so you  should be  safe. But you don't need a lot of money on an account and if  you have a  credit card disable it on PSN, use PSN cards it's more  safe.

No one should hack anyone for any reason, it's  against  the law no matter who was in the wrong. There are other  companies that  do the same but they aren't getting attention like Sony  is, which in my  eye's is completely stupid. They say they help the  people, but in  reality they aren't. All they are is a terrorist group,  and attacking  Sony's servers, all they are doing is pissing people off  who use the  product.

Message 2 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10742 posts

Apr 8, 2011

cantwin4losing2 wrote:

This is an extremely sad case in point and totally believe that someone from Sony information would say that to you.  I have had several comments of that nature directed at me also when i call their 1-800-345-7669 number. What i feel is dissappointing, is that the people who pay for PS Plus aren't getting near the protection level they deserve.   If i was a plus member, i would switch to the other box and pay the same 12 dollars a month or so and be guaranteed to have a secure and monitored network.  PSN is free but that is one heck of an excuse for the technical staff at this company to just let their servers and other information be shattered and broken at will.  I can't tell you how many flaws i've pointed out about the network of this company just to have them give me some horrible and non-pertinent excuse and then be told that is not important to fix. PSN does make an attempt to correct certain issues, but all in all, i'm dissappointed. I will continue to use this network because it is free, but if this network starts to charge money and have the same shoddy security and customer support.  I probably will pawn off my ps3's. It's a shame to say i would do that, but i honestly would. If PSN charges money and runs a much tighter security and 10 times more friendly information line, then I would stay loyal to Playstation.

not once yet has the PSN been hacked yet. this latest thing is a ddos attack, it's the same exact thing that happens when you log on to the PSN, but on a grander scale, as far as numbers go. the security of the PSN and our information is 100% secure so far and there have been zero breeches of it. the only things that have been hacked so far (as far as the PSN is concerned) are a few games, but that falls on the dev, not sony or the PSN. sony has/is doing everything possible to keep hackers off of the PSN, and are doing a very decent job of it.

as far as customer support goes, that's all peoples' personal opinions. i have had nothing, but absolute perfect support/service from sony CSRs when i've needed it, even if it's only been a few times. also, some people tend to be upset when they call support and aren't exactly the nicest people themselves.

Message 3 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Apr 8, 2011

I'm confused. Exactly what issue were you looking to get resolved by calling Sony support? Did you lose a game or item you paid for? Has your account been hijacked? Other than the PSN being down for maintenance what problem were you having?

I'm just trying to figure out what problem you were hoping they could resolve for you.

Message 4 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Apr 8, 2011

ForeverRival wrote:

I'm confused. Exactly what issue were you looking to get resolved by calling Sony support? Did you lose a game or item you paid for? Has your account been hijacked? Other than the PSN being down for maintenance what problem were you having?

I'm just trying to figure out what problem you were hoping they could resolve for you.

I think he was concerned about his account with the money he has on it. And was worried if the hackers would be able to get it, that seems like to me what he's saying. I can understand him being worried about it but i don't think it would be a problem, I'm sure Sony doesn't want peoples Personal Information leaked out.

Message 5 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Apr 8, 2011

Yes you are correct, someone had posted a thread about how Sony's network had holes and how he tried to let Sony know the security issues Sony had. Why they didn't listen to him in the first place. Would have been better prepared if they did protect themselves. Having an open network these days we all know that's a big no no. Would you leave your network open to the world?

Think about it. Sony is rich, they make alot of money, you cannot tell me that don't have the money to build a secure network.

Although it's tough to detect ddos, ping flood, or icmp bombs, their are measures to be taken to avoid network downtime. To have a company network down for almost a week is crazy, what was Sony thinking here?

For me calling them and telling them about what I seen, hell I should have been rewarded for that. J/K,

Anyway's, make your network secure Sony, and you won't have these sort of things.

Message 6 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Apr 8, 2011

TJMVoyager wrote:

Yes you are correct, someone had posted a thread about how Sony's network had holes and how he tried to let Sony know the security issues Sony had. Why they didn't listen to him in the first place. Would have been better prepared if they did protect themselves. Having an open network these days we all know that's a big no no. Would you leave your network open to the world?

Think about it. Sony is rich, they make alot of money, you cannot tell me that don't have the money to build a secure network.

Although it's tough to detect ddos, ping flood, or icmp bombs, their are measures to be taken to avoid network downtime. To have a company network down for almost a week is crazy, what was Sony thinking here?

For me calling them and telling them about what I seen, hell I should have been rewarded for that. J/K,

Anyway's, make your network secure Sony, and you won't have these sort of things.

As has been stated before, Sony's network has not been hacked, nor has a security breach occurred. The only potential (and unconfirmed) hole was for people who were using CFW/jailbreak on their systems and that is not Sony's fault that someone decides its in their best intrest to bypass Sony's security measures.

While I am no expert on DDOS attacks, it seems that most companies have a "reactive" other than a "proactive" approach to dealing with the problems. Even still, the most secure site can have problems if there are enough people involved with the DDOS attack, YET it doesn't mean that the site has lost any security. All that it means is that the servers hosting the site have more requests coming in than what it can process (which is not a security flaw but rather a hardware flaw). In all honesty, anyone who is really claiming to be a hacker by doing a DDOS attack is an idiot. They are not hackers by doing that, they are more like a 500 person riot trying to enter a small door all at the same time.

If you should be mad at anyone for this, be mad at the idiots preforming the attack.

Message 7 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

Apr 8, 2011

This is an extremely sad case in point and totally believe that someone from Sony information would say that to you.  I have had several comments of that nature directed at me also when i call their 1-800-345-7669 number. What i feel is dissappointing, is that the people who pay for PS Plus aren't getting near the protection level they deserve.   If i was a plus member, i would switch to the other box and pay the same 12 dollars a month or so and be guaranteed to have a secure and monitored network.  PSN is free but that is one heck of an excuse for the technical staff at this company to just let their servers and other information be shattered and broken at will.  I can't tell you how many flaws i've pointed out about the network of this company just to have them give me some horrible and non-pertinent excuse and then be told that is not important to fix. PSN does make an attempt to correct certain issues, but all in all, i'm dissappointed. I will continue to use this network because it is free, but if this network starts to charge money and have the same shoddy security and customer support.  I probably will pawn off my ps3's. It's a shame to say i would do that, but i honestly would. If PSN charges money and runs a much tighter security and 10 times more friendly information line, then I would stay loyal to Playstation.

Message 8 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Apr 8, 2011

Yes they do get hacked, from a rootkit to find a IP to hit on.

Message 9 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1116 posts

Apr 8, 2011
Message 10 of 24 (39 Views)
0 Likes