Highlighted
Sep 07 2010
By: a_dirty_Shisno Uncharted Territory 1982 posts

The Real Cost Of PlayStation Plus --- Year 1

104 replies 33105 views Edited Sep 7, 2010

*** If a PlayStation Plus Board is created I will ask for this to be migrated there and I will ask for a sticky. ***

*** I hope you would all join me in that quest.  Smiley Tongue ***

*** Quest half completed. ***

Hello everyone.

You've probably seen this thread before, even multiple times, but not like this.  Now It's been entirely redesigned.  First, all the sections have been edited to hopefully make them easier to see.  The text sizes of section headings and totals have been increased and the text sizes of less important information has been decreased.  At the behest of those using the Black forum theme, I have tried to limit the use of Blue and have eliminated the Black text by removing all the "<font color="#000000"> ...</font>" text from the HTML (and I encourage everyone else to do the same in their posts if they find themselves switching color back to Black).  Finally, and probably most importantly, I decided to change the direction of the thread to include all that PlayStation Plus has to offer instead of just what it offers to keep.

And now, enjoy.

We've all heard of PlayStation Plus by now and we've all heard what it's benefits are supposed to be.  We've heard all the arguments for it --- "hundreds of dollars of value", "free games and DLC", "frequent discounts", "early invitations to select betas", and "free monthly episodes of Qore" --- and the arguments against it --- "$50 is too expensive" and "We don't get enough free stuff for it to be worthwhile".  So I decided to cut through all the tape and find out what Playstation Plus is really worth.

I've created this thread to track the actual values we receive from what PlayStation Plus offers us.  The money saved will be listed for each item.  If some item of content is given out without a specified value as a PlayStation Plus exclusive I will simply label it as such without including a price, as I will not estimate a price for it.

I have grouped all the items into individual subcategories and listed each categories total.  All the categories are divided into two groups, those that are tied to the subscription and those that are not.  I then total all the categories in each group together and then finally add both groups together.  I will continue to do this for each month and keep a running tabulation of the total.

The first group will be those not tied to the PlayStation Plus subscription.  If you let your subscription expire the items in these categories will still be usable.  The categories in this group will be "Discounts", "Themes and Avatars", and Other".

• "Discounts" will have the percent off and the actual money saved calculated for each item.
  • "Themes and Avatars" consists, obviously, of Themes (both regular and dynamic) and Premium Avatars.  I have grouped these two groups of items together because they are very similar and individually they are each quite small and just appear to waste space.
  • If a new monthly feature is added (i.e. videos, etc.) that is given out for you to keep permanently and it doesn't fit into any of the above categories then a new category will be added for it.
  • "Other" will hold anything that doesn't fall into any of the other categories.

The second group will thus obviously be those that are tied to the PlayStation Plus subscription.  As these are tied to your subscription period once your subscription ends, if you don't renew, you will no longer be able to access the items in these categories.  So long as your subscription is maintained you will have access to this content.  The categories in this group will be "Full Games", "Premium Game Elements", and "Qore".

• "Full Games" will consist of the free games offered to PlayStation Plus Subscribers.  There should be 1 Full Game, 2 Minis, and 1 PS One Classic offered each month.  These will not all necessarily be available the first week of each month.
  • "Premium Game Elements" will usually consist of Add-On Downloadable Content.  Rarely, something else might be included.
  • "Qore" will include the Monthly episode of Qore.  As PlayStation Plus subscribers, we do not receive the Qore Annual Subscription or its benefits, however we still receive the bonus items available through the Monthly episode.  As such, not only will the monthly episode of Qore be listed, but the items available through the monthly episode will also be listed.  Though Qore is tied to the PlayStaiton Plus subscription, these bonus items are not. 
  • If a new monthly feature is added (i.e. videos, etc.) that is given out for you to use so long as you maintain your subscription and it doesn't fit into any of the above categories then a new category will be added for it.

Starting August 3rd, PlayStation Plus content updates have switched to releasing by-weekly.  Also, SCEA will be informing us of what we will receive one week in advance, that is the week in between updates.  This information will be included here.  The value of these items will not be tabulated into the totals until they are actually available to us the following week.

Here we go.

Month 1: June 29th - July 26th

Not Tied To Subscription:

1. Discounts: 

• Fat Princess: Fat Roles Expansion Pack 20% off = $1.00
  • Gauntlet II (Full Game) 50% off = $2.49
  • Mortal Kombat II (Full Game) 50% off = $2.49
  • Rampage (Full Game) 50% off = $2.49
  • Rampart (Full Game) 50% off = $2.49
  • Cuboid (Full Game) 20% off = $2.00
  • Hamsterball (Full Game) 20% off = $2.00 (suspended July 6th - July 19th)
  • Hamsterball (Full Game)20% off PSN Sale price = $1.00 (added July 6th, removed July 20th, not tabulated)
  • Interpol (Full Game) 20% off = $2.00
  • Magic Orbz (Full Game) 20% off = $2.00
  • Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom (Full Game) 20% off = $2.00
  • Smash Cars (Full Game) 20% off = $3.00
  • Wakeboarding HD (Full Game) 20% off = $3.00
  • Super Stardust HD (Full Game) 50% off = $4.99 (added July 6th)
  • Super Stardust HD Team Add-on Pack 50% off = $2.49 (added July 6th)
  • Super Stardust HD Solo Add-on Pack  50% off = $2.49 (added July 6th)
  • Resistance 2 Aftermath Multiplayer Map Pack 50% off = $2.99 (added July 13th)
  • Gravity Crash (Full Game) 50% off = $4.99 (added July 13th)*
  • echochrome (Full Game) 50% off = $4.99 (added July 20th)
  • Resistance 2 Skin Bundle 50% off = $1.99 (added July 20th)

* Must be redeemed through the PSN Store and not through the Demo.

Group Monthly Total = $54.89

2. Themes and Avatars (All Are FREE): 

• Collision Theme = Free Exclusive
  • Fat Princess: Pink Princess Avatar = Free Exclusive
  • Fat Princess: Blue Princess Avatar = Free Exclusive
  • MAG Raven Character Avatar = $0.49 (added July 6th)
  • MAG SVER Character Avatar = $0.49 (added July 6th)
  • MAG Valor Character Avatar = $0.49 (added July 6th)
  • King Zumo Theme = $1.49 (added July 6th)
  • LittleBigPlanet Sackboy Avatar = $0.49 (added July 13th)
  • MAG Raven Dynamic Theme = $2.99 (added July 13th)
  • MAG S.V.E.R. Dynamic Theme = $2.99 (added July 13th)
  • MAG Valor Dynamic Theme = $2.99 (added July 13th)
  • Heavy Rain Origami Swan Avatar = $0.49 (added July 20th)
  • Bloody Escape Theme = $1.49 (added July 20th)

Group Monthly Total = $14.40

3. Other (All Are FREE):

• Intro Offer: 3 bonus months of PlayStation Plus with 1 year subscription = $17.99
  • InFAMOUS Full Game Trial (60 Minute Trial) = Free Exclusive
  • Hulu Plus (Preview) = Free Exclusive (added July 14th)*
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Demo (Playable Demo) = Free Exclusive (added July 20th)

* Free to download app.  Requires addition $10 per month charge to Hulu to utilize.

Group Monthly Total = $17.99

1st Month Total = $87.28

Tied To Subscription (All Are FREE):

1. Full Games:

• WipEout HD (Full Game) = $19.99
  • Age of Zombies (Mini) = $4.99
  • Fieldrunners (Mini) = $6.99 (added July 6th)
  • Rally Cross (PS One Classic) = $5.99

Group Monthly Total = $37.96

2. Premium Game Elements:

• Warhawk Fallen Star Pack = $1.99 (1 week only, removed July 6th)*
  • Cuboid Booster Pack = $2.99 (not tabulated)
  • Cuboid Level Editor = $3.99 (not tabulated)
  • Cuboid Bundle Pack = $4.99 (includes two above, tabulated)
  • Magic Orbz Booster Pack = $2.99
  • Magic Orbz Jungle Pack = $2.99
  • Magic Orbz Winter Pack = $2.99
  • Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom Booster Pack = $4.99
  • Smash Cars: Virus Run = $2.99

* Free only during the PlayStation Network $2 Sale.

Group Monthly Total = $23.93

3. Qore:

• Qore Episode 26: July 2010 (Single Episode) = $2.99
  • Majin and the Foresaken Kingdom Theme = Qore Exclusive

Group Monthly Total = $2.99

1st Month Total = $64.88

1st Month Combined Total = $152.16

Month 2: July 27th - August 23rd

1. Discounts: 

• Super Street Fighter IV PSN Avatar Bundle (PS Plus Exclusive)  60% off = $7.26*
  • Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED (PS One Classic) 50% off = $2.99
  • Wakeboarding HD (Full Game) 20% off PSN Sale price = $1.50 (added August 3rd, 1 week only)
  • PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap (Full Game) Early Access and 25% off = $1.75 (added August 10th, 2 weeks only)**
  • High Velocity Bowling (Full Game) 50% off = $4.99 (added August 10th)
  • WipEout HD Fury Add-On 20% off = $2.00 (added August 10th)
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Eye of Indra 1-4 Bundle 50% off =  $1.24 (added August 10th)

* Value of all 25 available Avatars ($0.49 each) factored in.  Includes 10 PlayStation Plus exclusive Avatars

** FREE for anyone who owns PixelJunk Racers

Group Monthly Total = $21.73

• None yet.

Group Monthly Total = $0.00

3. Other (All Are FREE):

• Red Faction Guerrilla Full Game Trial (60 Minute Trial) = Free Exclusive (added August 10th)

2nd Month Total = $21.73

1. Full Games:

• Critter Crunch (Full Game) = $6.99
  • Kahoots (Mini) = $4.49
  • Aero Racer (Mini) = $2.99 (added August 10th)
  • Syphon Filter (PS One Classic) = $5.99

Group Monthly Total = $17.47

• Nebula Tunnels Theme = $1.49 (added August 10th)*

* Don't make me add another category SONY!    This was supposed to be for keeps!

Group Monthly Total = $1.49

3. Qore:

• Qore Episode 27: August 2010 (Single Episode) = $2.99
  • Splatterhouse Theme = Qore Exclusive
  • TerRover Demo = Qore Exclusive

2nd Month Total = $24.94

2nd Month Combined Total = $46.67

Year Total To Date (2 Months) = $197.33

(Multiple occurrences of the same content in different months is factored out)

Month 2: August 24th - September ??th

***Not tabulated.  Working on revamping thread.  See page 10 for details.***

****This month does not follow the usual format. Consider it like Cliff's Notes.****

1. Discounts: 

• PS3 System 2 Year Plan ==== Reg $59.99, now $44.99
  • Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype + Soldner-X: Himmelstrummer Bundle ==== Reg $17.99, now $10.79
  • Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype ==== Reg $12.99, now $9.09
  • August 31st additions below...
  • Cuboid (Full Game) ??% off $5.99 PSN Sale price = Now $4.79 (added , 1 week only)
  • Hamsteball (Full Game) ??% off $5.99 = Now $4.79 (added , 2 weeks only)**
  • Interpol: The Trail of Dr. Chaos (Full Game) ??% off $5.99 = Now $4.79 (added )
  • Magic Orbz (Full Game) ??% off $5.99 = Now $4.79 (added )
  • Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom (Full Game) ??% off $5.99 = Now $4.79
  • Smash Cars (Full Game) ??% off $8.99 = Now $7.19
  • Wakeboarding HD (Full Game) ??% off $8.99 = Now $7.19 (added )

Group Monthly Total = $21.73

• None yet.

3. Other (All Are FREE):

• TerRover Demo

3rd Month Total = $??.??

1. Full Games:

• Mushroom Wars (Full Game) = $5.99
  • VEMPIRE (Mini) = $2.99
  • (Mini) = $?.?? (added September 7th)
  • 2Xtreme (PS One Classic) = $5.99

Group Monthly Total = $17.47

• None = $?.?? (added )

Group Monthly Total = $1.49

3. Qore:

• Qore Episode 28: September 2010 (Single Episode) = $2.99
  • = Qore Exclusive
  • = Qore Exclusive

3rd Month Total = $??.??

3rd Month Combined Total = $??.??

Year Total To Date (3 Months) = $???.??

(Multiple occurrences of the same content in different months is factored out)

And the closing ...

Well there you have it, all the savings offered to PlayStation Plus subscribers laid out and itemized.  As I don't have easy access to all the European data I only can do this tabulation for the US PlayStation Plus but I welcome anyone to calculate out the savings for the European PlayStation Plus.  So if someone wants to do that, have at it!

So as you can see the 1st Month's "Other" category pays for more than one-third of the subscription all by itself, and that's before including the bonus Discounts, Premium Game Elements, Themes, and Avatars that will be included in those 3 bonus months.  However, I'm sure many people are punching up the minus sign on their calculators right now.  But no matter how you look at it, there already is a substantial potential for saving more than you spend if you purchase PlayStation Plus.

Now this is obviously just a total of what you could save with PlayStation Plus.  Feel free to calculate what you do save to see what you get out of PlayStation Plus.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I personally have saved $31.11 (not tied to subscription) and $60.85 (tied to subscription) by being a member of PlayStation Plus.

And this is just the beginning.  See you next month!

*** EDIT LOG ***

• June 30th --- Fixed stupid mistakes.  Mostly spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors.  No further edits of this minor magnitude will be recorded.
  • July 06th --- Added new items available in the Store and updated the totals.
  • July 13th --- Added new items available in the Store and updated the totals.
  • July 20th --- Added new items available in the Store and updated the totals.
  • July 27th --- Completely redesigned the thread.  Added new items available in the Store and updated the totals.
  • August 03rd --- Added new items available in the Store and updated the totals.
  • August 10th --- Added new items available in the Store and updated the totals.

*** EDIT LOG ***

*** This is going to be the easiest job ever.  I only have to work on it once a month!  Smiley Tongue ***

*** So much for once a month. ***

Message 97 of 105 (33,105 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Re: The Real Cost Of PlayStation Plus --- Year 1

Jun 29, 2010

well playstation plus is mainly for people who buy alot of stuff from the playstation store.

so for people who are on a budget its pretty useless buying PSN+ if they rarely buy games from the playstation store

Message 1 of 105 (33,105 Views)
Lombax Warrior
131 posts

Jun 29, 2010

Well not if those people on a budget want a couple free games a month to keep them entertained lol

As for the chart its great and all, it obviously shows that you can save a lot money, that is if u actually want to play the games they discount or offer for free.

But for the free games it doesnt matter, free is free lol 

http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/clean4/ps3/JCat007x.png
Message 2 of 105 (33,105 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1982 posts

Jun 29, 2010

JCat007x wrote:

Well not if those people on a budget want a couple free games a month to keep them entertained lol

As for the chart its great and all, it obviously shows that you can save a lot money, that is if u actually want to play the games they discount or offer for free.

But for the free games it doesnt matter, free is free lol 

Actually, the real kicker here (at least for me) is the add-on DLC.  I own every game that's giving out the FREE DLC this month, but aside from the Warhawk add-on, I don'town any of the rest of the DLC.  I cleaned up in one month!

Message 3 of 105 (33,105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4883 posts

Jun 29, 2010
I love dynamic themes, usually buy them every few weeks. So with the two we are suppose to get each month, that's a $6 value right there. That alone was enough for me, the two monthly avatars are a $1 value. Plus is an awesome deal.
Message 4 of 105 (33,105 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
480 posts

Jun 29, 2010

Great Job! I think PSN +PLUS is awesome, if you don't want it then you still have free online play and everything you are use to. So, you really can't complain about something you don't pay for I'm I right?

Message 5 of 105 (33,105 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
131 posts

Jun 29, 2010

Nice! Good deal man.. but i dont have any of those games, but i was thinking of buying Whipeout HD so i guess i saved $20 there.

http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/clean4/ps3/JCat007x.png
Message 6 of 105 (33,105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3136 posts

Jun 29, 2010

you missed Wipeout HD $19.99 with Playstation + its free

Message 7 of 105 (33,105 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1982 posts

Jun 29, 2010

Maaz wrote:

you missed Wipeout HD $19.99 with Playstation + its free

I'm only including the content that we're allowed to keep forever.  The free Full Games are only free so long as you are a PlayStation Plus subscriber.

From what we've been told on the PlayStation Blog, among other sources, we get to keep all the Discounts, Premium Game Elements, Themes, and Avatars forever.  That's why only they are listed.

Message 8 of 105 (33,105 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jun 29, 2010

ICEJACKEL wrote:

Great Job! I think PSN +PLUS is awesome, if you don't want it then you still have free online play and everything you are use to. So, you really can't complain about something you don't pay for I'm I right?

I agree with this completly!

Message 9 of 105 (33,105 Views)
0 Likes