Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

randylr wrote:
I don't recall saying ntfs wasn't any good. But if you say so it must be true. I have read all the ins and out and comparisons between the 2 . I'm not arguing with about using it ntfs on a computer. I siad in my last statement that all my computers are ntfs. I converted one computer from fat32 to ntfs. But I don't think you are understanding me.  Like I already said , I'm not understanding why you think a ps3 should support ntfs. What I said about buying a new computer is they come ntfs because of windows vista and 7.  Older systems you can convert or reformat depending on your os. So ntfs is os dependant in order to take full advantage of the fs. I'm not being stubborn. I know what I know because of situations I have been in and people I have dealt with.

Sorry if you didn't say NTFS wasn't any good, thought you did somewhere,  my bad.

I'm SIMPLY saying people should use NTFS for all the benefits it presents over FAT32 when moving a portable device back and forth between the PS3 and PC, meaning they are going to use them for both machines.

Let's not limit ourselves to ONLY the benefits for a PS3, but having a portable device that uses the best benefits for both machines...

NOW make any sense? 

Please don't tell me you don't get this now, or I'm going to have to beat my head against the wall, LOL....

Message 51 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
916 posts

Nov 7, 2009

DasFox wrote:

randylr wrote:
I don't recall saying ntfs wasn't any good. But if you say so it must be true. I have read all the ins and out and comparisons between the 2 . I'm not arguing with about using it ntfs on a computer. I siad in my last statement that all my computers are ntfs. I converted one computer from fat32 to ntfs. But I don't think you are understanding me.  Like I already said , I'm not understanding why you think a ps3 should support ntfs. What I said about buying a new computer is they come ntfs because of windows vista and 7.  Older systems you can convert or reformat depending on your os. So ntfs is os dependant in order to take full advantage of the fs. I'm not being stubborn. I know what I know because of situations I have been in and people I have dealt with.

Sorry if you didn't say NTFS wasn't any good, thought you did somewhere,  my bad.

I'm SIMPLY saying people should use NTFS for all the benefits it presents over FAT32 when moving a portable device back and forth between the PS3 and PC, meaning they are going to use them for both machines.

Let's not limit ourselves to ONLY the benefits for a PS3, but having a portable device that uses the best benefits for both machines...

NOW make any sense? 

Please don't tell me you don't get this now, or I'm going to have to beat my head against the wall, LOL....

LMAO... YEs I see what mean. Sony could easily patch it with a fw update. But unless they feel a need for it it probably won't happen. I  personally just use one ext drive for the ps3 and another one for my pc. They are cheap enough now adays.
Message 52 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 7, 2009

There is a need for it...

Security, Piracy, or costs to Sony, one of these three must be the issue, but the consumer should not have to suffer because of any of them, we should still be able to reap the benefits of being able to use the best technology and FAT 32 isn't... 

Message 53 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Nov 8, 2009

"Have you ever run Windows 2000? That is when NTFS really hit mainstream it was the Microsoft highlight of their new system, they even proudly displayed, 'Built On NT Technology', which was a part of NTFS."

um....Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and 4.0 Server came before Windows 2000. Can you please site your reference from above quote?

"That is when NTFS really hit mainstream"

Message Edited by InvalidResult_00 on 11-08-2009 03:55 PM
Sugar with that.......Mr Poon?
Message 54 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 9, 2009

InvalidResult_00 wrote:

"Have you ever run Windows 2000? That is when NTFS really hit mainstream it was the Microsoft highlight of their new system, they even proudly displayed, 'Built On NT Technology', which was a part of NTFS."

um....Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and 4.0 Server came before Windows 2000. Can you please site your reference from above quote?

"That is when NTFS really hit mainstream"

Message Edited by InvalidResult_00 on 11-08-2009 03:55 PM

I wrote about everything you just said if you would of read through the posts, hehe...

NTFS might of hit mainstream on Windows 2000, but it was built for the NT OS, before Windows 2000.

NT came out in 1993, Win2k came out in 2000. 

Message 55 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Nov 9, 2009

I got a better comprimise. If anyone is knowledgable of computers they will know that exFAT was developed. exFAT esstientally is FAT64.

Here is some info comparing all 3 primary file systems

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2801/exfat_versus_fat32_versus_ntfs/

Message Edited by amak111 on 11-08-2009 06:23 PM
Message 56 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 14, 2009

Keep this up guys, we need better support then just FAT32...

THANKS 

Message 57 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
ncr
First Son
1 posts

Nov 19, 2009

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

FAT32 is not as good of a filesystem for many reasons and no one can argue about that, bottom line!  If you don't know it, then go out there and research it!

I personally have a 500GB usb drive using NTFS and I will not put FAT32 on it. People should not be telling people to simply accept this and just put FAT32 on.

I"m sorry FAT32 is an old FS and it's time to put that kind of thinking to rest and start getting support for NTFS.

Tuxera is the one that can make this happen!

So let's stop making excuses about everything and just start emailing Tuxera until we get them to help do something.

Tuxera certainly does pay Microsoft for the rights, so what, who cares, they also develop open-source NTFS drivers for Unix and Linux, which means they can also do this for the PS3.  

Sure M$ holds the cards here, but if the community doesn't hound them into doing something, then nothing will be done. 

open source != free use in a commercial product.

What are you trying to say?

Using Tuxera would cost Sony money. Lots of money for little gain.

No it will not, Tuxera can simply make an open-source driver like they do for other platforms that cost them nothing as well...

Using open source software in a closed source commercial product almost always costs money. Most open source licenses are written this way anyway.

This is not true - there are a lot of licenses that enable use of open source code for free in commercial products. And it's normal that people working on open source either end up working for the commercial partner or somewhere else.

Message 58 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8578 posts

Nov 19, 2009

ncr wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

FAT32 is not as good of a filesystem for many reasons and no one can argue about that, bottom line!  If you don't know it, then go out there and research it!

I personally have a 500GB usb drive using NTFS and I will not put FAT32 on it. People should not be telling people to simply accept this and just put FAT32 on.

I"m sorry FAT32 is an old FS and it's time to put that kind of thinking to rest and start getting support for NTFS.

Tuxera is the one that can make this happen!

So let's stop making excuses about everything and just start emailing Tuxera until we get them to help do something.

Tuxera certainly does pay Microsoft for the rights, so what, who cares, they also develop open-source NTFS drivers for Unix and Linux, which means they can also do this for the PS3.  

Sure M$ holds the cards here, but if the community doesn't hound them into doing something, then nothing will be done. 

open source != free use in a commercial product.

What are you trying to say?

Using Tuxera would cost Sony money. Lots of money for little gain.

No it will not, Tuxera can simply make an open-source driver like they do for other platforms that cost them nothing as well...

Using open source software in a closed source commercial product almost always costs money. Most open source licenses are written this way anyway.

This is not true - there are a lot of licenses that enable use of open source code for free in commercial products. And it's normal that people working on open source either end up working for the commercial partner or somewhere else.

Not when the product is closed source.

I will not accept your friend request, so dont bother.
Message 59 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 14, 2010

hi,

if anyone can help me with this please e-mail me at mappo13@ hotmail.com i doubt ill ever be back on this thread. any way i recently brought a 1tb hiatchi external hard drive that runs NTFS, now i have read forums and blah blah blah all same crap sayin you can't run NTFS but for the first 5 days i owned the external it worked fine with my ps3 and computer i wake up one day and it's not working with my computer but its working with my ps3 so i re format it to get it to work with my computer, but now it wont work with my ps3. any ideas on how to get it to work on both again??

Message 60 of 63 (60 Views)
0 Likes