Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/03/2008
Offline
167 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

randylr wrote:
I thought that all external drives came formated fat32. That way anyone could use them without having to reformat. As far as the ps3 goes, it doesn't really matter if it has ntfs support or not. It won't benefit from it either way. Ntfs is really mainly for 64 bit ops. 32bit systems don't benefit much from it either.

 

Look I'm not trying to be rude here, but you are making comments that you have no clue about.

 

First your thinking all external drives come formatted FAT32, then you make some wild comment about NTFS being mainly for a 64bit OS.

 

Do you know the Windows NT system built in 1993? That is when NTFS was developed, this was quite a ways before the 64 bit architecture was developed.

 

Have you ever run Windows 2000? That is when NTFS really hit mainstream it was the Microsoft highlight of their new system, they even proudly displayed, 'Built On NT Technology', which was a part of NTFS.

 

Here look at this screenshot:

 

http://news.soft32.com/wp-content/upload/microsoft/win2000.jpg  (Built on NT Technology) 

 

Filesystems have nothing to do with the CPU architecture, they are not architecture specific.

 

Benefits, there are major benefits to NTFS over FAT32 and why we should only be using it.

 

I'm sure you don't know, but NTFS is a journaled file system, another reason you want to use it over FAT32.

 

P.S. Here read about Filesystems and learn something before making incorrect comments:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 05:52 PM
Message 41 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
916 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

DasFox wrote:

randylr wrote:
I thought that all external drives came formated fat32. That way anyone could use them without having to reformat. As far as the ps3 goes, it doesn't really matter if it has ntfs support or not. It won't benefit from it either way. Ntfs is really mainly for 64 bit ops. 32bit systems don't benefit much from it either.

 

Look I'm not trying to be rude here, but you are making comments that you have no clue about.

 

First your thinking all external drives come formatted FAT32, then you make some wild comment about NTFS being mainly for a 64bit OS. 

 

Do you know the Windows NT system built in 1993? That is when NTFS was developed, this was quite a ways before the 64 bit Arch was developed.

 

Filesystems have nothing to do with the CPU architecture, they are not architecture specific.

 

Benefits, there are major benefits to NTFS over FAT32 and why we should only be using it.

 

 

 


 

Well any external drive I have bought  was formatted fat32. NT was made for companies not the average Home user. It is a bit differant than your run of the mill end user. And before you start telling people they don't know what they are talking about, you need to know what they have done first. I used to repair and build computers so I do know something about it. Someone else here told why the ps3 wouldn't benefit from using ntfs. So why are you so insistant on it? The ps3 is not a pc. The files on a ps3 only work on ps3.

If you want to get picky, IBM came out with HPFS for os/2 before MS's NTFS. IBM also had a 64bit processor in 1961.

Message Edited by randylr on 11-06-2009 09:02 PM
Message Edited by randylr on 11-06-2009 09:04 PM
Message 42 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/03/2008
Offline
167 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

randylr wrote:

DasFox wrote:

randylr wrote:
I thought that all external drives came formated fat32. That way anyone could use them without having to reformat. As far as the ps3 goes, it doesn't really matter if it has ntfs support or not. It won't benefit from it either way. Ntfs is really mainly for 64 bit ops. 32bit systems don't benefit much from it either.

 

Look I'm not trying to be rude here, but you are making comments that you have no clue about.

 

First your thinking all external drives come formatted FAT32, then you make some wild comment about NTFS being mainly for a 64bit OS.

 

Do you know the Windows NT system built in 1993? That is when NTFS was developed, this was quite a ways before the 64 bit Arch was developed.

 

Filesystems have nothing to do with the CPU architecture, they are not architecture specific.

 

Benefits, there are major benefits to NTFS over FAT32 and why we should only be using it.

 

 

 


 

Well any external drive I have bought was formatted fat32. NT was made for companies not the average Home user. It is a bit differant than your run of the mill end user. And before you start telling people they don't know what they are talking about, you need to know what they have done first. I used to repair and build computers so I do know something about it. Someone else here told why the ps3 wouldn't benefit from using ntfs. So why are you so insistant on it? The ps3 is not a pc. The files on a ps3 only work on ps3.

 

 

Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude, but you are making some really wild comments.

 

I'm an IT Tech, so I know these basics we are talking about, file systems and the CPU are just basics of computing, nothing extreme here at all.

 

Being a tech as you say you are, mentioning there are no benefits, does not show your experience.

 

I'm not talking about NT, the OS, we're talking about NTFS. The NT OS was when NTFS was first introduced.

 

Microsoft also made two versions of Windows 2000, one simply called Windows 2000 and the Windows 2000 Server. Windows 2000 was a desktop OS, just like using XP Pro.

 

You say you are a tech, then I shouldn't need to be explaining to you the reasons here, that just shows you are not aware of what is going on, or the benefits.

 

No one is going on about anything, I just want users to be aware that this is all a reality that Sony should be moving in and Tuxera is the one that can develop this, nothing more.

 

Users coming along making comments, thinking there are no reasons and benefits are users not experienced enough to know and making false comments is just misleading people, now do you want to spread false information and mislead people? I don't think you do, so you should know what you are talking about.

 

No tech knows everything and neither do I, but I at least know what I'm talking about in this situation, like any experienced tech should, when dealing with a basic topic about a file system like this.

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 06:06 PM
Message 43 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
916 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

DasFox wrote:

 

 

Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude, but you are making some really wild comments.

 

I'm an IT Tech, so I know these basics we are talking about, file systems and the CPU are just basics of computing, nothing extreme here at all.

 

Being a tech as you say you are, mentioning there are no benefits, does not show your experience.

 

I'm not talking about NT, the OS, we're talking about NTFS. The NT OS was when NTFS was first introduced.

 

Microsoft also made two versions of Windows 2000, one simply called Windows 2000 and the Windows 2000 Server. Windows 2000 was a desktop OS, just like using XP Pro.

 

You say you are a tech, then I shouldn't need to be explaining to you the reasons here, that just shows you are not aware of what is going on, or the benefits.

 

No one is going on about anything, I just want users to be aware that this is all a reality that Sony should be moving in and Tuxera is the one that can develop this, nothing more.

 

Users coming along making comments, thinking there are no reasons and benefits are users not experienced enough to know and making false comments is just misleading people, now do you want to spread false information and mislead people? I don't think you do, so you should know what you are talking about.

 

No tech knows everything and neither do I, but I at least know what I'm talking about in this situation, like any experienced tech should, when dealing with a basic topic about a file system like this.

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 06:06 PM

I know there are benefits on a pc. But really the normal everyday person won't see or even worry about it. But as far as the ps3 goes the only benefit would be the smaller file size making the drive more efficiant. Security isn't an issue nor is speed. Maybe on a future system it will be differant. But as of now I don't see the point. On a pc I'm all for it. On new systems now you don't have a choice, it's a given. But on older ones that are fat32 there would be no point unless you knew for sure what you were getting into and had a specific reason for switching. Unless you buy a new pc.

Message 44 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/03/2008
Offline
167 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

Do you know what Sony is calling the PS3? ----> "PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system"

 

This is a multimedia device for a variety of multimedia tasks, gaming, video, music, photos, etc...

 

You are limiting the PS3 and users to only the idea that they are not going to be using their portable drives anywhere else other than a PS3.

 

People who use a PS3 will have their portable drives for pleasure and business and use them on a computer also for various reasons, besides using them on a PS3. I happen to have my portable drive for business and pleasure, with a mixture of buisness and personal items on it.

 

Don't limit your mind to just thinking we are talking about playing games here and this is all it is, because you seem to be doing this.

 

People can have a hard drive full of many things that they drag along to other systems and use besides a PS3.

 

Limiting users, to being able to use a USB device, only as FAT32, then limits the user with that device.

 

Your thinking is a bit warped as a tech, most people don't even know what a firewall is, so just because they don't see or worry, does that mean Microsoft shouldn't include one in Windows?

 

The only benefit to NTFS is not just a smaller file size.

 

On new systems you don't have a choice, so what's that suppose to mean, you'd personally rather use a non-journaled system over a journaled one?

 

Buying a new computer has nothing to do with any of this. We are talking about 'File Systems'.

 

Just because you fail to understand this and think just because people don't see anything going on in the background or they don't worry about it, most definitely doesn't make it right and you give them second best because of their ignorance.

 

Let's flip this story around another way. Many people driving a car don't know the difference between using radiator fluid and water, so because of their ignorance we just fill their radiators with water and send them on their merry way with their 20K car?

 

I don't drive with water in my radiator and I don't use FAT32, WHY, because we have technology that has come along and replaced them both, so think about it like this if you can't really understand any of this...

 

Or, what OS are you using? If it's XP, Vista or Windows 7, why don't you just use Windows 2000, it's a good OS, because that is like what you are saying here to others, go back and use old technology, you don't get the point of the new. Sorry I'm not into using a 20 year old filesystem and there are great reaons not to either!

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 09:15 PM
Message 45 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/22/2004
Offline
3460 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

CookieMonster wrote:

Techni wrote:

I would like NTFS support, I have a few files larger than 4 GB that I can't watch on my PS3 due to FAT limitations.

 

open source = free

There is nothing to charge for if Sony can just copy the code and put credits to the company in their about list.

 

Another thing we need support for is MKV containers and soft-subs. Most of my anime is MKV.


Using open source in a commercial application is not free (most of the time). Copying code violates copyright laws.


Except when it's open source. That's the whole point of open source

Message 46 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/22/2004
Offline
3460 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

DasFox wrote:

 

No one goes out and buys FAT32 external hard drives


Because you can put any file system on any harddrive.

 

And Western Digital's lifebooks come FAT32 formatted, and they sell like mad

Message 47 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
916 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009

DasFox wrote:

Do you know what Sony is calling the PS3? ----> "PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system"

 

This is a multimedia device for a variety of multimedia tasks, gaming, video, music, photos, etc...

 

You are limiting the PS3 and users to only the idea that they are not going to be using their portable drives anywhere else other than a PS3.

 

People who use a PS3 will have their portable drives for pleasure and business and use them on a computer also for various reasons, besides using them on a PS3. I happen to have my portable drive for business and pleasure, with a mixture of buisness and personal items on it.

 

Don't limit your mind to just thinking we are talking about playing games here and this is all it is, because you seem to be doing this.

 

People can have a hard drive full of many things that they drag along to other systems and use besides a PS3.

 

Limiting users, to being able to use a USB device, only as FAT32, then limits the user with that device.

 

Your thinking is a bit warped as a tech, most people don't even know what a firewall is, so just because they don't see or worry, does that mean Microsoft shouldn't include one in Windows?

 

The only benefit to NTFS is not just a smaller file size.

 

On new systems you don't have a choice, so what's that suppose to mean, you'd personally rather use a non-journaled system over a journaled one?

 

Buying a new computer has nothing to do with any of this. We are talking about 'File Systems'.

 

Just because you fail to understand this and think just because people don't see anything going on in the background or they don't worry about it, most definitely doesn't make it right and you give them second best because of their ignorance.

 

Let's flip this story around another way. Many people driving a car don't know the difference between using radiator fluid and water, so because of their ignorance we just fill their radiators with water and send them on their merry way with their 20K car?

 

I don't drive with water in my radiator and I don't use FAT32, WHY, because we have technology that has come along and replaced them both, so think about it like this if you can't really understand any of this...

 

Or, what OS are you using? If it's XP, Vista or Windows 7, why don't you just use Windows 2000, it's a good OS, because that is like what you are saying here to others, go back and use old technology, you don't get the point of the new. Sorry I'm not into using a 20 year old filesystem and there are great reaons not to either!

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 09:15 PM

 

Appearantly you didn't fully read my last post.. Any, I fail to see why you want ntfs support on a ps3 so badly. External drives are cheap enough to buy a big enough 1 to partition into more than 1. So just put a fat32 partition and a ntfs partition so you can use it anywhere you want. And for your information I have 3 pcs , 1 with ME,  with XP and 1 with Vista and a laptop with vista, and they are all NTSF.But your point to all the benefits from NTSF mean absolutly nothing when it comes to a ps3.
Message 48 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/03/2008
Offline
167 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009
Techni wrote:

DasFox wrote:

 

No one goes out and buys FAT32 external hard drives


Because you can put any file system on any harddrive.

 

And Western Digital's lifebooks come FAT32 formatted, and they sell like mad


 

 

 

My bad on that last comment, I meant to say for people that know and they don't intentionally go out and buy a FAT32 drive.

 

 

 

 


randylr wrote:

DasFox wrote:

Do you know what Sony is calling the PS3? ----> "PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system"

 

This is a multimedia device for a variety of multimedia tasks, gaming, video, music, photos, etc...

 

You are limiting the PS3 and users to only the idea that they are not going to be using their portable drives anywhere else other than a PS3.

 

People who use a PS3 will have their portable drives for pleasure and business and use them on a computer also for various reasons, besides using them on a PS3. I happen to have my portable drive for business and pleasure, with a mixture of buisness and personal items on it.

 

Don't limit your mind to just thinking we are talking about playing games here and this is all it is, because you seem to be doing this.

 

People can have a hard drive full of many things that they drag along to other systems and use besides a PS3.

 

Limiting users, to being able to use a USB device, only as FAT32, then limits the user with that device.

 

Your thinking is a bit warped as a tech, most people don't even know what a firewall is, so just because they don't see or worry, does that mean Microsoft shouldn't include one in Windows?

 

The only benefit to NTFS is not just a smaller file size.

 

On new systems you don't have a choice, so what's that suppose to mean, you'd personally rather use a non-journaled system over a journaled one?

 

Buying a new computer has nothing to do with any of this. We are talking about 'File Systems'.

 

Just because you fail to understand this and think just because people don't see anything going on in the background or they don't worry about it, most definitely doesn't make it right and you give them second best because of their ignorance.

 

Let's flip this story around another way. Many people driving a car don't know the difference between using radiator fluid and water, so because of their ignorance we just fill their radiators with water and send them on their merry way with their 20K car?

 

I don't drive with water in my radiator and I don't use FAT32, WHY, because we have technology that has come along and replaced them both, so think about it like this if you can't really understand any of this...

 

Or, what OS are you using? If it's XP, Vista or Windows 7, why don't you just use Windows 2000, it's a good OS, because that is like what you are saying here to others, go back and use old technology, you don't get the point of the new. Sorry I'm not into using a 20 year old filesystem and there are great reaons not to either!

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 09:15 PM

 

Appearantly you didn't fully read my last post.. Any, I fail to see why you want ntfs support on a ps3 so badly. External drives are cheap enough to buy a big enough 1 to partition into more than 1. So just put a fat32 partition and a ntfs partition so you can use it anywhere you want. And for your information I have 3 pcs , 1 with ME, with XP and 1 with Vista and a laptop with vista, and they are all NTSF.But your point to all the benefits from NTSF mean absolutly nothing when it comes to a ps3.

 

 

I read every word you typed, the PROBLEM we are having is you think you know something here and you don't. Until you admit up to your mistakes here and quit acting like you know about all of this, we are just going to keep running around in circles.

 

Your being stubborn acting like you know something here when you don't. You even made the comment that NTFS wasn't any good and it's for a 64 bit OS, then with comments like this, you keep replying acting as if you know something, then you further comment this is only good for a new computer.

 

Let me make a list here and PLEASE read it!

 

1. FAT32 Is not a journaled file system

2. FAT32 has file size limitations

3. FAT32 fragments more

4. FAT32 also has many other limitations which are technical, but just because they are tehcnical in nature and you don't understand them, or someone else, that doesn't mean we don't use it.

5. NTFS is a superior flie system in many ways and because of it's superiority we use it, not because we as consumers know anything about this.

 

GO out and READ about all of this and PLEASE stop making ridiculous comments, this is starting to get old.

 

Put it this way you are trying to tell me an IT Tech, that you know something here and I can see it because I have the experience. You are not fooling me with any of your comments of knowledge in this matter. I'm truly sorry that seems a bit harsh, but GOD man just admit you don't know and stop acting like a know it all and that you just don't get the reasons and admit it and be done with your posting.

 

Go use NTFS and stop going on about it, ok enough for gosh sakes, it's a better file system and you should be using it on your portable devices and if you are not then format them to NTFS, but of course we all know you're still going to need FAT32 for the PS3.

 

Damm I thought I was stubborn, but I would never stand up and try to have a battle with someone when I didn't have the experience, nor would I ever act like I knew it when I didn't.

 

 

Why don't you at least go and read the WIKI about NTFS:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

 

And your last comment was WAY WRONG!

 

THE PS3 IS A COMPUTER, WHAT DO YOU THINK IT IS?

 

1. It has a motherboard

2. It has a CPU & GPU

3. It has a hard drive

4. It has a dvd/cdrom

5. It has a power supply unit

 

No wrong, It's a computer built on a slightly different architecture, using a Cell Broadband Engine and the Nvidia RSX GPU.

 

You seem to think because it has a slightly different architecture and you probably don't know what I mean when I say architecture, that this isn't a computer in your mind and because it is not a Windows PC computer then it fails to have a need for NTFS, that is where your assumptions are way wrong.

 

The PS3 is an entertainment system, which is a computer, I said this before. People will use a portable device between a Windows based pc and the ps3 that is the SIMPLEST reasons why it should be NTFS!

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-07-2009 02:23 PM
Message 49 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
916 posts
 

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 7, 2009
I don't recall saying ntfs wasn't any good. But if you say so it must be true. I have read all the ins and out and comparisons between the 2 . I'm not arguing with about using it ntfs on a computer. I siad in my last statement that all my computers are ntfs. I converted one computer from fat32 to ntfs. But I don't think you are understanding me.  Like I already said , I'm not understanding why you think a ps3 should support ntfs. What I said about buying a new computer is they come ntfs because of windows vista and 7.  Older systems you can convert or reformat depending on your os. So ntfs is os dependant in order to take full advantage of the fs. I'm not being stubborn. I know what I know because of situations I have been in and people I have dealt with.
Message 50 of 63 (34 Views)
Reply
0 Likes