Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 6, 2009

BBurgSteve wrote:

Vicious_Dave wrote:
I don't see the need for this feature, if you want to connect a USB external HDD, just format your hard drive in fat32 first. You know Windows XP is fat32 by default right? So is every other Windows OS below it. Vista and 7 are NTFS standard. I believe you can still make them fat32 formatted if you wanted to. The whole problem with fat32 is it's limmited with the ammount of ram it can use. Anyways, who cares about the file system, because if your smart, just format it in fat32, and buy another external HDD for your PC or Mac, so you don't have to reformat it all the time!

Or just create a partition for your PS3 use. I have a 320GB portable drive, on which I have a ~200GB NTFS partition for computer use, and a ~120GB FAT32 partition for PS3 use.

FAT32 has many major limitations I don't want to use or deal with, that's why...
Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 12:25 PM
Message 31 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Nov 6, 2009

"Less fragmentation"

I will agree with you on your comment, however this has more to do with cluster sizes then anything else. The default cluster size of 4k in NTFS is what keeps it from fragmenting as much as FAT32 does.

Sugar with that.......Mr Poon?
Message 32 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4084 posts

Nov 6, 2009
This seems a bit.... out of our league.
Message 33 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Nov 6, 2009

"Don't you realize how old of a file system fat32 is?"

Yes, Microsoft released the 32-bit version with Windows 95 OSR2 in August of 1996. NTFS was introduced with Windows NT 3.1 in July of 1993.....

Sugar with that.......Mr Poon?
Message 34 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 6, 2009
IMHO Sony is avoiding ntfs for piracy issues. Main reason they chose fat32 was the filesize limit, if they wanted a <4gb filesize otion they could have gone for Ext3 with journal, which is better than NTFS in so many ways.
But they are trying to prevent PS3 going the PSP road by using every safety measures they can.

And although i am sad, i can't blame them...
Message 35 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8578 posts

Nov 6, 2009

mmanolis wrote:
IMHO Sony is avoiding ntfs for piracy issues. Main reason they chose fat32 was the filesize limit, if they wanted a <4gb filesize otion they could have gone for Ext3 with journal, which is better than NTFS in so many ways.
But they are trying to prevent PS3 going the PSP road by using every safety measures they can.

And although i am sad, i can't blame them...

no, not using NTFS and using FAT32 has absolutely nothing to do with piracy issues. Starting with FAT32 makes sense, since the most common practice for any external device whether it be a flash drive, sd card, etc, is to be formatted as FAT32. Secondly, FAT can be used for free. 

I will not accept your friend request, so dont bother.
Message 36 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1869 posts

Nov 7, 2009

DasFox wrote:

Tsukiyoshi wrote:

Vicious_Dave wrote:

DPyro wrote:
Sony doesn't want to support NTFS for security reasons. If/when their PS3 system gets hacked, people won't be able to load PS3 games off an external hard drive because of the file size limit of FAT32. Then again, if/when the PS3 gets hacked they could always develop their own driver for NTFS. Besides that, people could copy full movies to PS3 using NTFS.
Ah ha!  So to reply in others reply to me.  I have this guy's quote to back me up.  Seeing as Windows now uses NTFS, if the PS3 also used NTFS, it would be a more hackable system as Windows is virus prone, and most people run Windows with the default of NTFS.  Why did Sony chose Fat32 (windows old file format system)?  I don't know, and have no clue.  But as far as security goes, Fat32 is more secure to not get viruses and hacked than NTFS is, seeing as NTFS has been a Windows standard for a couple 4 almost 5 years now.  There are no limitations to fat32 other than ram limitations.  Another thing you might like to know is that most linux distros are also in fat32, I've used all the versions of ubuntu, and they all require me to partition a HDD space on my computer in fat32.  But, seeing as it is fat32, ram is limited at 4GB I believe.  PS3 does not have a problem, PS4 might have a problem though if Sony choses to include more ram than 4GB.  Seeing as 512MB is the standard now, I see the next gen systems only using a max of 2GB of memory.  In other news, it's rumored Sony will use Intel everything on the PS4, including CPU and GPU, it is widely rumored Intel will have a next generation GPU which trumps anything Nvidia or ATI has ever offered.

The file system isn't as much to blame for viruses and security issues as much as the OS it hosts. There is no end all fs as they each have specialized uses, ie NTFS for multi-user systems.

The 4GB limit is not for the ram but for any individual file.

Also, requiring source of this rumor. On a related note regarding USB 3.0, Intel hate.

There are no benefits to having FAT32, it's only around for some odd backwards compatibility that the occassional outdated system can use is all. 

FAT32 seems to be something that almost every OS suports which is a benefit. Like someone above said, there is less fragmenting in FAT32 which is another benefit. It is outdated which is why Microsoft updated it to FAT64, a.k.a exFAT. The NTFS is better than FAT but I wouldn't say it's totally useless.

Message 37 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 7, 2009

Having NTFS read/write support should not be causing security issues by using portable devices.

If Sony limits the support to only a portable device and no NTFS support on the internal drive, security shouldn't be a concern, sounds more like a piracy issue really.

But then what piracy will this be? You can't make PS3 game copies, so what are we talking about, mp3s, movies, what? You can already put mp3s and movies on a FAT32 paritition and watch them, so this makes no sense to think the problem gets worse because you move to NTFS.

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 05:09 PM
Message 38 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 7, 2009

All major systems have NTFS support.

Unix

Linux

OS X

The three listed above, including all the variations there are in the Unix Linux world, represent the most popular systems in use today and they all have NTFS support. FAT32 really doesn't fill any gaps anymore like it did... 

Message 39 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
916 posts

Nov 7, 2009
I thought that all external drives came formated fat32. That way anyone could use them without having to reformat. As far as the ps3 goes, it doesn't really matter if it has ntfs support or not. It won't benefit from it either way. Ntfs is really mainly for 64 bit ops. 32bit systems don't benefit much from it either.
Message 40 of 63 (54 Views)
0 Likes