MVP Support
10756 posts

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 5, 2009

Uh, one problem with contacting a 3rd party company to do this.  It's still Sony's sandbox, and any changes to the firmware would have to come from there.  If Sony wanted to support the NTFS file system on external drives connected to the PS3, it would have been done a long time ago.

Until Sony decides it is the direction to go in, contacting 3rd party companies is a waste of time.

Message 10 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8578 posts

Nov 5, 2009

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

FAT32 is not as good of a filesystem for many reasons and no one can argue about that, bottom line!  If you don't know it, then go out there and research it!

I personally have a 500GB usb drive using NTFS and I will not put FAT32 on it. People should not be telling people to simply accept this and just put FAT32 on.

I"m sorry FAT32 is an old FS and it's time to put that kind of thinking to rest and start getting support for NTFS.

Tuxera is the one that can make this happen!

So let's stop making excuses about everything and just start emailing Tuxera until we get them to help do something.

Tuxera certainly does pay Microsoft for the rights, so what, who cares, they also develop open-source NTFS drivers for Unix and Linux, which means they can also do this for the PS3.  

Sure M$ holds the cards here, but if the community doesn't hound them into doing something, then nothing will be done. 

open source != free use in a commercial product.

What are you trying to say?

Using Tuxera would cost Sony money. Lots of money for little gain.

I will not accept your friend request, so dont bother.
Message 11 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 5, 2009

BBurgSteve wrote:

Uh, one problem with contacting a 3rd party company to do this.  It's still Sony's sandbox, and any changes to the firmware would have to come from there.  If Sony wanted to support the NTFS file system on external drives connected to the PS3, it would have been done a long time ago.

Until Sony decides it is the direction to go in, contacting 3rd party companies is a waste of time.

Tuxera is not just some 3rd party company, they are THE company that makes NTFS happen in the world of computing.

I did contact them, so it will be interesting their reply.

Message 12 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 5, 2009

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

FAT32 is not as good of a filesystem for many reasons and no one can argue about that, bottom line!  If you don't know it, then go out there and research it!

I personally have a 500GB usb drive using NTFS and I will not put FAT32 on it. People should not be telling people to simply accept this and just put FAT32 on.

I"m sorry FAT32 is an old FS and it's time to put that kind of thinking to rest and start getting support for NTFS.

So let's stop making excuses about everything and just start emailing Tuxera until we get them to help do something.

Tuxera certainly does pay Microsoft for the rights, so what, who cares, they also develop open-source NTFS drivers for Unix and Linux, which means they can also do this for the PS3.  

Sure M$ holds the cards here, but if the community doesn't hound them into doing something, then nothing will be done. 

No it will not, Tuxera can simply make an open-source driver like they do for other platforms that cost them nothing as well...

Message 13 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8578 posts

Nov 5, 2009

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

No it will not, Tuxera can simply make an open-source driver like they do for other platforms that cost them nothing as well...

Using open source software in a closed source commercial product almost always costs money. Most open source licenses are written this way anyway.

I will not accept your friend request, so dont bother.
Message 14 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1681 posts

Nov 5, 2009
I don't see the need for this feature, if you want to connect a USB external HDD, just format your hard drive in fat32 first.  You know Windows XP is fat32 by default right?  So is every other Windows OS below it.  Vista and 7 are NTFS standard.  I believe you can still make them fat32 formatted if you wanted to.  The whole problem with fat32 is it's limmited with the ammount of ram it can use.  Anyways, who cares about the file system, because if your smart, just format it in fat32, and buy another external HDD for your PC or Mac, so you don't have to reformat it all the time!
Message 15 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10756 posts

Nov 5, 2009

DasFox wrote:

Tuxera is not just some 3rd party company, they are THE company that makes NTFS happen in the world of computing.

I did contact them, so it will be interesting their reply.

And exactly how would you get the NTFS drivers on your PS3 if Tuxera were able to provide one?  Last I checked, the PS3 did not allow for custom software/firmware upgrades, except on the Linux side of the OS, which has no effect on the PS3 OS side.  There is also the issue of the 'OtherOS' option not being present in the PS3 Slim at all.

Message 16 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10756 posts

Nov 5, 2009

Vicious_Dave wrote:
I don't see the need for this feature, if you want to connect a USB external HDD, just format your hard drive in fat32 first.  You know Windows XP is fat32 by default right?  So is every other Windows OS below it.  Vista and 7 are NTFS standard.  I believe you can still make them fat32 formatted if you wanted to.  The whole problem with fat32 is it's limmited with the ammount of ram it can use.  Anyways, who cares about the file system, because if your smart, just format it in fat32, and buy another external HDD for your PC or Mac, so you don't have to reformat it all the time!

Or just create a partition for your PS3 use.  I have a 320GB portable drive, on which I have a ~200GB NTFS partition for computer use, and a ~120GB FAT32 partition for PS3 use.

Message 17 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 5, 2009

Vicious_Dave wrote:

You don't seem to understand the reasons why you don't want to use FAT32.

Better security - As a 'Journaled' File System

Better clustering/faster

Less fragmentation

These are a few GREAT reasons to use NTFS.

NTFS has been around since NT started, it was the file system created for NT, that was in 1993.

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-04-2009 06:20 PM
Message 18 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
819 posts

Nov 5, 2009

DasFox wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

Vicious_Dave wrote:

Or just create a partition for your PS3 use.  I have a 320GB portable drive, on which I have a ~200GB NTFS partition for computer use, and a ~120GB FAT32 partition for PS3 use.

I personally don't want to stick anything on the PS hard drive, as I'm sure others don't as well. I want to be able to use a portable NTFS formatted hard drive....

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-04-2009 06:21 PM

How is partitioning an external hard drive have to do with "stick anything on the PS hard drive"?

320GB BC PS3
Follow Me if you dare!
Message 19 of 63 (176 Views)
0 Likes