Highlighted
Nov 06 2009
By: DasFox Lombax Warrior 167 posts

* The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

62 replies 6915 views Edited Nov 6, 2009

The Playstation 3 can have NTFS support and this is how, NTFS-3G, by Tuxera.

The company Tuxera that develops NTFS-3G has open-source and proprietary license agreements with Microsoft to develop open-source and commerical versions of NTFS-3G.

It the past it has been said the reason NTFS is not supported on the PS3 is because Microsoft owns the rights to NTFS and that is true, but to think it's because of this, or it would compete against the Xbox360, wouldn't be a correrct assement of the situation, because hundreds of different computer systems developed around the world, from Unix, Linux and various other systems, ONX, Haiku and many others that are competitors in the computer industry have NTFS support.

The biggest reasons mainly are a lack of interest and possible security issues, but if the PS3 OS is proprietary and Sony really tightens the screws on it, then security will not be an issue.

The support we are talking about here would be to allow a portable external usb drive to be read using NTFS.

Many people think there is nothing wrong with keeping FAT32 without really knowing. Microsoft even dropped the filesystem in favor of NTFS for many good reasons, better security, faster, less fragmentation and many other reasons.

The simple fact of the matter is if you want the support then there needs to be a collective effort from the PS3 community around the world to know where to go and that is Tuxrea and Sony.

Tuxera is the one who will develop the NTFS support, but we also need the cooperation of Sony to make this happen, afterall it is their call on this, it is their system.

I did receive back an email from a developer of Tuxera, they said they would love to do this, now all we need to do is push Sony as well, so PLEASE contact Tuxera and Sony.

Tuxera's contact information:

http://www.tuxera.com/about-us/contact/

Sony Coporate Contact:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Corporate/ContactUs

Here is some reading about FAT32:

Limitations of FAT32 File System:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184006

NTFS vs. FAT: Which Is Right for You?:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx

NTFS vs FAT:

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

P.S. PLEASE keep this bumped people, this is really important information that needs to stay on top so others can read it and contact Tuxera and Sony. Moving forward towards getting NTFS support will make a change for the better!

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-06-2009 12:20 PM
Message 30 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
819 posts

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Nov 4, 2009

DasFox wrote:

The Playstation 3 can have NTFS support and this is how, NTFS-3G, by Tuxera.

The company Tuxera that develops NTFS-3G has open-source and proprietary license agreements with Microsoft to develop open-source and commerical versions of NTFS-3G.

It the past it has been said the reason NTFS is not supported on the PS3 is because Microsoft owns the rights to NTFS and that is true, but to think it's because of this, or it would compete against the Xbox360, wouldn't be a correrct assement of the situation, because hundreds of different computer system developed around the world, from Unix, Linux and various other systems, ONX, Haiku and many others that are competitors in the computer have NTFS support.

The biggest reason most likely is the lack of interest from Tuxera to want to be bothered developing NTFS support on a gaming console.

No matter what those reasons are, let's not be concerned about them, the simple fact of the matter is if you want the support then there needs to be a collective effort from the PS3 community around the world to know where to go and that is Tuxrea.

Tuxera's contact information:

http://www.tuxera.com/about-us/contact/

P.S. I sent them an email, will you?

Message Edited by DasFox on 11-04-2009 01:12 PM

NTFS support external, right? Cause no way in hell will Sony re-do their internal language mid stride...

320GB BC PS3
Follow Me if you dare!
Message 1 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 4, 2009
Yes external so you can plug your USB NTFS drive into the PS3 and read from it...
Message 2 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
819 posts

Nov 4, 2009

DasFox wrote:
Yes external so you can plug your USB NTFS drive into the PS3 and read from it...

Sounds interesting, thanks for the info

320GB BC PS3
Follow Me if you dare!
Message 3 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
753 posts

Nov 4, 2009
I'd love this so much. My external HDD is NTFS and I've always wanted to use it to backup my system.
Message 4 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Nov 4, 2009

Firstly Tuxura pays microsoft for licensing rights.  If you want to format a large hard drive to fat32 then use a non microsoft utility. As microsoft hides things from its consumers, you can format a hard drive up to 16tb in Fat32. I have a 80gb drive formatted to fat 32.

A powerful freeware program that can do this is EASEUS partition master 4.0 home edition 

Message 5 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Nov 4, 2009

amak111 wrote:

Firstly Tuxura pays microsoft for licensing rights.  If you want to format a large hard drive to fat32 then use a non microsoft utility. As microsoft hides things from its consumers, you can format a hard drive up to 16tb in Fat32. I have a 80gb drive formatted to fat 32.

A powerful freeware program that can do this is EASEUS partition master 4.0 home edition 

Not sure about the 16TB.

I have 1, 1.5 and 2 TB drives formatted to FAT32...

It's not so much the formatting part, it's the 4GB - 1 Byte limit for filesizes.  At least, it's not a big issue for me, but it's an issue I have with FAT32.

Message 6 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 5, 2009

FAT32 is not as good of a filesystem for many reasons and no one can argue about that, bottom line!  If you don't know it, then go out there and research it!

I personally have a 500GB usb drive using NTFS and I will not put FAT32 on it. People should not be telling people to simply accept this and just put FAT32 on.

I"m sorry FAT32 is an old FS and it's time to put that kind of thinking to rest and start getting support for NTFS.

Tuxera is the one that can make this happen!

So let's stop making excuses about everything and just start emailing Tuxera until we get them to help do something.

Tuxera certainly does pay Microsoft for the rights, so what, who cares, they also develop open-source NTFS drivers for Unix and Linux, which means they can also do this for the PS3.  

Sure M$ holds the cards here, but if the community doesn't hound them into doing something, then nothing will be done. 

Message 7 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8578 posts

Nov 5, 2009

DasFox wrote:

FAT32 is not as good of a filesystem for many reasons and no one can argue about that, bottom line!  If you don't know it, then go out there and research it!

I personally have a 500GB usb drive using NTFS and I will not put FAT32 on it. People should not be telling people to simply accept this and just put FAT32 on.

I"m sorry FAT32 is an old FS and it's time to put that kind of thinking to rest and start getting support for NTFS.

So let's stop making excuses about everything and just start emailing Tuxera until we get them to help do something.

Tuxera certainly does pay Microsoft for the rights, so what, who cares, they also develop open-source NTFS drivers for Unix and Linux, which means they can also do this for the PS3.  

Sure M$ holds the cards here, but if the community doesn't hound them into doing something, then nothing will be done. 

open source != free use in a commercial product.

I will not accept your friend request, so dont bother.
Message 8 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Nov 5, 2009

CookieMonster wrote:

DasFox wrote:

open source != free use in a commercial product.

What are you trying to say?

Message 9 of 63 (6,915 Views)
0 Likes