First Son
9 posts

Re: * The Playstation 3 Can Have NTFS Support - This Is How If You Want It! *

Oct 14, 2010

NT Technology = ATM machine

I agree with you simply for individual filesize limitations. I'm tired of keeping vid files under 4 gigs so I can put them on my ps3 external, which also means I have to juggle two externals as one needs to be pc specific with NTFS so I can maintain some actual usability.

Message 61 of 63 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Oct 14, 2010

KaiserKreb wrote:

NT Technology = ATM machine

I agree with you simply for individual filesize limitations. I'm tired of keeping vid files under 4 gigs so I can put them on my ps3 external, which also means I have to juggle two externals as one needs to be pc specific with NTFS so I can maintain some actual usability.

streaming your movies would solve both your issues.

Photobucket
Message 62 of 63 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
8 posts

Sep 11, 2012

Hi guys! I recently purchased an "Adata C103 16 GB" USB stick and I tried putting some movies on it from my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit). The movies I tried putting on it were 8 GB+ but since the USB stick had 14.7 GB available on it I thought it would not be a problem. It was a problem though.. Got a message saying the files were too big for the selected partition or something, so I did some Googling and found out that the formatting FAT32 of the USB stick meant it could only take upto 4 GB per file. So then I Googled some more and found out that I had to format it to NTFS to get rid of the stupid 4 GB file size limitation. So I did format it to NTFS, put the movies on the USB stick in folders: "H:\PS3\VIDEO", and plugged it into the PS3. Strangely enough the PS3 did not see the USB stick! There was no folder of the USB stick in the video section! So I Googled some more and THEN found out that the PS3 did not support NTFS because that would mean they would have to pay Microsoft to use it. WHAT?!

What now? I really want to get those movies onto my PS3. Is there a way for me to get past the 4 GB file size limit of the FAT32 formatting so that I do not have to split my movies into parts less than 4 GB big? Is there a way to make the PS3 (updated to the latest firmware) be able to read NTFS? Help!

I tried using PS3 Media Server on my computer to be able to browse my computers folders and files, but when trying to copy large movie files (I think like over 3GB or something) the transfer just keeps on going, even when the original file size has been passed. For example, I would transfer a video file of 8 GB to my PS3 with the program, but it would keep going on with the transfer, even after 8 GB. After a couple of hours I end up with a transfer of over 20 GB and counting! So streaming is not an option for me.

Message 63 of 63 (222 Views)
0 Likes