Wastelander
694 posts

Re: The PlayStation 4 gives up 5.5GB of RAM to game developers

Jul 26, 2013

I'm not taking sides here, but the phrase, "Who do you think you are?"  being lobbed at someone who's been a member of the community four years longer than you, and with double the posts seems more than a little antagonistic.

Sir.

He may have been a registered "forum member" longer, but that has nothing do to with being apart of the community; i could say that i have been with playstation since the day i bought a launch PS1, was apart of the Playstation Underground and have been with Sony for quite some time; which is completely true but that's not the point.

The reason why I said "who do you think you are?" is because the comments made happen to sound just like what the reps say "We don't comment on rumor or speculation". 

Instead, the use of suttle bashing of a person commenting by saying "ounce of common sense" or "only people who think it's worth discussing are the ones who want to jump to MS", is represented as quite offensive to the person who is trying to discuss things. 

"I hope this isn't true, because......"  never occurs. 

There is no point in saying things like this because it just gets off topic, just like this post explaining this.  so i will no longer comment. 

Message 31 of 46 (420 Views)
Sackboy
569 posts

Jul 26, 2013

Quick show of hands: how many of you actually know what an extra 2-4g of ram allows games to do?

The rest of you: whyyyyyyyyyyy do you even care?

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 32 of 46 (418 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5221 posts

Jul 26, 2013

teeborg wrote:

Quick show of hands: how many of you actually know what an extra 2-4g of ram allows games to do?

::raises hand::

MORE RAM MEANS BIGGER EXPLOSIONS AND MORE POWER. /s

Seriously, I don't really care. Games won't be 4.5 gb for a while anytime. 

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 33 of 46 (402 Views)
Sackboy
569 posts

Jul 26, 2013

ExMimic wrote:

teeborg wrote:

::raises hand::

MORE RAM MEANS BIGGER EXPLOSIONS AND MORE POWER. 

Michael Bay, ladies and gentlemen.

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 34 of 46 (397 Views)
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Jul 26, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

I find it a little hard to beileve that the PS4's OS will be as bloated as the XB1's Win8-based OS, which will also use over 3GB of the XB1's 8GB RAM.

Even on the PS3 (where RAM is at a premium from the get-go), the OS (XMB) shuts down to free up space for games/apps when you start something up.  I imagine the PS4's OS will, at the very least, go into a hibernation mode where critical system information is transferred to the HDD 'swap file' when a game/app is started.

Still, with the speed that GDDR5 RAM operates at and the multi-thread bus that the PS4 will utilize between CPU/GPU and RAM, it may not matter.

IS THE X BONE GONNA HAVE METRO? EWWWWW

Message 35 of 46 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Jul 26, 2013

Considering that memory is mainly for holding textures and some smaller bits of data, this actually doesn't bother me since it's unified GDDR5 at 5.5Ghz 

The Nvidia Titan has 6GB GDDR5 which made running games at higher than 1080i/p resolutions possible on 1 gpu.

PCs use the DDR3 memory for hosting the OS, other bits, texture cache ect. which can take longer to load from than the unified memory.

We'll still have great looking games coming out.

Considering that game devs are improving on how games are handled such as The Last of Us running with 256MB of video memory is astonishing for the level of detail. I think we'll see more amazing advancements later in the life cycle when the devs start to learn tricks they can do to make improvements. 

Message 36 of 46 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7142 posts

Jul 26, 2013

da1writer wrote:

My god...

After making some phone calls and talking to some of the neogaf devs (there are actual game devs on that forum who I'm friends with before their fame to game). It's confirmed and now I have to edit PlayStation Spec portion of the PS4 main thread ...

http://www.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=73024816

"-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking
-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.
-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.
-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it"

I was also told that due to this Lowering of ram for the developers, the CPU clock can be overclocked to compensate.

Where did I hear that before...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/sony-playstation-4-fcc/

If this is true than the OS footprint is still only 2.5GB and far less than MS.

Again this is still rumor and hearsay. No offense but "I have a friend of a friend still means nothing".

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 37 of 46 (291 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6025 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

da1writer wrote:

My god...

After making some phone calls and talking to some of the neogaf devs (there are actual game devs on that forum who I'm friends with before their fame to game). It's confirmed and now I have to edit PlayStation Spec portion of the PS4 main thread ...

http://www.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=73024816

"-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking
-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.
-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.
-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it"

I was also told that due to this Lowering of ram for the developers, the CPU clock can be overclocked to compensate.

Where did I hear that before...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/sony-playstation-4-fcc/

If this is true than the OS footprint is still only 2.5GB and far less than MS.

Again this is still rumor and hearsay. No offense but "I have a friend of a friend still means nothing".

Mind you, it doesn't matter too much to me unlike the new thread creators that seem to be popping up all of a sudden.

I'm simply passing on information I was told, whether rumor or not. I also know in the PS4 main thread of my release date of the console is only that... A rumor.

If great games are pumped out the system, I could care less about specs.

Message 38 of 46 (281 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 27, 2013

While I don't doubt that this rumor is based on some documentation that Eurogamer got their hands on, allow me to point out that the article clearly illustrates that these allocations are based on DEV KITS and that their source of the information is a DEVELOPER who disclosed information which was contained in a document from Sony pertaining to the dev kits.  This is NOT the consumer version of the PS4 that is being discussed in the article. Therefore, it would be a mistake to take these specifications as hard facts as to what we'll be gettiing when the PS4 is released to consumers. Let me give you a very reasonable and very realistic possibility of what this article might really equate to:

To me, it would make perfect sense if Sony, quite aware that most games this early in PS4's life cycle won't utilize more than 4GB of RAM on average. That being the case, they may have sent out a document requesting that current devopers aim for that mark. In this stage of the PS4, Sony is undoubtedly still heavily tweaking the OS and for that reason they might have told developers that they want to set aside 2-3.5GB of RAM for the OS developement team to freely play around with while they figure out exactly what they want to include in the PS4 OS experience. They even went as far as to state that in the contigency that developers actually managed to make a game amazing enough to require a little more RAM at this stage, they would allow it if it was justified. 

In short, this may simply be a place-holder; a request to early developers to leave plenty of RAM for the OS. I think it is an obvious over-compensation intentionally set by Sony for the consideration of their OS development team to "have at it" with all of their crazy concepts before it is edited down for the final release version. I can't imagine that Sony would start out with a bare-bones OS like FreeBDS and end up with something that actually requires twice the amount of RAM as Windows 7. With everything they've done right with the PS4 so far, could they really screw up that bad on the OS? 

Message 39 of 46 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5704 posts

Jul 27, 2013

I don't even know what this stuff means can someone explain it to me?

photo f9ed0560-3816-41c2-9bbf-cb66d0260acb_zpsyrnrzise.jpg
Message 40 of 46 (227 Views)
0 Likes