MVP Support
27612 posts

Re: The PSVITA, its western delay, and features for the future...

Aug 5, 2011

blazinmonkey7 wrote:

Also it would be great if sony actually kept the Internet free for the vita instead using at&t which is more than likely is going to charge you monthly for the service.

I don't know what you mean by keeping it free.  The Vita is the first Sony handheld console to support wireless broadband networks.  The PSP only supported Wi-Fi, which is often, but not always, free.  It depends on who and where you are.  That has not changed at all for the Vita.  If you have the Vita that supports 3G, they you need a contract with AT&T to use the wireless broadband feature.  It is optional.  You don't have to use it, and you can still use free Wi-Fi networks without paying, just as you could with the PSP.  Sony isn't getting any money for Vita Internet access.  What you pay to AT&T goes entirely to AT&T to pay for the wireless broadband network access.  Sony isn't going to pay that for you, any more than Apple does.

GPS features are a software issue.  Given the focus of the Vita on gaming, I expect that the GPS feature is intended to support games and game related functions only; and will not be designed to replace a smartphone or dedicated GPS device.

There is no video output port on the current Vita.  The first PSP didn't have it either, so it may be added later; but it is also possible that TV display may be going the way of the PSP.

GKP
Message 11 of 13 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Aug 5, 2011

The idea of using PSN cards to esentially top-up the 3G would be very convienent but, there is some confusion amoung consumers under a certain age and with little to no epxerience in terms of their lack of knowledge in the PS Vita smartphone-like features (3G, GPS, Livearea, etc).

Sony should probably inform all the people by clarifying and making more walthroughs on psvita.com. Posting some proper info on that should be good for pre-launch knowledge on the hardware. People who have already bought the Vita can just use "Welcome Park" which basically informs the user of the features.

Message 12 of 13 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
19 posts

Aug 6, 2011

gkpama00 wrote:

I don't know what you mean by keeping it free.  The Vita is the first Sony handheld console to support wireless broadband networks.  The PSP only supported Wi-Fi, which is often, but not always, free.  It depends on who and where you are.  That has not changed at all for the Vita.  If you have the Vita that supports 3G, they you need a contract with AT&T to use the wireless broadband feature.  It is optional.  You don't have to use it, and you can still use free Wi-Fi networks without paying, just as you could with the PSP.  Sony isn't getting any money for Vita Internet access.  What you pay to AT&T goes entirely to AT&T to pay for the wireless broadband network access.  Sony isn't going to pay that for you, any more than Apple does.

GPS features are a software issue.  Given the focus of the Vita on gaming, I expect that the GPS feature is intended to support games and game related functions only; and will not be designed to replace a smartphone or dedicated GPS device.

There is no video output port on the current Vita.  The first PSP didn't have it either, so it may be added later; but it is also possible that TV display may be going the way of the PSP.

GKP

Okay thank you for the great explanation and sorry about the confusion on the free Internet, but you pretty much nailed everything down.  Oh thanks for not being a jerk about my comment, I hate when people get mad over someone else's confusion. They just need to calmly explain things just like you did.

It really sucks that the vita won't have a video out though. I guess I'll just wait until they add that in.

Message 13 of 13 (4 Views)
0 Likes