Jul 13 2012
By: Rob27shred Lombax Warrior 257 posts

The PS3 could've used an e-sata port on it.

6 replies 131 views Edited Jul 13, 2012

I really wish that Sony would've had the foresight to have included an e-sata port on the PS3. I just recently decided to upgrade my PS3's HD from a WD Scorpio Blue 640GB 5400rpm to a SG Momentus 750GB 7200rpm drive. Well due the large amount of data I have on my PS3 (almost 400GB) this has turned into a very long & drawn out process. Since the USB 2.0 ports on the PS3 are the only option for exporting/importing from an ext. source my backup & restore from backup take roughly 9 1/2 hrs. Now I realize that when the PS3 was designed the form factor 2.5", H 9.5mm, W 69.75mm, L 100.3mm type HD Sony used for it was only capable of holding a maximum of 320GB of data (I may be wrong but I don't think 500GB HDs that fit in the PS3 were available at PS3's launch). Also the largest HD available in the PS3 at launch was 60GB so USB 2.0 wouldn't take so long to backup/restore up to 60GB of data. But Sony did design the PS3 so that the HD could be upgraded & the console was planned to have a 10 yr lifespan. Now knowing those last 2 things any semi intelligent person would assume that a lot of PS3 owners would upgrade their HDs to the max size available probably more than once,  that most PS3 owners would accumulate hundreds of GB of data during the consoles lifespan, & that USB 2.0 would take a very long time transferring hundreds of GB of data. E-sata has been available since 2004 & it just seems like a bad decision to me to not add a e-sata port to the PS3. Especially when you consider the PS3 launch units included 4 USB 2.0 ports & a flash card reader. Also it would've made sense to at the very least add e-sata to the slim models considering they are available with 120GB, 160GB, 250GB, & 320GB HDs out of the box. I guess I can hope that the rumored new models of the PS3 actually release & include e-sata, that would make me upgrade from my CECHL01 model PS3.

Message 1 of 7 (131 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Re: The PS3 could've used an e-sata port on it.

Jul 13, 2012

Rob27shred wrote:

I really wish that Sony would've had the foresight to have included an e-sata port on the PS3. I just recently decided to upgrade my PS3's HD from a WD Scorpio Blue 640GB 5400rpm to a SG Momentus 750GB 7200rpm drive. Well due the large amount of data I have on my PS3 (almost 400GB) this has turned into a very long & drawn out process. Since the USB 2.0 ports on the PS3 are the only option for exporting/importing from an ext. source my backup & restore from backup take roughly 9 1/2 hrs. Now I realize that when the PS3 was designed the form factor 2.5", H 9.5mm, W 69.75mm, L 100.3mm type HD Sony used for it was only capable of holding a maximum of 320GB of data (I may be wrong but I don't think 500GB HDs that fit in the PS3 were available at PS3's launch). Also the largest HD available in the PS3 at launch was 60GB so USB 2.0 wouldn't take so long to backup/restore up to 60GB of data. But Sony did design the PS3 so that the HD could be upgraded & the console was planned to have a 10 yr lifespan. Now knowing those last 2 things any semi intelligent person would assume that a lot of PS3 owners would upgrade their HDs to the max size available probably more than once,  that most PS3 owners would accumulate hundreds of GB of data during the consoles lifespan, & that USB 2.0 would take a very long time transferring hundreds of GB of data. E-sata has been available since 2004 & it just seems like a bad decision to me to not add a e-sata port to the PS3. Especially when you consider the PS3 launch units included 4 USB 2.0 ports & a flash card reader. Also it would've made sense to at the very least add e-sata to the slim models considering they are available with 120GB, 160GB, 250GB, & 320GB HDs out of the box. I guess I can hope that the rumored new models of the PS3 actually release & include e-sata, that would make me upgrade from my CECHL01 model PS3.

They didn't say that the console would have a ten year lifespan. They said it would have a SUPPORT CYCLE of ten years. There's a veritable chasm between the two. 

Message 2 of 7 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Jul 13, 2012

OK I did get that one wrong but regardless of that difference Sony is expecting PS3 owners to have & use the console for up to 10 yrs & that was the point I was trying to get across by mentioning the planned support cycle for the PS3. The PS3 has been around now for almost 6 yrs. & think of the amount of data we have put on our PS3s just from installing games. Once you get around 100GB of data on your PS3's HD the backup & restore from backup processes get to be about 2 1/2 hrs for one of them to complete. Most people I know who own a PS3 have much more data than that on it's HD making USB2.0 a very slow route to use to import/export that amount of data. E-sata could just about cut those times in half. Being that it was widely available & a commonly used component in PCs at the time of PS3's release I feel that e-sata support would've been a very useful addition to the PS3.

Message 3 of 7 (124 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Jul 13, 2012

At this point they are not going to undertake the added expense to add any new hardware. 

Second, the Playstation 3, despite what many "technophiles" want to believe, is not a PC. So expecting it to have the same functionality as a garden variety PC just isn't realistic. At the time of the PS3's launch it may have been too costly to include E-SATA, and with the PS3 having a proprietary architecture, it would make an already expensive piece of hardware even more so. 

Message 4 of 7 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Jul 13, 2012

I would have to agree with you that Sony's reasoning on not including e-sata was more than likely cost effectiveness, especially at launch. But I would also have to disagree on your second point. You forget that even though the PS3 is not an actual PC out of the box it was originally designed to perform as PC if you desired it to. Before they did away with it in a firmware update you could install a Linux or Unix OS on the PS3 & use it as a PC. Which in my mind makes expecting it to have the same functionalities as a PC very reasonable. But honestly it just frustrates me having to wait 9 1/2 hrs. for a backup when there is a much more viable technology that could've been included in the most technologically advanced console gaming machine of this generation.

Message 5 of 7 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2012

Fortunately, hard drive upgrades aren't something that's done often.

I'm hoping the next generation PlayStation supports NTFS or other modern, efficient file system for external drives. Might help with the ridiculous backup times. There's a great deal of overhead in the backup process, and I think it's unlikely that Backup Utility uses all of the available bandwidth for USB 2.0.

Message 6 of 7 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Jul 15, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

Fortunately, hard drive upgrades aren't something that's done often.

I'm hoping the next generation PlayStation supports NTFS or other modern, efficient file system for external drives. Might help with the ridiculous backup times. There's a great deal of overhead in the backup process, and I think it's unlikely that Backup Utility uses all of the available bandwidth for USB 2.0.

Gotta agree with you on that, I'm up to 318GB of free space since my upgrade & that should hopefully last for a couple yrs. But with the way Sony has stepped up the PS Plus service I've been really burning through the space on my HD lately. I also think the Backup Utility doesn't even come close to the 25 to 30MB/s write speed you can usually get out of USB2.0. My latest backup took 9 1/2 hrs. for 380GB of data, to lazy to do the math right now but that is well under 25MB/s. Here's to hoping Sony will support a more efficient file system & faster technologies for the ext. connections on the PS4.

Message 7 of 7 (90 Views)
0 Likes