Mar 04 2012
By: FORMIK Sackboy 611 posts

The Logical Direction for the PlayStation Store

12 replies 52 views Edited Mar 4, 2012

Since February 2012, the PlayStation Network has been one of four parts that make up the Sony Entertainment Network, or SEN.  As Sony pushes toward cohesion, one thing is becoming apparent: the PlayStation Store needs to integrate other media and become a more fluid service.

The SEN is comprised of four services: PlayStation Network – and three non-gaming services – Video Unlimited, Music Unlimited, and the upcoming PlayMemories Online.  Within the PlayStation Network is the PlayStation Store, where one can browse the vast library of games, movies and TV shows.  Why then, does it also contain the videos available on the Video Unlimited Preview app?  Actions might be going on behind the scenes, but this “preview” app has been on the PS3 since September 2011.  Do away with the Video Unlimited app on the PS3, but with a catch: implement the layout design of the Video Unlimited app for the PlayStation Store.

For those not aware, the Video Unlimited Preview app has an excellent search feature which allows you to use various parameters when browsing videos, to include topics.  By using the same organization of the Video Unlimited Preview app for the PlayStation Store, customers searching for the Dead Nation video game could also look into the “zombie” topic to see the Dawn of the Dead movie, and Walking Dead TV show. While they might receive a lot of “dead” results, the actual search will be very lively.  The fluidity of this format for the store also allows for other possibilities.

By including additional media in the new PlayStation Store, you would also broaden search results.  Integrate the Digital Comic Reader app from the PSP into the new PlayStation Store for the Vita.  Now that zombie search will also bring up Marvel Zombies.  Look at Marvel Zombies, and the latest Marvel superhero movies available would appear, as well as say, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for the PS3 and Vita.

Take the integration a step further.  Sony has an e-reader called the Sony Reader, with thousands of e-books available for download.  Release a Sony Reader app for the Vita.  Now, that PlayStation Store search of zombie-related media could also yield search results for “Zombie Survival Guide” and “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”.

Considering that the “unlimited” part of Video Unlimited is a misnomer on the PS3, this integration makes even more sense.  Customers using the new PlayStation Store could browse games, movies, TV shows, comics and e-books – all tagged for easy and expansive search results.  Music Unlimited would still provide a music subscription, and PlayMemories Online would still allow for photo management.  The PlayStation Store on the PS3 and Vita would be the place for PlayStation Network users to find all their favorite media, from undead to superheroes and everything in between.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Re: The Logical Direction for the PlayStation Store

Mar 5, 2012

I completely agree. Thiswould be an awesome update to the Store. I can't wait for this to happen.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
611 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Thanks!  This just seems blatently obvious to me, so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that sees the potential here.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I like the ideas you have highlighted. My issue is it seems to take Sony so long to update its Playstation 3/Vita software that by the time its done people like Xbox Live etc have allready done it. Things need to be done a lot faster.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
611 posts

Mar 5, 2012

What's great about this, is most of the infrastructure is already in place.  The only thing that would take time is updating the Store and adding the content which already exists in other Sony locations.

- Take the existing Video Unlimited format

- Incorporate and tag all PlayStation Store game content

- Add and tag comics from PSP Digital Comic Reader app and e-books from Sony Reader Store

- Update the PlayStation Store for the PS3 and Vita

Something like this would add a tremendous amount of value to the store, as so much would be available in a clean presentation.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 8, 2012

Some very good valid points. I personally don't have an eReader but do seen the use. Sony as a company has a lot of device and need to make them more unified. While they are at it they should add connectivity to their up coming experia phones.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
611 posts

Mar 8, 2012

This would present their media in such a way that I believe people couldn't help but notice how much content is offered.  The current problem I see is that there's no clearly defined way to see just all that Sony offers, and while it's all scattered it could all be available on a wider range of systems as I've shown here.

I don't know much about Xperia phones but do think all smart phones should at least offer a PSN app that allows people to manage their account, view friends lists and send messages.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 5, 2012

Great thinking, I would totoaly go for a PS Store that was built like the Video Unlimited app.  It would be slick and like you said searching would be easy and bring up many relavent items.

On the other hand what I would like to see is Video Unlimited not downloading rented video's but actually streaming them.

John

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
611 posts

Apr 14, 2012

Yes, the main draw I feel would be the vast results from searches.  A close 2nd would be how everything could be categorized, and new media could be discovered in a fun way.  Something the Video Unlimited preview app does on the PS3, but with untapped potential.

I agree, it is odd that we cannot stream the movies provided by Video Unlimited. What's more, you can rent or buy free things.  Why rent something that's free, only for a movie trailer to be expired after two days?  Things with a zero dollar price shouldn't be listed the same.

Thanks for your response!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Apr 16, 2012

You have some valid points but with the direction Sony is moving to incorporate Playstation network into Sony Online entertainment I think if anything the opposite of what you are saying will happen and has already started to happen. If anything I feel that the Playstation network will be disbanded into Sony Online Entertainment. We already saw this start with the switch to SOE accounts from existing PSN accounts. I wouldn't mind actually seeing PSN integrated into a games Unlimited account. Hell I loved Music Unlimited and when I get back to the states on Thursday (I've been away for a year) I plan to check out Movie Unlimited. As far as I'm concerned games Unlimited already exists I just call it PS+ and it is awesome and I love everything about it! Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (52 Views)
0 Likes