Sep 24 2013
By: rojito Treasure Hunter 7199 posts

The Last Guardian Is Not Dead!

[ Edited ]
6 replies 498 views Edited Mar 18, 2014

Latest confirmation according to SCE Worldwide Studios PlayStation software product development head Scott Rohde. [Source]

The Last Guardian – the PlayStation-exclusive title from Team ICO which has now been in development for some eight years – is still “absolutely in the mix” at Sony, according to Scott Rohde, one of the men in charge of Sony’s roster of fully-owned studios.

In a conversation with IGN, “You’re going to be very frustrated by this answer,” Rohde said, “but it is 100 percent the God’s honest truth, and that is that we want to make great games. And when we see that the public is so interested in a specific game, of course that drives us to want to complete that game. But it also drives us to want to make it great. We would not want to ship that game if we don’t think it’s great.”

When asked whether it was still a PlayStation 3 game or if it’s migrated to PlayStation 4, Rohde said that he’s “not going to announce what platform it’s coming on, who’s working on it, who’s involved. But that is still a title that’s absolutely in the mix at Worldwide Studios. That’s the most you’re gonna get.”

Later in the conversation, Rohde noted that he “actually like[s] talking about The Last Guardian. I love that people are still interested in it. That’s an honor to us. That’s not just me spinning… It’s really cool that people are still interested in it, and we’re trying to make the best thing we can out of The Last Guardian.”

Given your impatience, how taxing have the past eight years been on you as a creator?
Putting aside the short-term output, more than anything I feel terribly sorry that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time.

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?
Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

Why did you decide to go freelance?
It’s difficult to explain, but in a nutshell it was because I felt a sense of crisis within myself about a lot of things. It’s hard to [say exactly what], but in terms of my own growth and career and so on.

What did it feel like to leave a company where you had worked for so long?
When I worked at SCE, I was on an annual contract, so it was not as much of a change as those around me might think. Recently, I’ve been working at my home office and often at SCE’s Shinagawa office in Tokyo.

What was Sony’s reaction?
It was not easy, but I can’t go into the details just yet. It will be good to be able to discuss it along with a post-mortem of The Last Guardian someday.

What are you working on now?
The Last Guardian and the rest is secret. Outside of games, well, just for a hobby, I’d like to try my hand at art.

[Source]

Today SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida cleared the doubts about the game (at least partly) in an interview on Famitsu.com.

At the moment the Japan Studio has reached an amount of people and resources allowing us to work on the titles we want to make: Gravity Rush by Toyama (Keiichiro), Puppeteer by Gavin (Moore), and of course The Last Guardian by Ueda (Fumito). Even if priority has been given to the development of Knack and Puppeteer you don’t need to worry. Please feel at ease, because production of The Last Guardian is continuing.

However, since at this stage we cannot give further updated information, we will introduce it once again when we’ll be able to communicate that information with confidence.

So there you have it, nothing has changed and the game is still in production.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 7 (498 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Re: The Last Guardian Is Not Dead!

Sep 25, 2013

they should just port the game to PS4.

by the time the game actually comes out no one will really care about the PS3. Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 7 (486 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4463 posts

Sep 28, 2013

Yea I have a feeling that if this game does ever come out it's going to be on PS4. I really do hope it sees the light of day one day.

Message 3 of 7 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7199 posts

Nov 22, 2013

Interview with Fumito Ueda, who is still working on the game.

Given your impatience, how taxing have the past eight years been on you as a creator?
Putting aside the short-term output, more than anything I feel terribly sorry that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time.

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?
Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

Why did you decide to go freelance?
It’s difficult to explain, but in a nutshell it was because I felt a sense of crisis within myself about a lot of things. It’s hard to [say exactly what], but in terms of my own growth and career and so on.

What did it feel like to leave a company where you had worked for so long?
When I worked at SCE, I was on an annual contract, so it was not as much of a change as those around me might think. Recently, I’ve been working at my home office and often at SCE’s Shinagawa office in Tokyo.

What was Sony’s reaction?
It was not easy, but I can’t go into the details just yet. It will be good to be able to discuss it along with a post-mortem of The Last Guardian someday.

What are you working on now?
The Last Guardian and the rest is secret. Outside of games, well, just for a hobby, I’d like to try my hand at art.

[Source]

Photobucket
Message 4 of 7 (432 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3859 posts

Nov 24, 2013

:^/ Dude, you realize that you've responded with this quoted information to the same thread that you created two months ago, opening with the same quote?

As for The Last Guardian, I'll be happy to see it, eventually.

Message 5 of 7 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7199 posts

Nov 26, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

:^/ Dude, you realize that you've responded with this quoted information to the same thread that you created two months ago, opening with the same quote?

I edited my first post to include my reply.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 7 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7199 posts

Mar 18, 2014

Updated

Latest confirmation according to SCE Worldwide Studios PlayStation software product development head Scott Rohde. [Source]

Photobucket
Message 7 of 7 (349 Views)
0 Likes