Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Re: The Current State and Future of Gaming

Feb 1, 2014

BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

My biggest fear of going all digital is this:

Those clouds / servers won't be there forever and it is foolish to believe they will be.

So by owning these things physically I can sell them, roll around in them like Scrooge McDuck, or even pass them on when I die -- and not have to worry about my whole digital collection being gone forever when my HDD dies and the cloud / server is shut off because a company went belly-up.

Why not just back the stuff up, like any music and such, on a external harddrive? I never use the cloud to listen to any music (like amazons cloud player), I have them all backed up as files on my harddrive/external drive, and any music I want to listen to in my car (because my car was the model year before they put in aux jacks) I burn onto CDs.

I have back-ups of my CD's on two hard drives. That way if my CDs ever got wrecked or stolen, I still have them digitally. If 1 hard drive goes out, at least I have them backed up on an extra drive.

Now as for video games, I couldn't see myself paying extra money to buy some hard drives in order to back-up my PS3 games.

And if I did, the point of my statement was this: If the servers (PSN) one day go down, I can't ever re-download those games if the day comes my hard drives go out.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 21 of 36 (101 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1071 posts

Feb 1, 2014
thats the one reason i wont ever go all digital: the servers go down. yeah i think digital is good but so is having the physical copy available. but one other downside to digital copies is that stupid law that sony or whoever has to get permisson from the company to put a game up, and the company no longer exists the game gets put down. imagine if rockstar went belly up, there goes gta5 and online.

The-White-Wolf-Sig.jpg

Message 22 of 36 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Feb 1, 2014

jgrizzle358 wrote:

chaos_789 wrote:

jgrizzle358 wrote:

Hermaeus_Moron wrote:

In one sense, I wouldn't really mind, I don't need a physical disc... but I DO want full, uncompromised ownership of my purchase.  Not a license tied to one username, or a game which can only be played online.  So until I can be promised that (i.e., never) then I want physical copies as an option.

What I want and what we'll get, of course, are entirely different things.  Plus, all-digital gaming will be introduced slowly so that everyone learns to accept it, and by the time it's too late to reverse course only a minority will  still care anyways.

a lot of people put up the argument that you down't actually OWN a physical game, you just own the rights to play it, but it still belongs to the publisher. I don't buy into this nonsense personally, but it's an interesting concept.

But if I bought the game, and it's in my house, it's mine. That's how I see it.  

If you read all the ToS and stuff for the games, it actually says right on it, for physical disc games, that this is only licensed to you and you don`t own it, I think some might even say they have the right to take back the game if you break the licensing agreements.

I also like physical disc much more, I sometimes buy digitally, but the majority of my games are physically owned

They have to slap all that stuff on for legal reasons, but the fact still remains that once it gets into my house it's mine to do with as I please, play it, sell it, eat it, have sex with it, use it as a frisbee, whatever. The publisher may reserve the right to kick down my door and take it back, but there's a 00000000000000.1% chance of that happening. 

Didn't need all the zeroes since they came before the decimal point.  0.1% would suffice, unless you meant to do something like "0.000001%", which would be a much lesser chance than what you wrote.

Just a tip for next time!

Message 23 of 36 (96 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
887 posts

Feb 1, 2014

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

jgrizzle358 wrote:

chaos_789 wrote:

jgrizzle358 wrote:

Hermaeus_Moron wrote:

In one sense, I wouldn't really mind, I don't need a physical disc... but I DO want full, uncompromised ownership of my purchase.  Not a license tied to one username, or a game which can only be played online.  So until I can be promised that (i.e., never) then I want physical copies as an option.

What I want and what we'll get, of course, are entirely different things.  Plus, all-digital gaming will be introduced slowly so that everyone learns to accept it, and by the time it's too late to reverse course only a minority will  still care anyways.

a lot of people put up the argument that you down't actually OWN a physical game, you just own the rights to play it, but it still belongs to the publisher. I don't buy into this nonsense personally, but it's an interesting concept.

But if I bought the game, and it's in my house, it's mine. That's how I see it.  

If you read all the ToS and stuff for the games, it actually says right on it, for physical disc games, that this is only licensed to you and you don`t own it, I think some might even say they have the right to take back the game if you break the licensing agreements.

I also like physical disc much more, I sometimes buy digitally, but the majority of my games are physically owned

They have to slap all that stuff on for legal reasons, but the fact still remains that once it gets into my house it's mine to do with as I please, play it, sell it, eat it, have sex with it, use it as a frisbee, whatever. The publisher may reserve the right to kick down my door and take it back, but there's a 00000000000000.1% chance of that happening. 

Didn't need all the zeroes since they came before the decimal point.  0.1% would suffice, unless you meant to do something like "0.000001%", which would be a much lesser chance than what you wrote.

Just a tip for next time!

yeah... that's what I meant.

Exophase Gamercard
Message 24 of 36 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

Feb 1, 2014
I prefer physical media, and always will. That said, I do have a lot of digital downloads now, and do think they have their advantages. A lot of digital only titles wouldn't work as full retail releases, but that doesn't mean they're not worth playing, for a reduced price. I have actually re-purchased some games when they were re-released on disc collections, mind you. I already owned two of the games in Best of Playstation Network Vol. 1 for example, but buying that set allowed me to delete those games, and now I know they can never be taken away from me, even if the servers are shut off. I love Tokyo Jungle enough that I think I want to actually own it anyways. Digital downloads have provided some publishers a cheaper avenue for localizing games, so even if a game is only available digitally in NA, I'm ok with that. When it comes to what little import gaming I've dabbled in, I didn't have a great experience with the one physical copy I've imported, so I tend to prefer digital downloads for that sort of thing.

Digital downloads are convenient for some things though. I'm done collecting ps1 and ps2 games, for example, but I might buy psn downloads, or HD collections. I think I am officially done collecting psp games too. If any catch my interest now, I will opt for a digital copy. For my ps3, ps4, vita, and other systems though, I will buy a physical copy if it's an option. If it's not an option, I'm not going to deny myself the experience of playing games that interest me, just because I prefer physical copies.

That said, MS is clearly pushing their own agenda, hence why I don't support them, or buy any of their systems. Heck, I've even gone all Apple for my non-videogame devices. They could release a Kinectless sku, which people actually want, and that would allow them to bring the price of their system in line with the ps4, but no, they won't do that, because they clearly don't understand the concept of an optional accessory. Everytime they open their mouth, or leak something they're planning, they're causing me grief. For the fourth gen in a row, I'm content with the latest Playstation, and may or may not invest in the latest Ninty console to go along with it.
Message 25 of 36 (80 Views)
MVP Support
14109 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2014

tross88 wrote:
I prefer physical media, and always will. That said, I do have a lot of digital downloads now, and do think they have their advantages. A lot of digital only titles wouldn't work as full retail releases, but that doesn't mean they're not worth playing, for a reduced price. I have actually re-purchased some games when they were re-released on disc collections, mind you. I already owned two of the games in Best of Playstation Network Vol. 1 for example, but buying that set allowed me to delete those games, and now I know they can never be taken away from me, even if the servers are shut off. I love Tokyo Jungle enough that I think I want to actually own it anyways. Digital downloads have provided some publishers a cheaper avenue for localizing games, so even if a game is only available digitally in NA, I'm ok with that. When it comes to what little import gaming I've dabbled in, I didn't have a great experience with the one physical copy I've imported, so I tend to prefer digital downloads for that sort of thing.

Digital downloads are convenient for some things though. I'm done collecting ps1 and ps2 games, for example, but I might buy psn downloads, or HD collections. I think I am officially done collecting psp games too. If any catch my interest now, I will opt for a digital copy. For my ps3, ps4, vita, and other systems though, I will buy a physical copy if it's an option. If it's not an option, I'm not going to deny myself the experience of playing games that interest me, just because I prefer physical copies.

That said, MS is clearly pushing their own agenda, hence why I don't support them, or buy any of their systems. Heck, I've even gone all Apple for my non-videogame devices. They could release a Kinectless sku, which people actually want, and that would allow them to bring the price of their system in line with the ps4, but no, they won't do that, because they clearly don't understand the concept of an optional accessory. Everytime they open their mouth, or leak something they're planning, they're causing me grief. For the fourth gen in a row, I'm content with the latest Playstation, and may or may not invest in the latest Ninty console to go along with it.

Yea, especially if the game would take up a lot of space either on a memory card, ala: a Vita or on a console like the PS3 or the PS4. It doesn't make a lot of sense to download big games like that if you don't have to. Unless it's one that's not available in a physical version, then that would make for an exception to that rule.

Seconded about MS, I have a laptop by them... but I'd NEVER get a console by them. For one thing they don't have enough of a selection game wise that I'd be interested in and I just don't like the direction that they're going in. Imho, I think that they're doing worse in some aspects than Sony and Nintendo. Yes the Wii-U isn't selling as well, but I have yet to see Nintendo go to the extent to get people buying the system as Microsoft has so far. They've done somethings to try and boost sales, but it doesn't quite reek with the same desperation that Microsoft has been showing as of late.

Same here. I just got my first Playstation system since the PS2 and I'm happy with it so far. I also got the Wii-U and it's been great too. Both systems are well made and were worth the money I paid for them.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 26 of 36 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2014
@Box9Missingo: I did at one point in time respect MS. I almost invested in their previous systems at one point or another. It's not as if I didn't respect their ability to make a name for their line of consoles. But I always knew people who had their systems, and they slowly but surely pushed my buttons more and more. But enough about them. I'm not bashing the competition. I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Memory space is definitely an issue for me. I have an 80G ps3. Well, technically it's a 74G ps3, falsely advertised as an 80G, but I think the world will end before companies are finally honest about how much memory their HDDs and memory cards have. I'm aware that a ps3's HDD can be swapped out, but I don't have the technical knowledge to understand what I'm doing, and the longer I left it, the more I figured there's no point in changing it, especially now that I have a ps4. At least that has 408G, and I don't mind deleting physical games when I'm not playing them. I may consider swapping out its HDD though, since it's early in the gen. Vita memory is quite expensive. I at least had the foresight to invest in a bunch of memory sticks for my psp, so my only concern there is whether I'll actually end up using all the space on my pro-duos. I currently have an extra 8G vita memory card, but that will fill up eventually.

I tend to play psp games, ps1 classics, and minis on my psp to save space on my other ps systems. Memory is one advantage to owning physical copies of games. It's not the primary reason I do it, but it's a big part of the reason why the only system I have invested in digital copies of full retail games for is my psp. I did have the downloadable version of the original LBP at one point, but I didn't have to pay for it, thanks to the infamous hack, and I got rid of it when I needed the space.

Yeah, for an all digital console to truly work, it needs to have at least a 1.5TB HDD, and by that I mean! it should come with it built in. The reason why I don't need as much memory is that the majority of my memory is taken up by digital only games, most of which aren't that big. That would change if I didn't have the choice of physical copies. Since it's highly unlikely that current consoles could have such an HDD built in, and still be reasonably priced, I'm going to say that I don't support an all digital console. An all digital handheld sounds more plausible, but the psp go was a miserable failure. Even though digital downloads are gaining ground now, I think the psp was a more convenient system for that sort of thing than the vita is currently, or its closest competitor. I think all digital consoles and handhelds will be more plausible in the future, but for the time being, I think that's a terrible idea.
Message 27 of 36 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

Feb 1, 2014

I'm aware that the future gaming will be online-only mode. With all dumb players only demands online mode and ignoring the offline sp mode, this will likely happen (take a look at The Division and Driveclub). What if Uncharted 4 will be online mode with co-op mode and PVP only? Players with low-internet speed like mine or who wants to play solo will be screwed.

Gran Turismo Fan | Love Live Fan | PC Technician

Gran Turismo 7 Suggestions

Message 28 of 36 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Feb 1, 2014
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
Old school style.
Insert game.
Play.
Internet not needed.
Message 29 of 36 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2014

Digital is the future, we saw that when MS tried to launch the XBone with all the restrictive features, and it was outcry from fans that made MS turn their policy 180 degrees.

But, PS Now, Steam has a streaming service, I am sure MS is working on something, that will Netflix-ize gaming. That is the future. This will be the last time there is a launch of hardware from Sony, MS, and others...games will be available on any device, and will be piecemeal style...like TellTale style games, $15 bucks an episode or something like that that.

It always strikes me as funny, when the hardware/software makers keep saying "our customers are asking for more internet integration,more online features, more social stuff". although that stuff is cool, i never hear anyone of my friends saying that. What they say is, I want good games, that are stable, on hardware that is stable.

I love having the physical disc, and will support buying discs as long as i can.

Message 30 of 36 (51 Views)
0 Likes