MVP Support
10631 posts

Re: The Current State and Future of Gaming

Jan 31, 2014

Ya, I am not saying that would happen, I just mean legally all games are licensed to you, so by law you don`t really own it, but the chance of them ever taking it back or anything is slim to none.

Message 11 of 36 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4189 posts

Jan 31, 2014

Like you I love my Disk collection. I do not trade or sell them. The main issue is to have it available when I want it. I think the consumers need to OWN will always win. Look at movies and blue ray sales. Many movies I never went to see I grab on blue ray. I can watch it when I want and how I want even in my boxers.

Streaming games will be limited for a long time. I don't see how they could stream 100 or 1,000's of games at the same time. I also think about that game I like but no one else likes that I can't find. I think Playstation Now will host a limited number of games much like Plus works now with a rotation. I love that it will feature games that I can no longer walk into a store and buy.

DRM I don't mind it being used as a copy protection as long as it can and will be removed over time or when the console is no longer supported. I don't like it because so many don't have access to the internet and will not be able to play games. Food and Shelter comes first and hard times can force anyone to drop internet service.

I like to think all this is just new options given to the consumers and not some conspiracy to collect more money and cheat us. I like the option to buy small games at a low cost and download them. As long as each avenue brings in enough profit to support it we will always see it. So!! All this depends on the consumers your money is your vote on what you want to see continue or change.

When the time comes someone is screwing over the consumer lets jump then. No reason to worry now with a lot of guess work. (they may be trying to etc..) Look at it as good options until proven not to be! Then the gamers voice will be LOUD and CLEAR.. Just ask Microsoft Man Wink

I Enjoy Gaming I don't hate anything about it!
The reason to buy a NEW console is to play NEW Games not old ones.
Message 12 of 36 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3859 posts

Jan 31, 2014

:^/ Good topic, Grizzle.

For me, physical media are the only way to go, and I don't want that method of distribution to ever end. Physical discs can do so much that digital distribution cannot match. When was the last time a digital download became a rare, highly sought-after collectible, after all? When have you ever found an older digital download at a yard sale, and taken it home for some retro fun? When have you ever taken a bunch of old digital downloads to trade towards newer games? Or traded them to a buddy for an old guitar he doesn't want anymore? And so on.

I also like the idea of digging out old games that I haven't played in years, even decades, just for the nostalgia of it. Say, Gorf on the Commodore 64 or Vic 20, anyone? Not that I do that terribly often anymore, but the choice is still mine, and I like it that way.

As for streaming my data to every device I own, that would be much more useful with productivity software, I would think. Let me bring my notes and research everywhere, and save games for dedicated down time. Veg out of the couch for a few hours in the afternoon, or evening, then get back to real-world projects that include creating stuff that never existed before, such as writing or drawing, etc.

There is a product out there called RockSmith. It's similar to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but instead of just earning trophies, it teaches you to play guitar for real. That's a skill one can take away from the console, and there are not a whole lot of titles that can make that claim. That's a direction I'd like to see more console titles take in the future.

I want to see voice recognition used to enable language software on consoles. Use the eye candy graphics and sounds to help me practice my Japanese, for example. I see a generation devoting hundreds and hundreds of hours to consoles. Let's blend real-world skills with video games' additive appeal and educate kids as they've never been educated before.

;^) Annnnd, this old man is rambling. Carry on.

Message 13 of 36 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1930 posts

Jan 31, 2014
Console gaming will be all digital by next gen probably. It's inevitable. The PC gaming market is almost exclusively digital to the point where when I built my PC I didn't even bother putting in a disc drive because I would never end up using it.
Message 14 of 36 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Jan 31, 2014

I like physically owning a copy of anything. Whether it be movies, music, or video games. If it comes out on a disc, I'll buy it. If it is a digital only title, well then I have no choice.

Although digital video games may be more convenient, I hope they never go all-digital -- and personally, I don't think they ever will.

More people download their music than they buy physical CDs, but that does not stop record companies from still releasing CDs (for collectors like myself) or even Vinyl (depending on the album / artist.) Same with movies. Streaming services are all the rage, but we still get releases on blu-ray/DVD combo packs.

I think video games will be the same. Even though we will see more and more games coming out digitally, I don't think that will stop publishers from putting out physical copies too. Except for small indie PSN titles, of course.

My biggest fear of going all digital is this:

Those clouds / servers won't be there forever and it is foolish to believe they will be.

So by owning these things physically I can sell them, roll around in them like Scrooge McDuck, or even pass them on when I die -- and not have to worry about my whole digital collection being gone forever when my HDD dies and the cloud / server is shut off because a company went belly-up.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 15 of 36 (100 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1655 posts

Jan 31, 2014

HorrorGod wrote:

I like physically owning a copy of anything. Whether it be movies, music, or video games. If it comes out on a disc, I'll buy it. If it is a digital only title, well then I have no choice.

Although digital video games may be more convenient, I hope they never go all-digital -- and personally, I don't think they ever will.

More people download their music than they buy physical CDs, but that does not stop record companies from still releasing CDs (for collectors like myself) or even Vinyl (depending on the album / artist.) Same with movies. Streaming services are all the rage, but we still get releases on blu-ray/DVD combo packs.

I think video games will be the same. Even though we will see more and more games coming out digitally, I don't think that will stop publishers from putting out physical copies too. Except for small indie PSN titles, of course.

My biggest fear of going all digital is this:

Those clouds / servers won't be there forever and it is foolish to believe they will be.

So by owning these things physically I can sell them, roll around in them like Scrooge McDuck, or even pass them on when I die -- and not have to worry about my whole digital collection being gone forever when my HDD dies and the cloud / server is shut off because a company went belly-up.

Why not just back the stuff up, like any music and such, on a external harddrive? I never use the cloud to listen to any music (like amazons cloud player), I have them all backed up as files on my harddrive/external drive, and any music I want to listen to in my car (because my car was the model year before they put in aux jacks) I burn onto CDs.

Message 16 of 36 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4098 posts

Jan 31, 2014

JohnKarnes wrote:

Like you I love my Disk collection. I do not trade or sell them. The main issue is to have it available when I want it. I think the consumers need to OWN will always win. Look at movies and blue ray sales. Many movies I never went to see I grab on blue ray. I can watch it when I want and how I want even in my boxers.

DRM I don't mind it being used as a copy protection as long as it can and will be removed over time or when the console is no longer supported. I don't like it because so many don't have access to the internet and will not be able to play games. Food and Shelter comes first and hard times can force anyone to drop internet service.

I like to think all this is just new options given to the consumers and not some conspiracy to collect more money and cheat us. I like the option to buy small games at a low cost and download them. As long as each avenue brings in enough profit to support it we will always see it. So!! All this depends on the consumers your money is your vote on what you want to see continue or change.

Also prefer the disc. Digital can be good, provided you don't have to worry about DRM. Streaming is a problem itself is since always online DRM. Besides legit consumers with internet troubles, it's also possible for streamed content to get pulled for any reason. http://torrentfreak.com/amazon-pulls-access-to-purchased-christmas-videos-during-christmas-131216/

DRM is any kind of copyright protection. They include weak measures like nag screens, incredibley strong measures like what you'd see in Earthbound (insane amounts of enemies showing up on the map slows down the game and the nastiest surprise happens in the middle of the final battle), sneaky measures like watermarks/CGEs (odds are you might not find out unless you research), paranoid messures like always on line, corrupting files that need to be redownloaded every now and then, etc. I don't mind some of them as long as they don't impact legit consumers. Earthbound's DRM is fine since most people wouldn't know about if they get their games legally, but corrupting files and always on line DRM are the kinds of things that shouldn't be allowed since they can make things harder on legit buyers.

Having more options is good, but I think streaming should work something like where you pay a monthly fee for access to a selection like Netflix. With how easily access to it can be denied by removal from the servers, it's not good for a reliable buying your games if you ask me.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 17 of 36 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14111 posts

Feb 1, 2014

StrikeKing023 wrote:

I prefer the disc also.   I don't care much for the idea of having to buy everything and play from a cloud.

Same here. Lucked out to not have a cap... but I wouldn't put it past AT&T to sneak one in. They already have one in place for other subscribers of 250gb a month. 

As for the cloud... two thumbs down from me. Since not everyone has access to the internet.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 18 of 36 (80 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14373 posts

Feb 1, 2014

I think having digital games are pretty okay in this gaming age because of PlayStation Now, but I prefer to own physical copies of the games that I purchase from the local or online retailers.

If a user wants to go digital with a console that has large enough memory to preserve game and save data, and to lessen physical space where they store their physical copies, more power to them.

Setz, does have a point though, all games are gonna be digital in the future, but not right now at this moment.

Anyways, this a great article that you've written, jgrizzle358.

forumsignature1.png
Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 19 of 36 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Feb 1, 2014

It's all digital I am worried about, and the rising prices (including ps plus). it will come to a point i will ask myself is it really worth it selling out all this cash.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 20 of 36 (68 Views)
0 Likes