Survivor
2484 posts

Re: The Current State and Future of Gaming

Feb 1, 2014

I've been playing games since the Atari days so I'm on the side of wanting to keep physical games. I like to physically see and be able to hold what I have bought. I only have one digital game that I have bought and that was the BF4 PS3 to PS4 upgrade. I do have PS+ games but those were free.

Its a slippery slope b/c if physical games were completely done and everything was all digital then that would erase the trade in game market at many retailers. Best Buy and Gamestop are heavily into this and lots of mom and pop stores / pawn shops around the country deal in used games as well. Its hard to justify the entire killing of that end of the market. 

If the push to all digital were to happen it would be slow, granted not all the people that want physical games are older gamers but a large majority of them are and a push to go all digital would be more forceful once those gamers no longer played and were replaced with the more digital acceptance generation. But that takes time and there is no guarantee that for every physical disc gamer that hangs up their controller that they are replaced by a someone who is more accepting to digital games.

What the industry wants and what the industry gets is two different things ( Xbox One DRM for example *for now* ) so we as consumers have a lot of say. If the push became to much and to forceful for digital we as the consumers have the power to stop anything we want and that is by not buying it. If there was a huge stand to not buy digital games ( meaning popular games coming out that were only going to be offered digitally) then the industry would be forced to change. The industry only exists on what we as the gamers are willing to permit and allow, its our sales our wallets that make the industry possible and when it comes down to it its going to be the consumers who decide what is going to happen and not the industry who thinks they know what is best.

Message 31 of 36 (158 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
157 posts

Feb 1, 2014

I feel the same way, just as video killed the radio star, digital will kill the phsical. Believe me Im old school I want tangibility in what I buy. I still have 3DO games for a 3DO that sits collecting dust because I cant find part for it, just as Im sure alot of us do. I do think tho it is inevitable. 

Message 32 of 36 (155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
715 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Very good and insightful replies from everyone. I'm glad to see some of us still like our good old fashioned retail games.

Exophase Gamercard
Message 33 of 36 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Feb 10, 2014
If you want to see what an all digital future would be go look at PC gaming.
PC: 3570K @ 4.6GHz | GTX 560 Ti @ 935/2125 | EVGA Z77 FTW | 8GB DDR3 | 180GB Intel 330 SSD
Consoles: PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | X360 | XBOX | NES
Handhelds: Vita | 3DS XL | Gameboy Advance | Gameboy Color | Gameboy Pocket | iOS | Android
Message 34 of 36 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Living in a rural area its very difficult for me to wrap my head around an all digital gaming future. I've been downloading a 7GB Civilization 5 on Steam in segments for weeks because I have limited bandwidth. If gaming were to go all digital hundreds of thousands of gamers would be left out. Some PS3 games are 18GB+. At 120kb/s that would take 43 hours of constant downloading. If you care about your hardware at all you won't make your system run for over 8 hours without giving it a break, so in reality for me to get a game this way would take just under a week. So much for that midnight release.

Beyond that - being able to try a friend's game will become incredibly difficult. Even if there weren't the stringent restrictions that the xBox One was trying to implement. Taking the time to download and register a 19GB game would exceed the time spent handing over a disc by hours - if not days. My favorite game of all time was borrowed to me by a friend. I have purchased the game four times total. Which brings me to my next point.

Sure, piracy is an issue for older games. Now days people don't like the thought of downloading a huge pirated game overnight, trying it out, realizing it doesn't work, and then later worrying if their PSN account is going to be suspended. Piracy isn't an issue for modern games, at least for now. If anything, developers will lose money by switching to digital gaming. I have had friends ruin my discs, which prompted me to buy another copy. That's two sales. Once you buy a digital copy you have it forever. Unless they come out with a one-time key which will never fly with consumers.

I don't see the point in switching to an all-digital console system and I personally don't see it coming either. I'm sure there will be all-digital versions of consoles, but in reality, the PC is and always will be the ultimate all-digital affordable console.

The Legend of Dragoon was released by SCEJ in June of 2000. Sony released the game for the PS1 although the PS2 had been announced in the US and had been released in Japan. As a result, the game received little attention. SCEJ dropped production of the sequel for unknown reasons, but some speculate it was because of the low sales of the original. Over the years the game has rendered a cult-like following and hundreds of petitions have been created to either remaster the game or develop a sequel. Santa Montica Studios dropped production of the main character, Dart, who was to be offered in a Playstation All-Stars DLC pack - due to low sales of previous DLC released for the game. This franchise is still marketable. After all, it did make the Top 5 Best Selling PSOne Classics list 9 times following its PSN release. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] If you haven't played the game I urge you to buy the digial copy on the playstation store. It's only $5.99. If you like it, urge SCE to do something with the franchise in the life of the PS4.

Message 35 of 36 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12819 posts

Feb 10, 2014

How many years have we been in the "physical era"? People wont jump ship to change, unless they influence the later generations to do so. I don't think we will survive to see the "digital era". But innovations like tihs will influence the future generations to act on this.

Heck, they thought in 1985 that 2015 will have  flying cars and holograms that'll jump and talk (Back to the Future 2). And yet, we're still driving cars like 30 years ago.

Message 36 of 36 (113 Views)
0 Likes