May 27 2012
By: echogridlock Splicer 64 posts

The Atomic Playstation Family = The Death of a Hard Core Gamer.

4 replies 19 views Edited May 27, 2012

Its Friday night and dad in his blue polo sits down next to mom with her strawberry blond hair. Little Timmy and Susie climb onto the couch as dad fires up the Playstation 3. Perhaps it is game night or maybe they’re just cozying up to watch a movie. This is the typical Playstation family as depicted by TV ads and the common allusion in the subconscious of societies mind.

Her hair does smell like strawberries, Kevin.

It, in a way, is as true today as it was in the time of our mothers and fathers and their mothers and fathers. Leave it to Beaver right? This is the rosy cheek farce that they want you to believe, but the truth is, it is the unavoidable death of a hardcore gamer to wish to share his console with his family.

When I was a strapping young gaming lad, I had the bright idea to persuade my young fair fiancé to play video games. At the time, I thought “hey, maybe if I can get her to play, maybe, just maybe, she will let me buy more games.” She was very much into Sci fi books and the era of the Tudors. So I said to her “You have to try this game Oblivion, I really think it’s a game you will love” She said “you play, I really like to watch you play”. Which really means “I just want to go back to reading my book, stop bothering me”. But no, I would not have it. I insisted that she play for one hour then if she didn’t like it, I would never ask her again. The same sweet kind hearted woman who vowed to Love, Honor, and Obey, will now often be found saying harsh words like “If you touch this controller, I will bite you” So I bought a PSP and told myself I’m still a hardcore gamer.

Then my very own Timmy and Susie came along. So while mommy plays with the children, daddy can sneak off and get in some game time, right?

Wrong!

Playstation suddenly supports Netflix, which has Nickelodeon; a family console indeed. Well fine, they can have my console I still have my PSP.

Then, as fate would have it, we have a long road trip coming up; last time, when sitting in the car for an hour, the kids started misbehaving. What if there was something that could hold their attention and stop them from fighting? I, being the lord and master of my gaming universe, have the bright idea to download some Nick shows to my PSP. Ha! Best dad ever nominee? Only, they never gave it back; and what is worse, mommy gives it to them when ever she wants to play the PS3. I don’t even get to use the recliner!   

Now I have a Vita, and the once legendary hardcore gamer has been wiped into a casual “whenever I have free time” button pusher. To all those self-righteous hardcore gamers out there, I am sending you this message to warn you.  If you wish to share your console with your family, you may never see it again. You have been warned!

Message 1 of 5 (19 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4327 posts

Re: The Atomic Playstation Family = The Death of a Hard Core Gamer.

May 27, 2012

Great read!

My Wife sits and watches me play video games while she's on her laptop. I've tried to get her into games too, but she will have none of it. The closest she has come is when she's played the "Rock Band" series with me and some PS Move stuff.

No children yet, but I hope to share games with some of my own (someday) and not have them steal them from me

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 2 of 5 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

May 28, 2012

Yeah my wife 6 years ago would not touch a game. She even somewhat looked down on them, but now she brags to her coworkers about them. When Skyrim was anounced she demanded that we preorder a copy. Im excited for LBP Vita but I know if I get a copy the kids will not let me play my Vita anymore. Im going to have to lock myself in my bedroom to play it, good thing the Vita is moble.

Message 3 of 5 (19 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

May 31, 2012

lol. When I have kids if they ever take my ps5 im gonna tell em its mommy's  turn now go to bed

Message 4 of 5 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
64 posts

Jun 1, 2012

Yeah, I am not going to lie, I have tried to play after my children go to sleep. It was the start of a horrible pattern though. I found myself staying up later and later each night to get to the end of one more level or one more trophy. Then, Oops I slept in and my daughter decided to take my wifes make up and color her face in and leave me a smiley face on the bathroom mirror. Lesson learned: go to sleep when they do, so you wake up when they do and you wont have to drag your feet the next day.

Message 5 of 5 (19 Views)
0 Likes