Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

Jan 30, 2014

evil_lies80 wrote:

Man, I've been hoping for a remote play option since the psp came out! Now, does remote play tie up the ps4, or could someone at home still use it at the same time as you playing remotely?

Remote Play works the same as if you were playing the PS4 at home, so, one player at a time, unless it's a local co-op game.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 21 of 30 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Jan 30, 2014

So now I'm seeing some conflicting reports about remote play connection to public wifis.  I've seen several posts of people saying that if the wifi connection requires you to open up a browser and then connect to wifi that way, that it doesn't work?  That would be my main use of this device.  For remote play from public wifi places during my lunch hour.  Can anyone confirm or deny that the device does/does not connect to wifi if the connection is setup requiring that you open up a browser window and accept an agreement, or click connect, etc.?  Most of the places that I go to for lunch that have wifi connect this way.  Rarely now do you just click on the wifi signal and input a password (or connect immediately if there is no password).

Message 22 of 30 (239 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

Jan 30, 2014

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

So now I'm seeing some conflicting reports about remote play connection to public wifis.  I've seen several posts of people saying that if the wifi connection requires you to open up a browser and then connect to wifi that way, that it doesn't work?  That would be my main use of this device.  For remote play from public wifi places during my lunch hour.  Can anyone confirm or deny that the device does/does not connect to wifi if the connection is setup requiring that you open up a browser window and accept an agreement, or click connect, etc.?  Most of the places that I go to for lunch that have wifi connect this way.  Rarely now do you just click on the wifi signal and input a password (or connect immediately if there is no password).

The only real issue with having to login to public wifi is that a) it uses WPA2 ENTERPRISE (an operating system dialog will pop up to log in on supported devices), which the PS Vita does not support or b) is limited to 802.11b.  Both cases are very rare for public wifi.  Panera Bread is the only company I know of that uses 802.11b, and I'm pretty sure last time I was there, they had upgraded to 802.11g.  WPA2-Enterprise is common in businesses and college campuses where access is limited to authorized personnel only and is only for official business.

If the public wifi you are connecting to only uses a web portal to sign in (as Wendy's, Starbucks and McDonalds do), all you do is connect your Vita to the network, open up the web browser (which should automatically direct you to the 'login' page), tap the 'Agree to terms' button and wait for the confirmation page to pop up, you can then close the web browser and open up the PS4 Link app and proceed to connect to your PS4.  I have had instances where McDonalds was having issues with their connection to the internet, and no amount of fiddling would fix it.  In those cases, I can't generally even get my MacBook to connect.

Message 23 of 30 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Jan 30, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

The only real issue with having to login to public wifi is that a) it uses WPA2 ENTERPRISE (an operating system dialog will pop up to log in on supported devices), which the PS Vita does not support or b) is limited to 802.11b.  Both cases are very rare for public wifi.  Panera Bread is the only company I know of that uses 802.11b, and I'm pretty sure last time I was there, they had upgraded to 802.11g.  WPA2-Enterprise is common in businesses and college campuses where access is limited to authorized personnel only and is only for official business.

If the public wifi you are connecting to only uses a web portal to sign in (as Wendy's, Starbucks and McDonalds do), all you do is connect your Vita to the network, open up the web browser (which should automatically direct you to the 'login' page), tap the 'Agree to terms' button and wait for the confirmation page to pop up, you can then close the web browser and open up the PS4 Link app and proceed to connect to your PS4.  I have had instances where McDonalds was having issues with their connection to the internet, and no amount of fiddling would fix it.  In those cases, I can't generally even get my MacBook to connect.

Got it.  Thanks for the response.  Very helpful.

Message 24 of 30 (225 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jan 30, 2014
Main thing bugging me with the remote play, is that you cannot switch profiles, not even the ones on your PS4 - something you should be able to do, since the Vita in Remote Play becomes a direct extension of the PS4.

Not to switch the Vita easily to a different profile, but to switch between the profiles on the PS4 while remote playing. So that anyone in the family can use one Vita to remote-play a PS4 game when the TV is in use.

It's just strange that with the general multi-user friendliness of the PS3 and PS4, not even the remote-play Vita allows this.

I do like my Vita, and the games, but it's just not very family-friendly the way it is...
Message 25 of 30 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1208 posts

Jan 30, 2014

I'm not much of a hand-held gamer but I love my PS Vita. I'm on the road a lot due to work and take my PS Vita everywhere.

I don't use the online function other that when I'm at home but great for gaming and as a MP3 player when I have the time while away from home.

With PlayStation Plus there are plenty of good free titles for the PS Vita and some discounted games as well. I have only paid full price for a handful of titles.

The biggest reason I bought my PS Vita was for use as a cross-controller for LittleBigPlanet 2. Thankfully, I have found more and more uses for it since.

Only gripe is that as someone with adult size hands I need to use Trigger Grip to play comfortably.

PS Vita Trigger Grip 4.jpg

Message 26 of 30 (218 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2014

P4NCH0theD0G wrote:
Main thing bugging me with the remote play, is that you cannot switch profiles, not even the ones on your PS4 - something you should be able to do, since the Vita in Remote Play becomes a direct extension of the PS4.

Not to switch the Vita easily to a different profile, but to switch between the profiles on the PS4 while remote playing. So that anyone in the family can use one Vita to remote-play a PS4 game when the TV is in use.

It's just strange that with the general multi-user friendliness of the PS3 and PS4, not even the remote-play Vita allows this.

I do like my Vita, and the games, but it's just not very family-friendly the way it is...

You can't switch profiles on the PS4 via remote play, because the PS4 disconnects from the network when you log out to change profiles.  That causes the Vita to lose the connection with your PS4, requiring you to reconnect with your PS4, which can only be logged into the specific account which is set to automatically log in when the PS4 powers up.

The PS4 is a family device, as it allows for families to play games or watch movies together on the family television set.  The PS Vita is a personal device, generally meant for a single user (kind of like a phone).  Kind of why it only has a 5 inch screen.

Message 27 of 30 (217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jan 30, 2014
Uhm, yes, I know that. I said that. I said that I don't like it. And if I had known beforehand, I might not have bought the Vita, since one of the things I was hoping for, was for the wife or kid being able to use the Vita to play the PS4 while the TV is busy. But to actually do that, each of them would pretty much need their own Vita - or go through that ridiculous mem-card changing with the factory reset every single time, which I don't see happening.

Also, it makes no difference which Account on the PS4 is set to Auto-Login, or even if any account is set to auto-login. You will always and only log in with Remote Play with the account that is running the PS Vita.

So, if anyone looks at this looking for info on the PS Vita, and, like me, thought that sharing it with multiple users was easy and thus did not research into it, be warned. Because you:

Cannot Change Profiles on the Vita easily.
Cannot Change Profiles on PS4 Remote Play easily.
Cannot Share PS Plus games or features with your family/other users.
Cannot Share any digital PSV games with your family/other users.

If it's just for you, it's a great addition to your PS4, remote play works great, and while yes, people with big hands will probably have issues holding it for longer times, it's a great little system.

But if you thought you could let it be shared by your family or roommates with their own accounts, maybe even let them share in your PS+ advantages, sadly that is not possible.
Message 28 of 30 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2213 posts

Jan 30, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

.... and Hotels..

The hotel I work at uses this..  The Vita is the only device I have that will not connect to it, no matter what I do..  3DS works fine, my android works fine, laptop.. same works fine.   Just the Vita.. so I can't take my Vita to work Smiley Sad

Message 29 of 30 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Jan 31, 2014

Wow.  The remote play for PS4 is super cool.  Really amazing technology.  Hell I'm an IT Director  and it blows me away that I can sit in a place with public wifi and play my PS4 that's sitting on my tv stand at home.  Brilliant work Sony.

Message 30 of 30 (177 Views)