Reply
Jan 29 2014
By: ThrowupdaX88 Uncharted Territory 1461 posts
Offline

Tell me about the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
29 replies 286 views Edited Jan 29, 2014

How do you like it?  Are the games good?  I had a PSP a long time ago and never cared for it.  I'm mostly interested in this Remote Play thing.  How does that work?  It works with PS3 and PS4 or just PS4.  I tried to find some info on it but really haven't learned much about the remote play feature.  That's what I'm most interested in.

Message 1 of 30 (286 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/16/2009
Offline
208 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2014

There are a bunch of good videos on youtube about how the remote play works. It's a great feature that I use often with my PS4. To quickly answer you though, it only works with PS4 not PS3 (maybe like 3 ps3 games or something).  There are a lot of great games to choose from and the games that are free with PLUS (uncharted, gravity rush, etc) are perfect for getting you started out. 

 

If you buy it and you don't like it, im sure you have 15 to 30 days to return it to the store. The White Assassins Creed version is back on some store shelves for 199.99 too, if you want. 




Feel free to friend me on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/aragost.scott
Message 2 of 30 (281 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/02/2013
Offline
1461 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2014

So here is my question in a nutshell.  Doe the Vita and PS4 need to be on the same network (wired/wireless) for remote play to work?  Can I leave my PS4 on (or in standby) at my home (perhaps there is some kind of "remote play mode" to switch to) and then take the Vita to some public place that has a decent Wi-fi connection and use remote play?

 

Also is there a way to connect a controller (DS4 I suppose) to it and use that to play rather than the controls on the Vita itself?

Message 3 of 30 (273 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5476 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

Jan 29, 2014

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

So here is my question in a nutshell.  Doe the Vita and PS4 need to be on the same network (wired/wireless) for remote play to work?  Can I leave my PS4 on (or in standby) at my home (perhaps there is some kind of "remote play mode" to switch to) and then take the Vita to some public place that has a decent Wi-fi connection and use remote play?

 

Also is there a way to connect a controller (DS4 I suppose) to it and use that to play rather than the controls on the Vita itself?


  1. As long as your upload speed is in excess of 1/5mbps, nope, you'll be fine.  
  2. I'm pretty sure that the Vita can wake up the PS4, as a phone can.
  3. No, the Vita itself is the only way to play the games remotely at this time.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 4 of 30 (262 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Offline
10759 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

Jan 29, 2014

I have a 1.5MBps upload connection at home and remote play works extremely well, even when I tether my Vita to my AT&T LTE iPhone5S.

 

As for using a DS4, it is allegedly possible to use the Vita as your display device while you play your PS4 with the DS4, however, this only works when the PS4 and PS Vita are connected to the same network (as the DS4 can only connect with the PS4).  I haven't tried it myself, but I've read a couple of articles where they stated it works.

 

The only 'game' on the PS4 that doesn't work via remote play is The Playroom, but that pretty much goes without saying, as The Playroom requires the PS4 Camera.

Message 5 of 30 (255 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/02/2013
Offline
1461 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

Jan 29, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

I have a 1.5MBps upload connection at home and remote play works extremely well, even when I tether my Vita to my AT&T LTE iPhone5S.

 

 

The only 'game' on the PS4 that doesn't work via remote play is The Playroom, but that pretty much goes without saying, as The Playroom requires the PS4 Camera.


Sorry so just  to be clear you are saying that you have used remote play and it worked great at some random public place with wi-fi?

 

And you are saying that all PS4 games (currently and going forward) support remote play?

Message 6 of 30 (243 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Offline
10759 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2014


ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

I have a 1.5MBps upload connection at home and remote play works extremely well, even when I tether my Vita to my AT&T LTE iPhone5S.

 

 

The only 'game' on the PS4 that doesn't work via remote play is The Playroom, but that pretty much goes without saying, as The Playroom requires the PS4 Camera.


Sorry so just  to be clear you are saying that you have used remote play and it worked great at some random public place with wi-fi?

 

And you are saying that all PS4 games (currently and going forward) support remote play?


I've successfully used Remote Play from McDonalds, Starbucks and other places via public wifi.  I've also successfully used Remote Play from a Truck Stop using the personal hotspot on my phone.  So yes, PS4 remote play actually does work... remotely.

 

Sony's plan is for ALL games to be Remote Playable, unless they require the PS4 Camera or other accessories (such as the PS Move controller).

 

Me playing ACIV at a McDonald's 76 miles from home a few weeks ago:

IMG_1249.jpg

Message 7 of 30 (235 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5476 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

Jan 29, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

I have a 1.5MBps upload connection at home and remote play works extremely well, even when I tether my Vita to my AT&T LTE iPhone5S.

 

 

The only 'game' on the PS4 that doesn't work via remote play is The Playroom, but that pretty much goes without saying, as The Playroom requires the PS4 Camera.


Sorry so just  to be clear you are saying that you have used remote play and it worked great at some random public place with wi-fi?

 

And you are saying that all PS4 games (currently and going forward) support remote play?


I've successfully used Remote Play from McDonalds, Starbucks and other places via public wifi.  I've also successfully used Remote Play from a Truck Stop using the personal hotspot on my phone.  So yes, PS4 remote play actually does work... remotely.

 

Sony's plan is for ALL games to be Remote Playable, unless they require the PS4 Camera or other accessories (such as the PS Move controller).


I have performed the same field test with the same results - RP works!

Grindhead_Jim

Message 8 of 30 (227 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/02/2013
Offline
1461 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

Jan 29, 2014

Awesome.  I might have to make the move then.  That was the most appealing thing to me as I would never play the Vita in place of the PS3/PS4 at home.  My systems have a dedicated TV in my "man cave" so it's not like I have to give up the TV and then would have to resort to remote play on the Vita.  But if I could play something say on my lunch hour from a rando place with wifi..that's pretty bad **bleep**.

Message 9 of 30 (206 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/02/2013
Offline
1461 posts
 

Re: Tell me about the PS Vita

Jan 29, 2014

What about game progress?  So for example let's say I buy Tomb Raider for PS4.  I start playing it on my PS4 and save my progress.  When I got to remote play it on my Vita does it pickup where I left off?  And then conversely if I play on the vita does the my progress save back to my PS4?  Where does the saved game data reside?  PS4, Vita or both?  Or does it use the cloud storage thing you get with PS+?

Message 10 of 30 (199 Views)
Reply
0 Likes