First Son
24 posts

Re: TO SONY: DEACTIVATING PSN ACCOUNTS ON DEAD PS3 SYSTEMS

Oct 9, 2009
That's a good point TwinDad. In general I think Sony needs to better organize PSN by both giving more control to its users and uniting the PSN stores. You know that a considerable majority of countries still don't have a PSN? It's silly, because ultimately those countries use the same credit card companies and what Sony is doing ultimately amounts to stopping those people from giving them money for games. Moreover one reason many of us need to activate and deactivate accounts so much is that we have to build accounts for every country we end up staying in because you're not allowed to change a country that's been set (I currently have a Dubai account, a US account, a Canadian account, a Spanish account, and a Japanese one ). A PSN currency with one store and full access to what and what is not active in our accounts would be wonderful. Until then, I guess we should at least be happy that Sony is consistently working towards a better experience even if some of what they miss seems quite strange.
Message 21 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 9, 2009

most people dont seem to realize how big a problem this game sharing is.

if sony let us activate/deactivate all consoles tied to our account from any ps3 and/or pc through account management then game sharing would be an even bigger mess. say you have your limit reached but you want to get a free game from someone new. all you have to do is go deactivate anyone elses console and let your new friend in. the person you had traded with before can no longer use any content they got from you. this would likely cause them to deactivate your console from their account and you would no longer be able to use content you got from them.

not only that but smart people would do this on the fly and you could simply request to your friend to activate your console for any time period to allow use of your content and potentially you could share content with an unlimited amount of people.

my suggestion is that they do allow us remote deactivation, preferably through a pc account management, and put a limit to how many times we can use the feature in a time period. say 1 time per month. when people start getting shafted from game sharing because of this feature then hopefully it will die down but still allow an "acceptable" use of it with close friends and the intended use of it with immediate family.

sony would get less calls from people begging to deactivate systems because they screwed up sharing with any random dude they meet online or from the complete inability to deactivate die to a console not able to boot up. they would have less disgruntled customers, people that would no longer purchase from them and would spread word causing even more potential loss of customers. i also beleive game sharing would die down a bit because you would know that any time you shared with someone all they have to do is deactivate your console and you could do the same to them and it would make the process a pointless waste of time.

Message 22 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
980 posts

Oct 10, 2009
LIST OF OFFENSES THAT WILL GET YOU BANNED
" As much as I would like for people to communicate and use their mics it will never happen. Party chat insured that. " - as stated in a xbox forum concerning with cross game chat ruining team oriented gaming..... becarefull what you wish for .
Message 23 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Oct 10, 2009

Yup, right from the Sony/PSN knowledge base:

Banning explanations

Below are some common offenses which could cause a PlayStation®Network account or system to become banned. You may be banned for other reasons not listed below.

Share / Hijack Account
Sharing personal PSN account information in order to obtain access to another persons PSN account. Changing another persons email address, and/or password without their permission in order to gain and control access to an account. Offender attempted to use or take content they did not pay for.

So no, game sharing is not allowed. It is a violation of the TOS, and it can get you banned. And no, Sony will never allow users to control system activations remotely for precisely this reason. It would just make it that much easier for people to abuse the rules and steal content they have not paid for.
Message Edited by GeekGod on 10-09-2009 05:38 PM

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 24 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 10, 2009
So, basically what I'm hearing is that if I were to buy a disc-based game, I couldn't give it to a friend later and let him play it. Right? That's game sharing, is it not? I understand that you want people to buy a product, but some people buy things with the intent to share them with close friends. What's so wrong with that?
Message 25 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3555 posts

Oct 10, 2009

HekyllFace wrote:
So, basically what I'm hearing is that if I were to buy a disc-based game, I couldn't give it to a friend later and let him play it. Right? That's game sharing, is it not? I understand that you want people to buy a product, but some people buy things with the intent to share them with close friends. What's so wrong with that?

Because dishonest people ruined it for the rest of us.

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)
How to access Safe Mode on ps3
Message 26 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Oct 10, 2009

HekyllFace wrote:
Well, if you loaned a game disc to a friend, you could not play the game at the same time. So it is not the same a sharing your account info and giving 5 people access to the game simultaneously. If you and your friend wanted to play multi-player, he would have to buy his own disc.

And believe me, if the console makers could figure out a way to limit disc based games to your console only, they would do it (PC software with on-line activation does this crap already).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 27 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 12, 2010

GeekGod,

How do you explain downloadable games like GT5: Prologue, which have a 24hr time lock to each ps3 system. And you have to be online to play it, meaning if a friend you shared it with, plays it on his system, it locks out all other activated accounts for 24hrs minimum. So my point being, developers are able to put limits to their downloadable content, if game sharing is such a concern.

Message 28 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Jul 12, 2010

I can't buy and watch videos from the PSN video store from my main account because my old PS3's blu-ray laser stopped working and I forgot to deactivate VIDEOS on that system before I sold it.  We can't share videos, why can't I deactivate videos from my old system?  I like my PSN ID and want to keep it.

Message 29 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3590 posts

Jul 12, 2010

Yes if you send in your PS3s (or friends) you can mention that you would like X account dissacociated with all PS3s. DON'T mention you've been game sharing as it's against the ToS

Message 30 of 33 (24 Views)
0 Likes