Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 27 2009
By: unruly-cat First Son 24 posts

TO SONY: DEACTIVATING PSN ACCOUNTS ON DEAD PS3 SYSTEMS

32 replies 1262 views Edited Sep 27, 2009

Dear Sony,

A PSN account can be shared among 5 PS3s as far as I can tell. Recently, a friend's PS3 died taking along with it several PSN accounts. I was wondering if its possible (or if such a feature exists maybe someone can tell me) to deactivate the PSN account on that dead PS3 so that it can be activated on another functioning PS3. I think it would be unfair if the death of a PS3 meant that the PSN account becomes shareable on only 4 other machines for the duration of the account's lifetime since that dead PS3 will never be usable. Maybe you can implement a system where not running any of the games or entering the user account for a very long time automatically deactivates an account of a machine, or maybe you can set up some mechanical procedure by which users with dead PS3s can ask to have that account deactivated? I'm increasingly worried because I get the feeling that my PS3 might die sometime soon as I've had it for about 3 years now (I bought it in the first 6 months of launch) and its fan is starting to get quite loud. I don't want it to take my collection of about 50 PSN games if it dies particularly since my accounts have been activated on other PS3s (including my friend's now dead one, which means I already can only share amongst 4). Please try to do something about that possible problem as it would really suck especially considering the PS3s predicted lifetime, I'm sure a lot of users would appreciate it. Thank you.

Rami

Message Edited by unruly-cat on 09-27-2009 12:19 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5436 posts

Re: TO SONY: DEACTIVATING PSN ACCOUNTS ON DEAD PS3 SYSTEMS

Sep 27, 2009
does your friend plan on having 5 ps3s die on him?
320gb Slim
500gb Slim
SoftModded Wii with 640GB HDD
320gb XBox 360 S
LG 55" 120Hz LCD
LG 1000w 5.1
42" Panasonic Viera Plasma
4TB Media Server
320GB HD PVR

Playstation Plus Member

Gaming Since 1983
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Sep 27, 2009

No, but it can happen. Also it doesn't have to be 3 PS3s that die on him. His died, my other buddies could die, my girlfriend's could die, and mine could die, whcih would leave the PSN account with only 1 active system. Also if the PS3s lifetime is anything like the PS2s this scenario is not unlikely.

Rami

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5436 posts

Sep 27, 2009

unruly-cat wrote:

No, but it can happen. Also it doesn't have to be 3 PS3s that die on him. His died, my other buddies could die, my girlfriend's could die, and mine could die, whcih would leave the PSN account with only 1 active system. Also if the PS3s lifetime is anything like the PS2s this scenario is not unlikely.

Rami

this can bring up the topic about not sharing your psn games with everyone you know.

320gb Slim
500gb Slim
320gb XBox 360 S
LG 55" 120Hz LCD
LG 1000w 5.1
4TB Media Server
320GB HD PVR

Playstation Plus Member

Gaming Since 1983
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
645 posts

Sep 27, 2009

unruly-cat wrote:

Dear Sony,

A PSN account can be shared among 5 PS3s as far as I can tell. Recently, a friend's PS3 died taking along with it several PSN accounts. I was wondering if its possible (or if such a feature exists maybe someone can tell me) to deactivate the PSN account on that dead PS3 so that it can be activated on another functioning PS3. I think it would be unfair if the death of a PS3 meant that the PSN account becomes shareable on only 4 other machines for the duration of the account's lifetime since that dead PS3 will never be usable. Maybe you can implement a system where not running any of the games or entering the user account for a very long time automatically deactivates an account of a machine, or maybe you can set up some mechanical procedure by which users with dead PS3s can ask to have that account deactivated? I'm increasingly worried because I get the feeling that my PS3 might die sometime soon as I've had it for about 3 years now (I bought it in the first 6 months of launch) and its fan is starting to get quite loud. I don't want it to take my collection of about 50 PSN games if it dies particularly since my accounts have been activated on other PS3s (including my friend's now dead one, which means I already can only share amongst 4). Please try to do something about that possible problem as it would really suck especially considering the PS3s predicted lifetime, I'm sure a lot of users would appreciate it. Thank you.

Rami

Message Edited by unruly-cat on 09-27-2009 12:19 PM

5 activations can be shared among 5 different systems at once... but in actuality you are supposed to have one account active and the other 4 as backup. They will not consider a reset it unless all 5 systems were returned to warranty center. I say consider because you will have to have a good story to tell the customer service rep why you were forgetting to deactivate when systems were going in.

Get your Portable ID!

'Lux et Veritas'
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Sep 27, 2009
Why shouldn't I share with people I know? After all the user agreement says we're allowed to. Now some will not want to share, others will want to. So on behalf of those who want to, I'm asking Sony to not penalize us for dead consoles. You can feel free not to share though.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5436 posts

Sep 27, 2009

unruly-cat wrote:
Why shouldn't I share with people I know? After all the user agreement says we're allowed to. Now some will not want to share, others will want to. So on behalf of those who want to, I'm asking Sony to not penalize us for dead consoles. You can feel free not to share though.

yes! share - by all means.

But technically I think Sony means 5 of "your" machines, not all your buddies machines.

320gb Slim
500gb Slim
320gb XBox 360 S
LG 55" 120Hz LCD
LG 1000w 5.1
4TB Media Server
320GB HD PVR

Playstation Plus Member

Gaming Since 1983
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
980 posts

Oct 9, 2009
unruly-catWhy shouldn't I share with people I know? After all the user agreement says we're allowed to. Now some will not want to share, others will want to. So on behalf of those who want to, I'm asking Sony to not penalize us for dead consoles. You can feel free not to share though.

________________ ______________ ____________________ _________

that is incorrect . i have been reading through the agreement and the user manual all morning and all indications are that you cannot share and in some instances particularly the download of videos you can only have one active system . also a single system can only be associated with one account . here is the agreement http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/u/u_tosua_en.html and you can get to the online manual through your xmb under network incidentally all systems have to be assosiated to the same master account . and sharing will get you banned .
" As much as I would like for people to communicate and use their mics it will never happen. Party chat insured that. " - as stated in a xbox forum concerning with cross game chat ruining team oriented gaming..... becarefull what you wish for .
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3555 posts

Oct 9, 2009

unruly-cat wrote:

Rami

what you are doing is gamesharing and is against the EULA.  People abusing the system, much like you and your friends, is the Reason Sony is so strict about deactivating.  They've even become more strict in the past few weeks.

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)
How to access Safe Mode on ps3
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Oct 9, 2009

unruly-cat wrote:

It is against the PSN TOS and User Agreement: http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/15

Specifically, read Section 8: GENERAL LICENSE RESTRICTIONS AND TERMS

Except as stated in this Agreement, all content and software provided through PSN are licensed non-exclusively and revocably to you, your children and children for whom you are a legal guardian (collectively for purposes of this section, "You" or "Your"), solely for Your personal, private, non-transferable, non-commercial, limited use on a limited number of activated PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment systems, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems, and any other hardware devices authorized by SCEA in the country in which your PSN account is registered. All intellectual property rights subsisting in PSN, including but not limited to, all software, data, and content subsisting in or connection with the operation of PSN, the Online ID, the access to content offered on or through PSN and hardware used in connection with PSN (collectively defined as "Property"), belong to SCEA and its licensors. All use or access to such Property shall be subject to the terms of this Agreement and all applicable copyright and other intellectual property rights laws. You may not sell, rent, sublicense, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Property. Except as stated in this Agreement or otherwise expressly permitted by SCEA in writing, you may not reproduce or transfer any portion of the Property. You may not create any derivative works, attempt to create the source code from the object code, or download or use any Property for any purpose other than as expressly permitted. You may not bypass, disable, or circumvent any encryption, security, digital rights management or authentication mechanism in connection with PSN or any of the content offered through PSN. You acknowledge that the PSN, including some content provided through PSN, may contain security or technical features that will prevent use of such content in violation of this Agreement. Notwithstanding any terms, the Property is not licensed for resale, public performance, display, distribution or broadcast. You acknowledge that some content providers and licensors are intended third party beneficiaries who have rights to enforce this Agreement against you and your permitted users. Except as expressly granted in this Agreement, SCEA and its licensors reserve all rights, interests, and remedies in connection with PSN and the Property.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 33 (1,262 Views)
0 Likes