Dec 25 2013
By: SilverFox357 First Son 12 posts

Survival/Horror Recommendations?

[ Edited ]
10 replies 134 views Edited Dec 25, 2013

Have you guys played some scary horror games lately? Are there some nice ones that you can recommend?

I haven’t been able to find very many modern horror games. I was wondering if some of you have had better luck than me tracking some of these down. I know Outlast is right around the corner for the PlayStation 4 and I plan to check it out but what kinds of horror games were released last generation? Are there any that pop out to you? I don't mind looking in the bargain bin. I just want to find some nice horror games. What were some of your favorites?

Message 1 of 11 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11752 posts

Re: Survival/Horror Recommendations?

Dec 25, 2013

Technically, I don't recall there being a single survival-horror game that has showed up throughout the last generation. There are games out there that tiptoed around the genre, but didn't really make good on it from what I remember. Condemned: Criminal Origins, for instance, isn't what I'd refer to as a "horror" game, not being scary. You travel around attempting to fend off crazed maniacs though, but I probably wouldn't group the game together with what might be considered a true survival-horror experience.

With Resident Evil uncoupling itself from the horror rails long ago, I've not come across a chilling game from Capcom either in recent times. Some of my favorite horror games though would include everything from the first four Silent Hill games, a variety of the earlier Resident Evil games, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, and Haunting Ground.

Message 2 of 11 (122 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Dec 25, 2013

Silent Hill The Room (I think that was 4) is the last legitimate survival/horror game I played on a home console. Last gen was just anti-scary RE games. The Evil Within looks like it may make me **bleep** everywhere. Outside of that, pc is the place to go for these types of games. Amnesia....*sigh*

"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Message 3 of 11 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Dec 25, 2013

O snap, Siren ps3 was scary but that's only on psn.

"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Message 4 of 11 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Dec 25, 2013

DayZ standalone is in alpha for PC right now if you have a decent PC and is well worth the $29.99. Plus you get access to the full game next year. This game is purely survival and even in an alpha stage it is just awesome.

On topic: It is also in development for PS4!

Message 5 of 11 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Technically, I don't recall there being a single survival-horror game that has showed up throughout the last generation. There are games out there that tiptoed around the genre, but didn't really make good on it from what I remember. Condemned: Criminal Origins, for instance, isn't what I'd refer to as a "horror" game, not being scary. You travel around attempting to fend off crazed maniacs though, but I probably wouldn't group the game together with what might be considered a true survival-horror experience.

With Resident Evil uncoupling itself from the horror rails long ago, I've not come across a chilling game from Capcom either in recent times. Some of my favorite horror games though would include everything from the first four Silent Hill games, a variety of the earlier Resident Evil games, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, and Haunting Ground.

What were some of your favorite video games that tiptoed around the survival horror genre then? I would rather look at the next best thing(s) than nothing at all even if they aren't very scary. Would you recommend Alone in the Dark: Inferno or should I just forget about these kinds of video games?

Message 6 of 11 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14267 posts

Dec 29, 2013

Only the main Resident Evil series is focused on Action.

Revelations made some legitimate attempts to return to former glory, also threw in some action too... Which annoyed me but I'll overlook it.

If you can tolerate the bad controls, AMY does a very good job of building an atmosphere. It's clunky sure. It's not half as bad as reviews say though at least after the patches.

You could also try the Fear games too, They are very well done.

Personally if Fatal Frame is on your PSN store, just get that though. I've heard nothing but immense positivity about that. Shame it's not on my store Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 11 (75 Views)
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

socom69 wrote:

Silent Hill The Room (I think that was 4) is the last legitimate survival/horror game I played on a home console. Last gen was just anti-scary RE games. The Evil Within looks like it may make me **bleep** everywhere. Outside of that, pc is the place to go for these types of games. Amnesia....*sigh*

The Evil Within looks amazing! I can't wait to play this one!

socom69 wrote:

O snap, Siren ps3 was scary but that's only on psn.

I have heard really good things about Siren: Blood Curse/New Translation. I'm not too keen on relatively large digital downloads but I will keep this one in mind. I have the original Siren somewhere though so I might look for something a little bit different. Thanks for the recommendation.

Message 8 of 11 (72 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

ParalIax2 wrote:

DayZ standalone is in alpha for PC right now if you have a decent PC and is well worth the $29.99. Plus you get access to the full game next year. This game is purely survival and even in an alpha stage it is just awesome.

On topic: It is also in development for PS4!

I think I will wait for the PlayStation 4 version if it’s in development. I usually don’t play games on my computer. I see that the PC gets a bunch of nice survival horror games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent though so I might need to spend more time on my PC and less time on my PlayStation 3.

Message 9 of 11 (68 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Only the main Resident Evil series is focused on Action.

Revelations made some legitimate attempts to return to former glory, also threw in some action too... Which annoyed me but I'll overlook it.

If you can tolerate the bad controls, AMY does a very good job of building an atmosphere. It's clunky sure. It's not half as bad as reviews say though at least after the patches.

You could also try the Fear games too, They are very well done.

Personally if Fatal Frame is on your PSN store, just get that though. I've heard nothing but immense positivity about that. Shame it's not on my store Smiley Frustrated

Resident Evil 5 was the last Resident Evil game I purchased. It felt like a shooter and I didn't enjoy it very much. I searched high and low for survival horror in this game and I only found it in its "Lost in Nightmares" DLC. I think I enjoyed this DLC more than the main game. I don’t know if I will give Resident Evil: Revelations a chance but it is good to know that at least one modern Resident Evil game is trying to scare people.

I picked up F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin a little while ago hoping for a scary shooter. I haven’t had a chance to play it but I hope it delivers. I think psychological horror and thriller games are kind of cool. Would you recommend the other F.E.A.R. titles if I end up enjoying this one?

Those Fatal Frame games look pretty spooky. I will definitely check them out. Thanks for all of those recommendations.

Message 10 of 11 (58 Views)
0 Likes