Aug 25 2014
By: EyeWatchU Monster Hunter 39 posts

Suggestion for Improving Network Security

[ Edited ]
43 replies 335 views Edited Aug 25, 2014

Sony I am going to inform you on something just in case you haven't figured it out yet. First off I want to point out that I'm a computer freak and yes I have performed hacks of my own for educational purposes in the past so believe what I'm about to tell you. Improving your security indeed helps prevent hackers because they have to constantly change their programming and tactics to re-engage. However here is what your doing wrong, YOUR ANNOUNCING MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES! It doesn't matter how good of security you have if you keep announcing when you will be taking down stuff for fixes hackers will prepare and plan a hack to take you down.

When you are tinkering with everything your tearing stuff down and messing around with whatever and that creates vulnerability spots in the system for hackers to use. So what do you? LISTEN! Just stop announcing maintenance schedules. We players don't need to know when your doing it we will know when we go on our consoles and try to log in and we see the message pop up saying your under maintenance and we will be like alright whatever. If your willing to do whatever it takes to make us safe CONSIDER this!

Mod Edit: Updated title & added breaks to body of text. Check here for more information. Thanks! --Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 44 (335 Views)
Gaming Beast
2302 posts

Re: All Sony Staff PLEASE Read This.

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2014

wait wait wait, i'm sorry but what the heck?

1. "I have performed hacks of my own.." dude! don't go saying this proudly, hackers are the reason online gaming is going down hill.

2. they have to inform us, some kind of contract thing i guess.

3. i highly dought any one hwo actually works for Sony looks at anything on here, sorry to say.

that said though i do agree they need to work something out, this is just the second time something like this happened but it shows it can happen at anytime and the whole "paying for Plus on PS4 helps to make the servers better." theory was just torn apart yesterday.

Message 2 of 44 (317 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1163 posts

Aug 25, 2014

EyeWatchU wrote:
Sony I am going to inform you on something just in case you haven't figured it out yet. First off I want to point out that I'm a computer freak and yes I have performed hacks of my own for educational purposes in the past so believe what I'm about to tell you.! ...

Hacked for educational purposes?  LOL.  Isn't that that like saying "I shoplifeted to test security at the local k-mart?"  I wouldnt put this educational endeavor on your resume. 

But, I suppose your information could be useful and I would hope Sony has competent security "experts" on their payroll after 2011.  I doubt anyone at Sony will ever see this post. 

Message 3 of 44 (312 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

wait wait wait, i'm sorry but what the heck?

1. "I have performed hacks of my own.." dude! don't go saying this proudly, hackers are the reason online gaming is going down hill.

2. they have to inform us, some kind of contract thing i guess.

3. i highly dought any one hwo actually works for Sony looks at anything on here, sorry to say.

that said though i do agree they need to work something out, this is just the second time something like this happened but it shows it can happen at anytime and the whole "paying for Plus on PS4 helps to make the servers better." theory was just torn apart yesterday.

1. No, look up "white-hats" I took security classes as well and we learned how to DDoS

2. Not sure about that. I don't think they have to do anything.
3. Sorry, I was off base with this one. More accurately, I worded it poorly. Higher-ups DO in fact read posts here. Be it in a compiled report or actually visiting the forum itself. This is, afterall, the official forums.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 4 of 44 (301 Views)
Gaming Beast
2302 posts

Aug 25, 2014

i still say no one should be proud of hacking, modding, or glitching..

Message 5 of 44 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Aug 25, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

That's pretty narrow-minded.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 6 of 44 (283 Views)
Gaming Beast
2302 posts

Aug 25, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

think so? look over some of the forums or even one of the GTA forums sometime. there are tons of people who hate hackers, glitcher, and modders. and i stand by my belief that they are one of the main reasons online gaming is taking a noise dive in terms of credible game play.

Message 7 of 44 (274 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28811 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

It's one thing to make let's say an Aston Martin mod for a game like GTR2, and you can sit back and say "Yeah, I made that and now someone is enjoying using it". It's completely another thing to do what some have been doing to GTA Online, or to allegedly do what these bozos did yesterday. You're not just attacking a corporation. You're attacking the users have no nothing to do with your own personal gripe.

Here's an idea. Take these skills and START A BUSINESS! There's lots of companies that would pay for internet security, or would like to purchase a program that would help secure their assests. You don't have to make a billion dollars in three weeks, but you can make a very comfortabl living doing that kind of work. So many of them are saying "Dear Mr. Big Video Game Designer, you need to listen to my ideas because only I know how to make games and you don't!": Well if you know so much about game design, the MAKE YOUR OWN GAME!

I know it's more fun to "stick it to the man", but that's going to be tough to do from a jail cell.

Message 8 of 44 (266 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Aug 25, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

think so? look over some of the forums or even one of the GTA forums sometime. there are tons of people who hate hackers, glitcher, and modders. and i stand by my belief that they are one of the main reasons online gaming is taking a noise dive in terms of credible game play.

We wouldn't have a fraction of the software we have today if it wasn't for modders etc... 

You also need to take into consideration, a large portion of the people that complain about "hackers" aren't actually encountering anything of the sort, and probably don't even know what that truly means. Most of the cheaters in online games are just running scripts they found on the internet. Literally a trained monkey could do it. Besides, those are mainly exploiting glitches, which is way different (and easier) than hacking. Calling someone a hacker who is merely exploiting a poorly patched game is like calling someone who kicked in a weak door a locksmith.

Obviously, I don't condone cheating or illigal activity, but you need to have some perspective on this.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 9 of 44 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Aug 25, 2014

Who the hell are you talking to? Why did you write this as if its something that someone from Sony will actuall read or see or even care about? This is a forum for gamers not a page to make plea's to sony coporate. 

Message 10 of 44 (259 Views)
0 Likes