Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 05 2010
By: redemptionRED_ Splicer 87 posts

Stalker Help!!

17 replies 205 views Edited Aug 5, 2010

Ok so I have two accounts, one I'm using now for this post. I need to know how many days, weeks, months or permanent ban will a stalker get? I've reported them twice on my accounts, and someone else has reported them too. This person made other accounts and kept texting me. I blocked them and reported all of the accounts. How do I know what their ban is? Does anyone know what kind of ban they'll get for stalking? Thank you.

-As In Heaven, As In Earth, We've Been Dead Since Our Birth-
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28632 posts

Re: Stalker Help!!

Aug 6, 2010

Hi,

Check this out to see if it helps explain anything to you.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1260

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Aug 6, 2010

I've already tried that website and checked it out. I didn't see anything on there about the days, weeks, months, etc. But I appreciate you trying to help and thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2628 posts

Aug 6, 2010

I don't know much about this field.. but i would contact support and see if they can check up on this to make sure you're not lying (for liability reasons of course they would do this) and they *should* be able to do an IP ban which will ban the user's console. As far as time goes, it's all about offense limits. I had a friend get banned for 2 weeks first, then a month, then 3 months and his next offense was going to be permanent (he's an idiot.. just sayin). However that was game specific so i'm not sure about this... but it's hope i suppose. Sorry, wish i could be of more help. 

www.youtube.com/vengefultorture
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Aug 6, 2010

Ok I will try that step. And what you told me helped a bit. Hopefully I can resolve this stalker. I appreciate your help, thank you. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1473 posts

Aug 6, 2010

One of the things about PSN is its free,  Even if they do ban him he'll just make a new name or change the ip address on his PS3.  PSN is free and honestly i'd rather have it "loosely" kept compared to xbox live when it comes to conflicts like this and not have people banned over texts,  Whats could he possibly be doing, Cursing at you, its not like he can hack your account or something.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2636 posts

Aug 6, 2010

How do you get stalked on PSN? Don't quite understand that.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Aug 6, 2010

This person won't stop bothering me. This person is so obsessed with texting me that they create a new account just to text me. All I asked for was if anyone knows anything about the bans for a stalker, not to be judged by a problem I'm having.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13738 posts

Aug 6, 2010

Ban lengths are determined on a case by case basis, and are entirely up to Sony's Playstation Network administrators.  It doesn't matter what the ban length is in this case anyway.  Sony doesn't know the actual identity of any Playstation Network member, unless they enter credit card information in their account profile.  It is therefore not possible for Sony to ban a person from PSN.  It can only ban a particular account and its associated e-mail address.  There is no way for Sony to know that multiple accounts belong to the same person, not that it would matter. There is no limit to the number of free e-mail addresses you can create on the Internet, so there is no limit to the number of PSN accounts that a person can create.  Sony could ban each one permanently, but they can't stop the person that created the account from just getting another free e-mail address, and creating another PSN account, and using it to send you at least one message.  That is the problem with free online memberships with no identity verification. As long as you don't care what happens to the account, you can do whatever you want.  

Cyber-stalking needs to be dealt with differently than real-world stalking.  The plus with cyber-stalking is that you are in no real danger.  It is just an annoyance. If you are a serious gamer, even if it is just for Home, then you won't want to abandon your account; and you can't change your PSN account name for reasons related to this type of problem.   Your best bet is to just delete any messages from the stalker.  Don't block him.  That just tells him that you are reading his messages, and that you don't want to receive them.  If he cared about your preferences, he would have stopped by now.  Don't bother getting him banned either.  He has already worked a way around that, and if he has nothing invested in the PSN account then bans are not effective. Just ignore him.  If enough time goes by with him receiving no reaction from you, he will eventually get bored and go bother someone else.   They always do.

The only thing that Sony can do to address this is to require some form of credit card or bank account verification for PSN accounts, which would create issues for other people; or provide an option to allow you to only receive PSN messages from friends; but that has drawbacks for you as well. Patience is really the only cure at the moment.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Aug 6, 2010

That helped a lot and thank you for your reply. I appreciate everyone who has helped me. I'm just still worried that they'll somehow just end up texting me again.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes