Dec 31 2013
By: mochuuu SIEA 1490 posts

Sound Off: PS Plus 12/31 Update: NBA Jam On Fire Edition and Chronovolt (PS Vita) Free for Plus

61 replies 843 views Edited Dec 31, 2012

Here's this week's PlayStation Plus update from my post on the PlayStationblog:

Aologies that I wasn't around too much last week, but the holiday break had me a bit unplugged. We'll all be back in the office on Jan 2nd, so I'll be jumping in after then = )

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, conversation, and feedback!

POST FROM PS BLOG: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/31/playstation-plus-update-2/

Happy (almost) New Year! The PlayStation Plus team is gearing up for another banner year in 2013 as we continue to deliver free games, discounts, and access to events, betas and more to give PlayStation fans the edge when it comes to their gaming lifestyle. This week, we welcome PS3 Game NBA JAM On Fire Edition and PS Vita Game Chronovolt to the Instant Game Collection. You’ll also find deeper discounts with the last week of the PSN Holiday Sale.

Important note: We’ll be updating the PlayStation Store today (Monday, 12/31) due to the New Year holiday. Therefore, this Plus update will be live later today when the update has published.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

December 31st PlayStation Plus Update

NBA JAM On Fire Edition (PS3)

Free for Plus members

You don’t have to be a basketball nut to have a blast with this one. If you’ve played NBA JAM before, you know it’s all about fast-paced arcade-style basketball action. Of course it features all your favorite NBA players and legends, but with all the fun and irreverence that has hooked countless gamers and tons of trash-talking multiplayer sessions. Crazy modes, secret teams, and rock-solid online play make this a great addition to your collection. Take a look at the video above to check out a match up in the game in the classic ‘big head’ mode, and play it yourself to see whyIGN.com gave it a 9 out 10.

Chronovolt (PS Vita)

Free for Plus members

Chronovolt is a puzzle-platformer with steampunk influences where players control the Chronosphere, a discovery that contains the energy that powers time. You’ll guide it through levels using all of the PS Vita’s controls including tilt, the analog sticks, and rear-touch to have a completely unique experience. Not to mention that by collecting power-ups known as Chronovolts, players are able to manipulate time, such as rewinding the game to save yourself from a fall that would have otherwise resulted in death. Set in three distinct worlds including a lush Mayan world, a snow-covered Chinese landscape, and a futuristic setting; PS Vita gamers will find plenty to love with Chronovolt.

PSN Holiday Essentials Sale (Week 3)

Various discounts for Plus members

The PSN Holiday Essentials wraps up this week with great deals on games you might have missed out on. Notables include the unique and completely charming Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes, and the remastered HD version of Shadow of the Colossus. Take a look at the full breakdown below:

Game

Normal Price

PSN Sale Price

Plus Sale Price

Batman: Arkham City

$29.99

$20.99

$14.70

inFAMOUS Festival of Blood

$9.99

$6.99

$4.90

inFAMOUS 2

$19.99

$13.99

Free in Plus

Assassin’s Creed 2 Deluxe Edition

$19.99

$13.99

$9.80

Shadow of the Colossus

$19.99

$13.99

$9.80

Bulletstorm

$19.99

$13.99

$9.80

Sound Shapes (PS3 and PS Vita Cross Buy)

$14.99

$10.49

$7.35

Sound Shapes (PS Vita only)

$14.99

$10.49

$7.35

TOKYO JUNGLE

$14.99

$10.49

$7.35

Skullgirls

$14.99

$10.49

$7.35

Touch My Katamari

$24.99

$17.49

$12.25

Message 1 of 62 (843 Views)
I Only Post Everything
990 posts

Re: Sound Off: PS Plus 12/31 Update: NBA Jam On Fire Edition and Chronovolt (PS Vita) Free for Plus

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2012

Some of these games Europe has already recieved for free. I suppose games such as Batman & Bulletstorm wont be coming to NA anytime soon. Anyway, I picked up Batman Arkham GOTY for $20 during boxing day (Canadas version of black friday) so is that the vanilla or goty because $20(for those who dont have ps+) for the vanilla isn't a good deal at all considering Europe got it for free. 

Message 2 of 62 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
576 posts

Re: Sound Off: PS Plus 12/31 Update: NBA Jam On Fire Edition and Chronovolt (PS Vita) Free for Plus

Dec 31, 2012

I will be picking up Sounds and Shapes as well as Tokyo Jungle.  They peaked my interest but not enough to get them @ $15.00 a pop, glad I waited.  I can't complain about Basketball game being free. I prefer that over Batman Arkham City, as that was a day 1 buy for me.

Message 3 of 62 (810 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39998 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2012

Another sports title, this is in my view not the way to go mochuuu.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a personal thing, some sports I like, others not so much, I know you said you haven't been around that much this last week, but if you get the opportunity have a look through the past weeks posts & you'll see some of the unhappiness about you giving us another sports title, & so soon after the other one.

Your wording above says "you don't have to be a basletball nut", well maybe not, but you have to at least like basketball surely?

Personally I think sports titles should be left out of PS Plus offerings, certainly as freebies anyway, they have appeal only to a certain demographic.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 4 of 62 (808 Views)
Fender Bender
3401 posts

Dec 31, 2012

Oh c'mon Brit it's only the second sports title and it's actually hilarious and awesome. Got a pretty high metacritic score. I loved NBA Jam as a kid. Smiley Very Happy

I would like to know Morgan, is NBA Jam going to still be playable online? I've perused the EA forums and no one seems to know if the On Fire Edition will be going offline or not. Also....does the Catwoman DLC come with Arkham City like when you buy the retail disc new? Thanks!!

Message 5 of 62 (801 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7190 posts

Dec 31, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

Don't get me wrong this isn't a personal thing, some sports I like, others not so much, I know you said you haven't been around that much this last week, but if you get the opportunity have a look through the past weeks posts & you'll see some of the unhappiness about you giving us another sports title, & so soon after the other one.

Your wording above says "you don't have to be a basletball nut", well maybe not, but you have to at least like basketball surely?

Personally I think sports titles should be left out of PS Plus offerings, certainly as freebies anyway, they have appeal only to a certain demographic.

Leaving any genre out isn't being fair. I'm not a huge sports fan AT ALL (I probably won't be playing NBA Jam), but let's get real here, sports games and sports in general are HUGE, especially here in the U.S. They appeal to more people than you think, and every genre appeals to a "certain demographic" more than others.

Message 6 of 62 (798 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39998 posts

Dec 31, 2012

snakeman07 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

Leaving any genre out isn't being fair. I'm not a huge sports fan AT ALL (I probably won't be playing NBA Jam), but let's get real here, sports games and sports in general are HUGE, especially here in the U.S. They appeal to more people than you think, and every genre appeals to a "certain demographic" more than others.

Agreed, but Sports games in general I think more so.

Also I never said leave the whole genre out at all, I said just don't make them them freebies.

Message 7 of 62 (794 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7190 posts

Dec 31, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

snakeman07 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

Also I never said leave the whole genre out at all, I said just don't make them them freebies.

So, let's make sports fans always pay for a game, and never let them have a chance at getting one for free? Again, not fair if you ask me.

Message 8 of 62 (791 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39998 posts

Dec 31, 2012

snakeman07 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

snakeman07 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

So, let's make sports fans always pay for a game, and never let them have a chance at getting one for free? Again, not fair if you ask me.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Message 9 of 62 (780 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7190 posts

Dec 31, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

snakeman07 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

snakeman07 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

One part of me wants to agree with you since I'm not a fan of sports, but there's that other reason lol.

Message 10 of 62 (776 Views)
0 Likes