VP of Gaming
27624 posts

Re: Sound Off: PS Plus 12/17 Update: Anomaly Warzne Earth - Holiday Sales

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

Like jc & others I was a day one subscriber & remain so now, what part of your / Sony's job is now is to try to do something to keep us, the loyal day one subscribers, I'm seriously considering doing what others like jpb do & only subscribe when I see something decent hit Plus, which for me hasn't been for some time now.

I've been a good advocate of Plus & supported it in the face of some venomous comments on these Forums, I know I still get way in excess of my $49.99 a year but it's wearing thin now, so sorry mochuuu, must do better - Rating C+

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 40 (264 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1245 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Thanks for the responses.  I should have qualified my first point to talk about the full games.  I get it - I think this is an excellent marketing opportunity for Sony to push the PS3 into any final late adaptors hands, and if done correctly (i.e. actually market the Vita), the instant game collection should be an excellent incentive to give the Vita a go.  There are still issues with the prices of Vita memory cards, but I digress.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 40 (250 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
1462 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

Like jc & others I was a day one subscriber & remain so now, what part of your / Sony's job is now is to try to do something to keep us, the loyal day one subscribers, I'm seriously considering doing what others like jpb do & only subscribe when I see something decent hit Plus, which for me hasn't been for some time now.

I've been a good advocate of Plus & supported it in the face of some venomous comments on these Forums, I know I still get way in excess of my $49.99 a year but it's wearing thin now, so sorry mochuuu, must do better - Rating C+

That feedback is totally valid; and as always, appreciated!  Plus 'approval ratings' from the core PS community is always one that fluctuates depending on the news. For instance when we debuted the PLus collection on PS Vita, there was universal praise; but when we a week with a game that has perhaps a lower profile, approval ratings go way down. I have a feeling with the announcement next week, that people will be pretty excited, but maybe I'm biaed :smileywink: well..i guess I AM biased lol. 

But yeah, I mean right now, PLus is a completely optional sevrice right; so how do we make it always indispensable to everyone? We saw a ton of success when we introduced the instant game collection, but there's always the question of what do you do about the folks who already have the games? I'm aware of that factor, but it's definitely not a quick solve. Then there's EU comparisons, which I feel is mostly a matter of positioning. I'm of the opinion that if we showed off all the content that we're set to deliver in December, compared to what EU showed, the comparisons wouldn't be as critical. But the week to week announcements make it a bit tough to accurately compare.

I have a number of other ideas as well, but this stuff takes time, and for now, the program is in a very good place with what it's offering, so we, as an organization, have to be careful to not rock the boat too much,  because there are fundamental marketing factors (please don't think of 'marketing' as a bad word, lol. it's incredibly important and it's not just about things like TV ads or something) that we have to consider too, and that means to have a consistent message for everyone who is still just learning about Plus (unlike you guys, who have known  for years) . But I want to make sure we're always accounting for what everyone is saying in the core community about it, because it's you guys who we have to make sure we are continually listening to. And in that regard, the Community Management team is working incredibly hard to ensure that you all have the best channels to be heard; and that we have the best practices internally to collect the feedback. Tough to see in action, I know, but you guys are well-represented here in Foster City, CA.  Thanks as always! 

- morgan haro, SCEA PlayStation Community Management Team
@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 40 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Then there's EU comparisons, which I feel is mostly a matter of positioning. I'm of the opinion that if we showed off all the content that we're set to deliver in December, compared to what EU showed, the comparisons wouldn't be as critical.

Well it’s hard to argue that we have gotten the same value of games when they have gotten a lot more Full ps3 games. We have received 3 games that EU has not (two of them being fighting games), and EU has gotten 9 Full ps3 games that we have not. So far this month has not been as good for me mainly because of Street fighter 4, I don’t even know why you guys would put in the a third fighting game in 6 months, especially since we really haven’t gotten a lot of verity yet. We have only got 2 FPS (one Full, one psn) no racing games and no real RPGs. Also the comparison is so critical because most people are not just looking at this month but all the games received since the start of the IGC.

Side notes.

It would be 2 games that we have that EU doesn’t but I’m not going to include Bioshock because they are getting it next month.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 40 (220 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1245 posts

Dec 21, 2012

bamahollis88 wrote:

We have only got 2 FPS (one Full, one psn) no racing games and no real RPGs. Also the comparison is so critical because most people are not just looking at this month but all the games received since the start of the IGC.

We did get Shift 2 Unleashed back in April, which was before the start of the IGC.  I wonder if Sony received poor feedback for that one, but I can't imagine it getting lower rating than Blitz.

I think there may be riots in the forums and on the blog if we got an RPG.  While I love them, they are really too niche, and if a PS+ subscriber likes RPGs, unless they are new to owning a PS3, they will already have most if not all of the RPGs available.

The above points out the real challenge for Sony.  How do they put in full games that have universal appeal.  I bet it is difficult at best ...

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 40 (198 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 21, 2012
I agree that RPGs aren't nearly as popular as they once were, and there isn't a huge amount available on the PS3 anyway.

Overall I think PS+ is a great program, and is X10 better than before the IGC was started, where we mostly only had PSone games to look forward to each month. Full PS3 games and PSN games were just added bonuses.

I bet there would be far less complaints if the game selections were more universal...
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 40 (195 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
46584 posts

Dec 21, 2012

That anomoly warzone game looks pretty cool.  I'll let you know more once I try it!

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 40 (192 Views)
0 Likes
1462 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I agree that RPGs aren't nearly as popular as they once were, and there isn't a huge amount available on the PS3 anyway.

Overall I think PS+ is a great program, and is X10 better than before the IGC was started, where we mostly only had PSone games to look forward to each month. Full PS3 games and PSN games were just added bonuses.

I bet there would be far less complaints if the game selections were more universal...

In an upcoming poll, I'm going to differentiate between western and Japanese RPGs as I think the options there vary pretty widely and the tastes do as well. But yeah, a Full PS3 Game on the PS Store that is a JRPG doesn't show a lot of results at the moment. But there's also leveraging the classic stuff on PS one PS2 Classics and PSP as well I suppose. 

@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 40 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4989 posts

Dec 21, 2012

morgan-- with the store updateing on monday for the next few weeks-- when can we expect the drop? and the plus news?

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 40 (167 Views)
0 Likes
1462 posts

Dec 22, 2012

jpbslayer wrote:

morgan-- with the store updateing on monday for the next few weeks-- when can we expect the drop? and the plus news?

plus news on mondaymorning as usual, before the Store updates later that day. the PSN CM team doesn't run with the drop post, so I don't have any insight into that one. I'd guess Saturday / Sunday as usual. 

@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 40 (148 Views)