Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/24/2004
Offline
7331 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

uh--oh wrote:
 

Hey Shane, you think you know everything huh? Well sir my developers of my games was owned by Sony. Matter of fact not only did sony own the developers they owned the servers as well. Matter of fact Sony last year told us that they were finally sh\utting the servers down, not the developers. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

Goes to show that you know squat!!!

 

 

Whats ironic is that you don't know either about the servers. But according to you Sony can't do know wrong. LMAO pleaz. I have been with sony for a long time and I have let some things go because I was having fun. The point being is when sony decides to start asking for money for servers and network. Well now Its time to know. Traditionally sony has always kept quiet and at times thats a huge downfall. Not knowing is just as bad as knowing(ex-microsoft). Oh would you let someone sell you something even though you have never seen it? Not smart is it? LOL You kids just don't think.

 

 

Yet as it pertains to this new network, no one knows a thing. I have had games made only for MP side and guess what. Sony had that screwed. Couldn't log in for the first 3 days. Your think sony is so perfect? Have you not looked around these forums. error, this or error that, YLOD and the list goes on, hate to burst your bubble but a lot of that is sony not doing things properly. Anyway,

 

Lets hear about the servers since you know so much......... Show me a link on how great the servers are why your at it.


I never claimed to know everything but you throw random crap out there and say it is fact, like Sony's billions in profit. I still have YET to see you prove ANY fact that you claim.

 

And "YOUR" game, which is most likely Socom, is developed by Zipper or Slant 6 which Zipper is owned by Sony but I believe now shutdown and Slant 6 is not owned by Sony but contracted to do a Sony title. Am I correct?

Either way, Sony still did NOT host the servers for those games, nor MAG or Warhawk which were also Sony games. At the release of Warhawk the dev did under estimate the release numbers but quickly added more servers (actually PS3s) to accommodate.  The dev also was online with us trying to fix issues, I was absolutely impressed with how they handled that release.

 

Those are games that you are talking about. How was it when the PSN came online? I didn't have any issue but I am sure you did. Maybe that is because I know how to setup my network and make sure that my PS3 was able to connect to whatever it needed to connect to. Both devs for COD had major issues on each release but guess what? That had NOTHING to do with Sony! But I bet you keep buying COD, don't you? And in almost all releases of COD the devs blamed the users, not the overload which I thought was insulting. Then soon after a server side and client side patch, a lot of issues cleaned up....hmmmmmm Who is the issue?

 

Every time I have had an issue with Sony I have been "taken care of". I don't know what the server specs, numbers or value that the new PSN will be BUT I am sure if there are issues my year account will be extended the amount of down time or more that we didn't have access. I am not over critical of something that is not out yet. No one has an idea of what is going to happen but Sony has some dam good engineers that know a hell a lot more than us.

 

You are so pessimistic that it has already failed just because they haven't said anything. They don't have to say ANYTHING. Just because MS stated they bought 300k servers means what? It means nothing, the numbers mean ABSOLUTELY nothing but to you it is God's answer to everything and that everything is going to run perfect because there are 300k of them. But for all you know they could be 66MHz CPU units with 4MB of RAM, but that is ok because they have 300k of them!

PSXBGamer- wrote:
"2000-2016 still in the year 2000 i didnt know we was in the year 3000"


http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Does-it-bother-you-that-Sony-brags-about-how-well-they-re-doing/td-p/45935146/page/12


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 41 of 54 (196 Views)
First Son
Registered: 08/28/2013
Offline
5 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

I am sure Sony could throw out a number to please you like Microsoft did.  It really doesn't mean anything until people actually get to see for themselves how it performs.

{XBox Live: Grunt37} {PSN: Bear-47-}
Message 42 of 54 (189 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 09/07/2008
Offline
4927 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

uh--oh wrote:
 

Hey Shane, you think you know everything huh? Well sir my developers of my games was owned by Sony. Matter of fact not only did sony own the developers they owned the servers as well. Matter of fact Sony last year told us that they were finally sh\utting the servers down, not the developers. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

Goes to show that you know squat!!!

 

 

Whats ironic is that you don't know either about the servers. But according to you Sony can't do know wrong. LMAO pleaz. I have been with sony for a long time and I have let some things go because I was having fun. The point being is when sony decides to start asking for money for servers and network. Well now Its time to know. Traditionally sony has always kept quiet and at times thats a huge downfall. Not knowing is just as bad as knowing(ex-microsoft). Oh would you let someone sell you something even though you have never seen it? Not smart is it? LOL You kids just don't think.

 

 

Yet as it pertains to this new network, no one knows a thing. I have had games made only for MP side and guess what. Sony had that screwed. Couldn't log in for the first 3 days. Your think sony is so perfect? Have you not looked around these forums. error, this or error that, YLOD and the list goes on, hate to burst your bubble but a lot of that is sony not doing things properly. Anyway,

 

Lets hear about the servers since you know so much......... Show me a link on how great the servers are why your at it.


I never claimed to know everything but you throw random crap out there and say it is fact, like Sony's billions in profit. I still have YET to see you prove ANY fact that you claim. Ahem I actually provided a link but like I said, you don't want truths, you want Sony to be the perfect angel......

 

And "YOUR" game, which is most likely Socom, is developed by Zipper or Slant 6 which Zipper is owned by Sony but I believe now shutdown and Slant 6 is not owned by Sony but contracted to do a Sony title. Am I correct?

Either way, Sony still did NOT host the servers for those games, nor MAG or Warhawk which were also Sony games. At the release of Warhawk the dev did under estimate the release numbers but quickly added more servers (actually PS3s) to accommodate.  The dev also was online with us trying to fix issues, I was absolutely impressed with how they handled that release.

 

Those are games that you are talking about. How was it when the PSN came online? I didn't have any issue but I am sure you did. Maybe that is because I know how to setup my network and make sure that my PS3 was able to connect to whatever it needed to connect to. Both devs for COD had major issues on each release but guess what? That had NOTHING to do with Sony! But I bet you keep buying COD, don't you? And in almost all releases of COD the devs blamed the users, not the overload which I thought was insulting. Then soon after a server side and client side patch, a lot of issues cleaned up....hmmmmmm Who is the issue?

 

Every time I have had an issue with Sony I have been "taken care of". I don't know what the server specs, numbers or value that the new PSN will be BUT I am sure if there are issues my year account will be extended the amount of down time or more that we didn't have access. I am not over critical of something that is not out yet. No one has an idea of what is going to happen but Sony has some dam good engineers that know a hell a lot more than us.

 

You are so pessimistic that it has already failed just because they haven't said anything. They don't have to say ANYTHING. Just because MS stated they bought 300k servers means what? It means nothing, the numbers mean ABSOLUTELY nothing but to you it is God's answer to everything and that everything is going to run perfect because there are 300k of them. But for all you know they could be 66MHz CPU units with 4MB of RAM, but that is ok because they have 300k of them!


Shane its clear you have no idea so deal with that.How easily you ignore what I posted yet go look at the forums. Even though they have been changed for some there is tons of post about poor updates to poor ps3 design. Yet no one including yourself seems to hold anyone responcible except for the gamer who did something wrong on their end. Well go look and educated yourself. Oh by the way thanks for proving Sony actually owned a few developers which proved I was right!!!!!!
 
As for the servers, like I said show me a link to prove you are right? How does it feel to be paying for something that you don't get to see? Since you want to throw out exceptions, what happens if there is 10,000 servers with 500,000 max limit for gamers. Where would you be when you can't log in and just paid 50 dollars for the year. Pessimism? Maybe, but realistic because by not knowing its a possibility.
Message 43 of 54 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Online
13132 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013
Requesting thread lock
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 44 of 54 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

uh--oh wrote:

Wow, this has grown beyond rediculous. Sony where is the information about this new network? How many servers? How fast is network going to work?

 

 

WHY IS SONY DELIBERATELY KEEPING THIS INFORMATION TIGHT LIPPED? People you should be worried.


Why should people be worried? Does Netflix tell you their server config? How about Amazon? Google? What does it mean either way? Nothing. Great MS bought 300k servers. Does that mean all 300k are going to be used for "dedicated" servers? Wouldn't you think that a lot of those will be allocated for their "cloud" services that help the One process data? Or even other storage functions?

 

I have 15 servers and only 4 do similar processing. So why does it matter?

 

I should also add this thought.

What are the specs of those 300k servers? Are they Xeon CPU, tons of RAM and HDD space servers? Or are the XBox One Consoles with server side software? Numbers mean nothing unless there is some beef behind the hardware. If you told me they are Quad Xeon 4 core CPUs, 128GB RAM and 32TB of HDD per server I might be impressed. But like I said, they could just be XBone consoles with server side software which is meh.


MS was sly in saying 300K servers....

but they're not physical servers... they are VIRTUAL. 

The amount of physical servers is likely never to be known, probably for MS to save any sort of future embarrassment.

I believe Johnathon Blow was the one to break the news first about MS using virtualized software for their cloud-processing and dedicated servers.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 45 of 54 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

I see MS has brain washed some people into thinking every online game they support will have 300,000

Dedicated servers. You want an answer? NO they will not, it is entirely up to the game developer.

If the developer is willing to pay MS money then that game will have them. The 300,000 servers that MS says they will have do you really think they are just for gaming, No really. Yes then I have prime Mountain Views for sale just outside Miami Beach.

If no. Then you haven't been brainwashed and your head is not in the "clouds". Good for you.

 

I started this thread by not directly answering the OPs question. As I have sensed everything that some say

Is against everything Sony is trying to do. If some people and you know who you are, are so upset

and against the PS4 and Sony why do you act like your getting a PS4 when clearly your not.

Last I checked when I was outraged against a company for demanding I be a pond, an open wallet, a tool to be

used for corporate gain it was by 1 company I think we know the company and it's not Sony.

 

Now use all your arguments against the PS4 and get an XB1 because MS really cares for you.

It's not your money they want it's your happiness. That's why all the 180's to make you happy. Sarcasm

 

Ok now to your question if you really care?

Sony has stated they have been involved in talks with rackspace. We don't know the details yet.

Keep in mind before you say but, but, but that doesn't answer the question. I know the train of thought now.

Rackspace is far larger than anything MS has.


I've read in several articles that Sony is talking with Rackspace and Azure for servers. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 46 of 54 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:
I'm with you OP. Sony apologist are the worst. Like wives saying there's not a problem when their husband beat them

You must be one of those guys that sit in the back of a group and when anytime some you like, says something, you're right there behind them saying "Yeah, thats right" 

Don't be that guy.... its annoying.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 47 of 54 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Simple reply, and I'll take it slowly so we can all hopefully stay on the same page...

 

M$ has 'confirmed' 300,000 new servers.  Nobody is refuting this to be true.

 

Beyond '300,000 new servers', M$ has given no further information.

 

These being 'facts', here is my question:

 

What are those 300,000 new servers being used for?  What is the user capacity of those 300,000 new servers?

 

My semi-educated guess is that the vast majority of those 'servers' (~250,000 - 280,000) are actually servers set up with hardware that compliments the hardware in the XB1.  That is, they are set up for remote computational purposes, or, in layman's terms, 'Cloud processing' of complex graphical and mathematical algorythms above and beyond that which the XBox One can do on its own.

 

 

It has been stated by several developers that the processing power of the PS4 is 40% or more greater than that of the XB1.  Cloud processing is what M$ is doing to 'level the playing field' to some degree.

 

Question...  what if Sony also employs cloud processing (which has pretty much already been confirmed: Gaikai, anyone?)?  The extra income from 3+ years of PS+ and moving forward certainly gives Sony the money necessary to do so.

 

You keep bringing up the fact that there are 1.5 million PS4 preorders and wonder if the network will be able to handle the masses.

 

Reminder: There are currently over 77 million PS3s out there, and there are very few issues with the current network.

 

Given that, I'm pretty sure Sony will be able to handle the masses from day 1.

 

So yeah, this is me saying (again) that any information released on number and capacity of servers from either company is pretty useless.


I wouldn't put it past them if MS simply just used Xbox1's in a beowulf cluster for their 300k servers and running custom virtualization software.

The USAF did it with PS3's and it turned out to the the 8th best Server in the world. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 48 of 54 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 09/07/2008
Offline
4927 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

uh--oh wrote:

Wow, this has grown beyond rediculous. Sony where is the information about this new network? How many servers? How fast is network going to work?

 

 

WHY IS SONY DELIBERATELY KEEPING THIS INFORMATION TIGHT LIPPED? People you should be worried.


Why should people be worried? Does Netflix tell you their server config? How about Amazon? Google? What does it mean either way? Nothing. Great MS bought 300k servers. Does that mean all 300k are going to be used for "dedicated" servers? Wouldn't you think that a lot of those will be allocated for their "cloud" services that help the One process data? Or even other storage functions?

 

I have 15 servers and only 4 do similar processing. So why does it matter?

 

I should also add this thought.

What are the specs of those 300k servers? Are they Xeon CPU, tons of RAM and HDD space servers? Or are the XBox One Consoles with server side software? Numbers mean nothing unless there is some beef behind the hardware. If you told me they are Quad Xeon 4 core CPUs, 128GB RAM and 32TB of HDD per server I might be impressed. But like I said, they could just be XBone consoles with server side software which is meh.


MS was sly in saying 300K servers....

but they're not physical servers... they are VIRTUAL. 

The amount of physical servers is likely never to be known, probably for MS to save any sort of future embarrassment.

I believe Johnathon Blow was the one to break the news first about MS using virtualized software for their cloud-processing and dedicated servers.


okay grey, then tell me everything about the new network? Geez I've never seen so many people tripping on such a simple question. I was hoping that gamescon would have had some sony press release and I was unable to watch it. Thus I came to the forums to find out a simple reply. After all this is something that you will have to spend your money on if you want to use Mp (i kno certain games).

 

Yet what we get for replies is everything but the answer. lol Look how hard is to say " OH, sorry bro but I don't know". and then move on. I know at some point someone will know and then we get the answer. Until then dudes act a little more civilized please.

Message 49 of 54 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Online
13132 posts
 

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 28, 2013
>You get the replies you get because

1.)No one likes you
2.)You are known as the baby of the ps forums
3.)You're making a big deal out of nothing
4.)It's not that serious
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 50 of 54 (138 Views)