Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1229 posts

Re: Any information on the amount of servers in network?

Aug 27, 2013

BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

Ok let me ask you this. Keep in mind I am not a sony "appolgist" as you call them, seeing as I just came over here after leaving xbox. I think reasonably. So let me ask you, do you honestly think Sony doesn't know what they are doing? Do you think they would want the bad publicity, the humiliation, the potential for dev's to leave them if they didn't have enough servers and things crashed? I mean really? I would think they would have this under control, seeing as they have delt with servers for the past what? decade? (PS1, PS2, PS3, ect). Honestly I think your worrying about nothing. Do you realize the backlash that would follow not only from the fans, but from the media and microsoft as well? I think they got it. This thing where people feel entitled to know every little bit of info right this sceond needs to stop. No one has to to tell anyone anything, we should be grateful we know what we know...

EXACTLY....I agree....It really doesn't matter if Sony has 1 or 1,000,000,000 servers, the network will either work or it won't, so why worry worry about it or obsess over it now.   There is absolutely nothing any of us can do about it either way.

Message 31 of 54 (240 Views)
MVP Support
8462 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2013

Simple reply, and I'll take it slowly so we can all hopefully stay on the same page...

M$ has 'confirmed' 300,000 new servers.  Nobody is refuting this to be true.

Beyond '300,000 new servers', M$ has given no further information.

These being 'facts', here is my question:

What are those 300,000 new servers being used for?  What is the user capacity of those 300,000 new servers?

My semi-educated guess is that the vast majority of those 'servers' (~250,000 - 280,000) are actually servers set up with hardware that compliments the hardware in the XB1.  That is, they are set up for remote computational purposes, or, in layman's terms, 'Cloud processing' of complex graphical and mathematical algorythms above and beyond that which the XBox One can do on its own.

It has been stated by several developers that the processing power of the PS4 is 40% or more greater than that of the XB1.  Cloud processing is what M$ is doing to 'level the playing field' to some degree.

Question...  what if Sony also employs cloud processing (which has pretty much already been confirmed: Gaikai, anyone?)?  The extra income from 3+ years of PS+ and moving forward certainly gives Sony the money necessary to do so.

You keep bringing up the fact that there are 1.5 million PS4 preorders and wonder if the network will be able to handle the masses.

Reminder: There are currently over 77 million PS3s out there, and there are very few issues with the current network.

Given that, I'm pretty sure Sony will be able to handle the masses from day 1.

So yeah, this is me saying (again) that any information released on number and capacity of servers from either company is pretty useless.

Message 32 of 54 (239 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4759 posts

Re: Sony tell us about the network, we know nothing thanks to you???????

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2013

uh--oh wrote:

da1writer wrote:

ErinH88 wrote:
Yeah, I generally agree. I think people who say stuff like "You sound hard to please" are sheep. You want these companies to please you -- I'm not sure why people defend Microsoft, Sony, or any other companies. My main beef with Sony right now is that the only things that have been coming out of their mouths since E3 was "Insert Microsoft low blow here" and "Indies, indies, indies." Meanwhile, Microsoft has been doing things like "Ask Microsoft anything." I know more about the X1 than PS4 at this point.

http://x.co/ps4info

exactly my point. Sony just walking around with their chest out while telling us how great we are. yet we know nothing....

PS4 to utilize Cloud Computing for Matchmaking and other features [like the Xbox One]

Better, more secure servers coming to PS4, cloud based

http://www.rackspace.com/

Rackspace supplies dedicated servers!!! Sony Signed a Deal with them!!!! NO WAAYY!!!!!

How many so I can sleep at night?

Take note: This is the first time Uh-oh has replied to me. Check other threads and posts, never replies to me.

Message 33 of 54 (231 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
14460 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Your questions must be too direct.

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Message 34 of 54 (217 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Hey da1writer I gave you kudos not for 1 reason but 2.

1st you always have links

2nd you have displayed my favorite band of all time Pink Floyd.

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 35 of 54 (214 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2013

Yeah, I don't know what you're going to do with that number. If we had servers running BF4's 64 player servers we'd only need around 24,000 servers to host 1,500,000 PS4 users. :smileywink:

Edit: Maybe you should Tweet Sony. I don't see them posting here anytime soon.

Message 36 of 54 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
346 posts

Aug 27, 2013

uh--oh wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

uh--oh wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

not really

there are 80million ps3's out in the wild all with free online

and i think the ps3 network is 30k?

Spiral, I've seen probs when the server is 100,000. You got a full network now in which a multitude of events occuring simulaneously. Streaming, chat, etc.... This is definately something to be concerned about. Anyway I hope when someone finds out the will post here on in forums. I am curious and still very undecided at this point. Im still mad about the charge for MP..lol but thats another story I don't want to get into ...lol\

Looks like toxic hit the nail on the head nice and early with this guy lol.  I have said it before i will let Sony's engineers decide how much we need and I will hold off on any complaints until I have a problem that would deserve a complaint.  If you are worried just wait until the numbers are released or if they are not wait until the system launches and come back to the forums at that time and hear what people have to say.

Wow, IM totally amazed. All I am doing is asking if anyone has heard anything about the amount of servers for the new network. What do I get? Bunch of people complaining. Its simple, instead of coming here crying just answer the question that you don't know and then move on. How hard is that to understand.

I am wanting to know since gamescon was going on and I didn't have time to keep up with it, to where sony may have release information of that I am unaware. There I have broken this down to simplistic question. Have a good day.. :smileyhappy:

You want people to come and answer a question that they don't know the answer to?

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan.
Message 37 of 54 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3912 posts

Aug 28, 2013

xsongk wrote:

uh--oh wrote:

peckdogg68 wrote:

uh--oh wrote:

TheSpiralMatrix wrote:

not really

there are 80million ps3's out in the wild all with free online

and i think the ps3 network is 30k?

Spiral, I've seen probs when the server is 100,000. You got a full network now in which a multitude of events occuring simulaneously. Streaming, chat, etc.... This is definately something to be concerned about. Anyway I hope when someone finds out the will post here on in forums. I am curious and still very undecided at this point. Im still mad about the charge for MP..lol but thats another story I don't want to get into ...lol\

Looks like toxic hit the nail on the head nice and early with this guy lol.  I have said it before i will let Sony's engineers decide how much we need and I will hold off on any complaints until I have a problem that would deserve a complaint.  If you are worried just wait until the numbers are released or if they are not wait until the system launches and come back to the forums at that time and hear what people have to say.

Wow, IM totally amazed. All I am doing is asking if anyone has heard anything about the amount of servers for the new network. What do I get? Bunch of people complaining. Its simple, instead of coming here crying just answer the question that you don't know and then move on. How hard is that to understand.

I am wanting to know since gamescon was going on and I didn't have time to keep up with it, to where sony may have release information of that I am unaware. There I have broken this down to simplistic question. Have a good day.. :smileyhappy:

You want people to come and answer a question that they don't know the answer to?

Actually I was wondering if someone did know, not to be attacked or flamed. I've got people telling me to keep trust in sony while all along they don't know how good the network is going to be. Ideally just like shopping, you don't buy unless you know what its like in the first place. Thats common sense.

Message 38 of 54 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12330 posts

Aug 28, 2013

You weren't gonna buy anyway.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 39 of 54 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10818 posts

Aug 28, 2013
Uh-oh do you realize no one here gives a crap about your opinion on "what we need".
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 40 of 54 (160 Views)