Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

Re: Sony still can't make a curve

Jul 24, 2005
The system isn't finalized and they have curves on PSP. It uses NURBS!!!!
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Message 71 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1170 posts

Jul 24, 2005
The PSP has Toy Story  or one of it's dirivites on it?  Because no game uses NURBS,
Message 72 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4222 posts

Jul 24, 2005
ignore... dead site.
yellowstar net.

Message 73 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 24, 2005
This is one hilarious topic to be discussing. The system is still in development, as are the games obviously, and someone's making an argument that Sony can't make a curve? Let's really scrutinize this here, because we all know without perfect curves, all games are teh suck, right? Would everyone please lean in very close to your monitor, VERY CLOSE, so that your eyes burn from trying to focus. There? Good. Now, carefully examine just about anything that I'm typing, particluarly this special vowel here: 'O'. Looking at it..? GASP!! It's not a friggin curve! I see blocky pixels! BLOCKY PIXELS I TELL YOU!! I paid how much for this graphics card and I can't even get a realisticly curved 'O'?!? **bleep**?!?! Point made? I think so. I'm going to bed now, hope I dont have nightmares of being attacked by boxy, pixellated... uhh, things.
Message 74 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

Jul 24, 2005
SUPER LOCK
Message 75 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25087 posts

Jul 24, 2005
PSP may not use NURBS or w/e, but it uses something. Look at NFS and wipeout. Wipeout looks extreamly smooth

think different
Message 76 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
923 posts

Jul 24, 2005
whoa...oh my...look at that?   WHAT? and i guess you could do,better? who is actually going to look that closely, let alone care?
Message 77 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
WWX
Uncharted Territory
1915 posts

Jul 24, 2005

Children of Bodom wrote:

,Sony still can't make a curve.

,You were saying?
Message 78 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2101 posts

Jul 24, 2005

BrightIco wrote:

Children of Bodom wrote:

Sony still can't make a curve.

You were saying?

Not bad if you like jagged ass.
Message 79 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
832 posts

Jul 24, 2005

BrightIco wrote:

Children of Bodom wrote:

Sony still can't make a curve.

You were saying?

This topic is stupid, no game has smooth curves.

Xbox or PS2.

,I don't think next gen will be much different either. If the guy who,started this topic wasn't a total moron who obviously knows nothing,about 3D he'd realize that.

...and NURBS are crappy. The reason pixar moves are round is not because of nurbs. Its just insanely high poly counts.

,FYI,  Firstly, nobody in the CG animated feature film industry use,nurbs, they are far to complex and slow, they make the software chug,,and the renders take forever. By rendering in polys "you" the artist,can determine where you want extra detail to be added and can decide,"oh, this area needs to be smooth cause the camera will be getting,close to it".

Thats why you have to look at a characters,shoulder, or the edge of the track surface to notice nickeled,edges....the artist chose to conserve detail to retain performance in,those area cause they are not the center of action.

Secondly,,In CG you only "model" in nurbs, when you output from the software,(Maya, Houdini ect) its all polys.  The problem with NURBS is that it,puts extreme detail everywhere, because nurbs always insist on being,perfectly smooth. So when their converted to polys you end up with 6000,polys being used for a characters armpit that you will never see. 6000,polys you could have used to make the face look better.

,Plus,having actualy tried to do work with nurbs...all i have to say is good,luck texturing them. People said i was crazy back in school when i was,going,to do one of my projects in NURBS and you know what...they were right.,Ive been in the busniess now 4 years and ive never used them once...its,polys all the way.

Message Edited by Sgt.Napalm on 07-24-2005 06:17 PM

Photobucket
Message 80 of 85 (14 Views)
0 Likes