This is getting pretty confusing.

Message 31 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15686 posts

Re: Sony still can't make a curve

Jul 18, 2005

Snoogans wrote:
I was reading an,article the other day, I can't remember where, but they were talking,about the upcoming consoles reaching a polygons per pixel stage as,opposed to the pixels per polygon we see now.

why,would you want that many polygons??? Its more effective to use less,polygons and normal map a texture (but not like unreal, they over use,normal mapping waay too much)
Message 32 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1089 posts

Jul 18, 2005

,Jak_the_man wrote:

,Snoogans wrote:
I was reading an article the other day, I can't remember where, but they were talking about the upcoming consoles reaching a polygons per pixel stage as opposed to the pixels per polygon we see now.

why would you want that many polygons??? Its more effective to use less polygons and normal map a texture (but not like unreal, they over use normal mapping waay too much)

Thats what the article said, I think they were just illustrating how far graphics have come.,
Message 33 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1282 posts

Jul 18, 2005
NURBS is not a solution.  Once all the calculations are made for,movement and such, the object still has to be converted to polygons for,rendering.  So you're stuck with the same problem... you need a,TON of polys to make a non-segmented edge.  (That's the word,you're looking for, by the way.. what those pics at the top show is,referred to as "segmentation").
,But the fact is, the edges of the track are pretty low-priority. ,And consider that the poly-count of the track must take into effect the,ENTIRE track, since it's all one huge object.  You'd be,hard-pressed to find similar segmentation on the cars themselves, I,think.  I don't recall seeing any, and I'm pretty good at spotting,it most of the time.
,Segmentation isn't the devil, either.. you'd be surprised how much it's,overlooked.  I remember seeing one of the Star Trek films in,theatres and later finding out that one of the CGI space ships, that,I'd seen projected onto a hundred-foot screen, had only around thirteen,thousand polygons (I've seen game models with more).  And, if I looked really,hard, I could see the segmentation.  But not while the film was,playing.  It made absolutely zero difference to the film,itself.  And I've heard that particular model was actually,high-res compared to some of the other ones from the same sequence.
,Now, there is a way to fix that, I think, but it depends on how the,track and the texture were created.  What they'd have to do is,create a specialized texture for the corner, and paint the "curved",texture right into the image.  So it would still be segmented, it,would just be a lot harder to see.  But, it all depends on how,these things are created (texture coordinates, etc), and whether,they've got the memory to hold multiple unique textures for the track,like that.  This isn't CGI, remember.. there's always going to be,limited real estate in a game console.
Message 34 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1289 posts

Jul 18, 2005
OMG IM GANNA KILLMYSELF
Message 35 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2547 posts

Jul 18, 2005

Jedi2016 wrote:
NURBS is not a,solution.  Once all the calculations are made for movement and,such, the object still has to be converted to polygons for,rendering.  So you're stuck with the same problem... you need a,TON of polys to make a non-segmented edge.  (That's the word,you're looking for, by the way.. what those pics at the top show is,referred to as "segmentation").

But the fact is, the edges of,the track are pretty low-priority.  And consider that the,poly-count of the track must take into effect the ENTIRE track, since,it's all one huge object.  You'd be hard-pressed to find similar,segmentation on the cars themselves, I think.  I don't recall,seeing any, and I'm pretty good at spotting it most of the time.

,Segmentation isn't the devil, either.. you'd be surprised how much it's,overlooked.  I remember seeing one of the Star Trek films in,theatres and later finding out that one of the CGI space ships, that,I'd seen projected onto a hundred-foot screen, had only around thirteen,thousand polygons (I've seen game models with more).  And, if I looked really,hard, I could see the segmentation.  But not while the film was,playing.  It made absolutely zero difference to the film,itself.  And I've heard that particular model was actually,high-res compared to some of the other ones from the same sequence.

,Now, there is a way to fix that, I think, but it depends on how the,track and the texture were created.  What they'd have to do is,create a specialized texture for the corner, and paint the "curved",texture right into the image.  So it would still be segmented, it,would just be a lot harder to see.  But, it all depends on how,these things are created (texture coordinates, etc), and whether,they've got the memory to hold multiple unique textures for the track,like that.  This isn't CGI, remember.. there's always going to be,limited real estate in a game console.

Appluades.
Message 36 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5073 posts

Jul 18, 2005
Definate information overload. My brain is going to explode.

Message 37 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
871 posts

Jul 18, 2005

Aleman wrote:
Considering every single 3D,game ever made is constructed of polygons, can you show me a screen,shot of a game that uses curves?  I'd be very interested to see,one...

i couldn't have said it better myself.
Message 38 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3287 posts

Jul 18, 2005
I think its hilarious that the graphics are so good that people are,complaining about a painted curve on a track of a game that isnt even,made yet. Are you really going to know that there isnt a 2 inch painted,curve when your going 200 MPH?
Message 39 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2715 posts

Jul 18, 2005
Thats why gakme developers have game testers. So that they can find flaws like that in the games.
Message 40 of 85 (4 Views)
0 Likes