Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 24 2014
By: Aftcomet Splicer 64 posts

Sony should make a power grip for the Vita with a built in battery and R2/L2/R3/L3

8 replies 550 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

Especially no w that it can be used for remote play. Not only would it extend the battery life but also improve the functionality ten fold.  Who's with me?

PC: 3570K @ 4.6GHz | GTX 560 Ti @ 935/2125 | EVGA Z77 FTW | 8GB DDR3 | 180GB Intel 330 SSD
Consoles: PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | X360 | XBOX | NES
Handhelds: Vita | 3DS XL | Gameboy Advance | Gameboy Color | Gameboy Pocket | iOS | Android
Message 1 of 9 (550 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: Sony should make a power grip for the Vita with a built in battery and R2/L2/R3/L3

Feb 24, 2014

I'm not, but maybe 250,000 PS4 and Vita owners might be. I don't really think this is that big of an issue for the Vita. You should be more concerned with its upcoming software library!

Message 2 of 9 (541 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Re: Sony should make a power grip for the Vita with a built in battery and R2/L2/R3/L3

Feb 24, 2014

They just need to make more Uncharted Golden Abysses and Killzone Mercenaries and less ports. 

PC: 3570K @ 4.6GHz | GTX 560 Ti @ 935/2125 | EVGA Z77 FTW | 8GB DDR3 | 180GB Intel 330 SSD
Consoles: PS4 | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | X360 | XBOX | NES
Handhelds: Vita | 3DS XL | Gameboy Advance | Gameboy Color | Gameboy Pocket | iOS | Android
Message 3 of 9 (530 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
849 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I use the Assist Grip and it works very well, I love it and can't play my Vita without it.

My hands are to large for the vita itself so the assist grip makes it the perfect size plus it helps with the R1 L1.

RISE_UP44
Message 4 of 9 (506 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Feb 24, 2014
I just want to be able to pair my ds4 with my vita problem solved.
Message 5 of 9 (501 Views)
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

Aftcomet wrote:

Especially no w that it can be used for remote play. Not only would it extend the battery life but also improve the functionality ten fold.  Who's with me?

Most likely pipe dreaming. There are two ways to interface with a device like the Vita. Direct physical interfacing and digitally interfacing (i.e. sending transmissions via a cable, or possibly adhoc/bluetooth). 

Since the touchscreen on the back is heat sensitive, it would be very difficult to have traditional triggers that press on the rear of the screen while transferring heat. You could potentially create a device that took your physical presses on the additional triggers and then determined it needed to send a pulse of heat to something along the back of the Vita, but I'm thinking this kind of tech is probably too expensive for this type of application. 

As far as digitally interfacing, there is not a physical interface that is available (to my knowledge) to transmit the trigger presses. I don't think it can transmit these via the USB cable (even with a Sony sanctioned software update), and the mystery port was removed on the Slim Vitas, so I doubt they would create a device that wouldn't work with the newer model. 

The other alternative would be bluetooth, however, you would think if it would work over bluetooth that they could transmit the button presses over USB.

Probably the biggest hurdles would be the engineering costs and Sony allowing this in a firmware update. This means that Sony would almost have to be the developer, and it's a bit of a risky item to develop since they don't know if there is enough demand to meet the R&D required to make this happen. It stands to reason that if Sony thought that there was the kind of demand necessary to fuel this project, they would have included R2/L2 triggers in the first place. That they put them on the back of the unit as a touch screen shows that they DID consider gamers wanted these triggers, but couldn't come up with a realistic way of adding them as an additional physical trigger without bulking up the Vita to unwanted proportions. 

Might keep your fingers crossed for a traditional grip addon that provides an extra bit of battery, although you could always just purchase the battery packs that Sony already makes.

As for Remote Play, keep in mind, that the control schemes for Remote Play are separate from the PS4 standard controls, so the good developers will design an entirely different control set with the Vita in mind.

Until something like this does come along, this is the controller grip I recommend. It is the only one I could find that completely replaces the Vita triggers with console style triggers as well as enlarging the side grip to normal man hand size.

$15.00 - http://www.amazon.com/PSVita-Trigger-Grips-Sony-PS-Vita/dp/B0072A4JVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393260...

trigger grips

Message 6 of 9 (487 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8733 posts

Feb 24, 2014

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vita+grip&oq=vita+grip&aqs=chrome..69i57.1808j0j1&sourceid=chrome&esp...

There are a bunch of grips out there.  I dont think you will get L2/R2 though as the been designed out of the system.

You would need something to simluate a back touch screen press when you pushed them.

Anyways I always had an issue with the VITA as far as holding it, my friend had his vita on the weekend and he had a grip for it, I tried it for KZ and it was almost enough to get me excited for the VITA again, its not quite a DS3 controller setup, but its closer at least.

For me to make the purchase though I will need Sony to support the DS3/DS4 even if only via a wired connection.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 7 of 9 (477 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1160 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I have the trigger grips pictured above.  They work really well.  Definitely makes it more comfy to hold and use the trigger buttons.  Would be nice to find a way to include both triggers and bumpers for using remote play rather than that awful rear touchpad. 

I too would love to see a way to connect a DS3/DS4 to the Vita though.  That would be the ultimate improvement.

Message 8 of 9 (468 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3561 posts

Feb 24, 2014

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Grip-Vita-Sony-PS/dp/B0079V29EI

That's been out since July 2012. I don't have that.

I do have a CTA grip, makes holding the PS Vita nicer for some games.

I also have a couple PlayStation Portable Chargers. Any external battery would work with the PS Vita. Granted it's not part of the grip ...

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/accessories/browse/psv-portable-charger.html

Message 9 of 9 (452 Views)
0 Likes