Jan 25 2013
By: Potatus_Masheer First Son 4 posts

Sony's Ruthless and Uncaring Customer Service Department

17 replies 375 views Edited Jan 25, 2013

This is my first time posting in the official playstation forums but I will be posting this in every game forum I can, because Sony's customer service team is EVIL. They will treat you like garbage and refuse to help you at all because of the infalability of their company. I called 3 times and spoke to 4 different agents. Of those 4, one was slightly helpful and had me speak to her boss who was again back to the trend of rude and useless.

Here's my story. I am a college student paying my way out of pocket through school, tough times and mounting homework forced my decision to sell my VITA and PS3 consoles to Gamestop, for cash... Those of you who have done so know this is at a huge loss and is only worth doing if you're screwed. So, less than 200$ later for a floundering next gen handheld I paid 288$  and a Playstation 3 worth 120$... That's right, the VITA was worth 80$... Well whatever, I supported a company who released a bomb of a hand held...

I formated both consoles then had both consoles formated at Gamestop by the store manager. To be honest Playstation menus are not very intuitive and make things difficult. Maybe I'm not smart, but Microsoft made their layout cluttered as it may be... Idiot proof. Well... 3 months later, surprise! Playstation Account recovered onto one of the consoles and my checking and savings were both emptied purchasing games on the network. Granted I'm broke so it was only 100$ + bank fees... But this was my gas money for the next two weeks as I had just paid my tuition...

Now that's the sad part. Now comes the Sony's awesome customer service part. I call the first time, I was told I could not be helped without a computer or console to log into my account... Fine... Next phone call, they don't ask me for either just my email and a few basic questions. After explaining the story here's what I'm told, "I think you should go through your bank, it will be faster and Sony isn't in the business of refunds. You will probably lose and recieve nothing." Well Sony your lax security is the reason this **bleep** happened so I'm going after you. I file for my refund. 

The next day I recieve an email asking me to call back. I call back explain again, "The claim was never filed, here let's start a new claim." This time the woman on the phone is quite helpful. Then puts me on the line with her manager to further assist. 

This guy is the bane of my existance from second one, who ever promoted this guy should themselves be fired. I explain what happened. "Did you give someone your password?" No. "You didn't format the consoles." I did and so did Gamestop I watched them. "That's impossible sir, you can't get any information once the console is formated." Something clearly happened here because yes someone does have my information and I'm out over 100$. Well long story short, he confidently explained Sony would most likely not give me a refund and even if I wanted one I had to call their claims department the next day cause he couldn't do anything for me. 

So why the hell did I even have to talk to this jerk? This is all a summary of what happened on the phone, I spoke with him for 20 minutes. The round about was, I don't have the games or a console to play them on, please just refund my money and kill the account. His whole arguement was Sony's excellent security and caution means it was my fault somehow and perhaps I was trying to extort free games.

Well Sony its on your forum for the whole community to see. Maybe someone will see this and finally help me and provide me with a bit of justice and a freaking apology for how **bleep** rude your customer service is and for allowing my identity theft. I've owned and supported your consoles since I was a kid and saved up for my first PS all the way till recently, I will NEVER EVER purchase a **bleep** thing you make if there is no resolution of this. This isn't a threat, but a statement of fact, no company should treat its customers like garbage or tell them they are at fault or lying. 

Thanks Sony. 3 generations and countless dollars of loyalty returned with, it was probably my fault and no refund for games I can't play or access, and the embarassment of having to borrow gas money from coworkers to get to school till my next pay day. THANK YOU

Message 1 of 18 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: Sony's Ruthless and Uncaring Customer Service Department

Jan 25, 2013

While I hate to be the one to break this to you, believe me, it will do no good to vent about it here.

You can, if you want, but get ready for the onslaught.  I keep this Thread and this ONE on the back burner, incase I ever need to steer someone onto the right path, as a few members did for me.  Please, I ask you not to comment on these threads, as I have moved on, and floating them to the top will do NO ONE any good.  If you choose to, Smiley Mad I will have them locked or removed from the Forum, so again, do not try and post on them.  They are useless at this point!  I just want to lend you a good example of how NOT to come onto the Forum.

Whether or not you wish to remain here in the Forum, or just fight this cause and leave, is your decision.  I welcome you to stay though.

Despite Sony's occasional short comings, this Forum is GREAT.  I have enjoyed my time here, since coming on, and if you follow the link to the Thread, you will see my tone has changed a little.

Again, Sony will not help you here, and bashing them on this Forum does not hurt them or even effect them.  Again, I speak from some experience on the matter.

My problem was eventually resolved, but in no way was it a result of my actions here.  Keep up the fight if you want, with Sony.  The PSN Forum will not be the best place for this.

Just a warning, you are about to be SLAMMED.  I won't do it, but I am just here to warn you.

Moble

Message 2 of 18 (354 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 25, 2013

I hear you bro back when PSN got hacked, and Sony FAILED to tell anyone for the longest time that our information was hacked, my bank account information was leaked. Thank GOD nothing was taken but it's mainly because I put a block on my account to prevent so many purchases without them comfirming with me. Costed me so much hassel though took about 3 weeks for me to get everything straighten out so annoying. Sony get your **bleep** together, until you do I'm never putting my information back on my PSN Account.

Message 3 of 18 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Jan 25, 2013
Lesson learned: don't give your password out to strangers.
Message 4 of 18 (326 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I did read your threads and can totally understand where you were coming from. My plan here was to hopefully attract some attention from someone within Sony who could offer assistance. Unfortunately their customer service department wont even bother listening or fully file my claim. What's the point of customer service if they will just say, too bad.

Sony has been hacked many times in the past and claimed they would resolved issues that arose. Its nice that they will say this in the media then ditch you the second it happens without a camera in their faces.
Message 5 of 18 (322 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 25, 2013

I'm not sure if you're saying you did this before, or if this is a lesson to me. If you read the entire post you'd know I didn't give my password to anyone. 

On an extended thought, I've had to deal with customer service before with other entities and I will say, Apple, Microsoft and Nintendo were all quick to act in the past. Never for identity theft, always because of hardware issues. I just don't understand Sony. Its a very cut and clear issue, I paid for products not recieved, they can have their products back by terminating the account. Why couldn't I have my money back?

This is what theft is, the exchange of money for goods and services not recieved.

If fanboys want to blast or flame me, I say, why? This could easily happen to anyone, and from what I've read online this isn't the first time.

Message 6 of 18 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Potatus_Masheer wrote:
I did read your threads and can totally understand where you were coming from. My plan here was to hopefully attract some attention from someone within Sony who could offer assistance. Unfortunately their customer service department wont even bother listening or fully file my claim. What's the point of customer service if they will just say, too bad.

Sony has been hacked many times in the past and claimed they would resolved issues that arose. Its nice that they will say this in the media then ditch you the second it happens without a camera in their faces.

It is unfortunate; but if it doesn't effect the bottom line, then why would they change?

In my experiences I had better luck with the online chat help through this site.  Although they may not be able to resolve the issue either, they at least keep track.  This way, you can also keep a written record of what is discussed, i.e.. names, contacts, and even the conversation.  Just copy and past the conversations into a file, and save them for if and when you need them.

The phone number assistance is there to help people sign on to their account (not hard) and smaller things like that.  I do not believe they are all that interested in "complaints".  It is just the nature of things.  

I also agree, their attitude on the phone leaves something to be desired.  They know they have you, and you are not going anywhere.  Even if you do leave Sony, they have someone else buying their first system, or coming over from XBox, the minute you leave.

When the system got hacked, Sony made pseudo amends, by offering free games and a PLUS trial for free.  In that case, something was better than nothing.

As far as personal information; the hack is a great example of why I NEVER share information with ANY online entity.  I do not have a Credit Card or Debit Card or even a Bank Account Number on file with PS.

Anything I have related to PSN, my user name and password, is completely different from any other pertinent accounts I have.  As far as Home address, I do not believe it is required, so why share?

Email, PSN ID, Password, is all Sony has for me.  I buy Networks Cards, which are "risky", as you may have seen.  Regardless, the worst case scenario in that issue, is I could potential be out $20 or $50.  I am not going to tie anything to the Network.  It is not worth it.

PlayStation has a strong enough consumer base, it can afford to tick off a few people.  Sad, but true.

I hope you do find resolution though.

Moble

Message 7 of 18 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Jan 25, 2013
Nothing was stolen during the hack -_-
Message 8 of 18 (308 Views)
MVP Support
38828 posts

Jan 25, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

While I hate to be the one to break this to you, believe me, it will do no good to vent about it here.

You can, if you want, but get ready for the onslaught.  I keep this Thread and this ONE on the back burner, incase I ever need to steer someone onto the right path, as a few members did for me.  Please, I ask you not to comment on these threads, as I have moved on, and floating them to the top will do NO ONE any good.  If you choose to, Smiley Mad I will have them locked or removed from the Forum, so again, do not try and post on them.  They are useless at this point!  I just want to lend you a good example of how NOT to come onto the Forum.

Whether or not you wish to remain here in the Forum, or just fight this cause and leave, is your decision.  I welcome you to stay though.

Despite Sony's occasional short comings, this Forum is GREAT.  I have enjoyed my time here, since coming on, and if you follow the link to the Thread, you will see my tone has changed a little.

Again, Sony will not help you here, and bashing them on this Forum does not hurt them or even effect them.  Again, I speak from some experience on the matter.

My problem was eventually resolved, but in no way was it a result of my actions here.  Keep up the fight if you want, with Sony.  The PSN Forum will not be the best place for this.

Just a warning, you are about to be SLAMMED.  I won't do it, but I am just here to warn you.

Moble

Scary & almost funny looking back on those posts moble, glad we get on now, you're a good asset to the Community, maybe the OP can become one too!

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 9 of 18 (306 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 25, 2013

As a side note; if you have proof of some kind, did you try going after Game Stop?

Not sure that would yield any resolution, but since they purchased it, and performed the reformatting process, they may be to answer.  Not highly likely, but it may be your best shot at this point.

Not to talk down about GS, but....  Never mind, that would be flaming, so I won't go there.

I guess a simple cautionary tidbit would be, never trade anything that could of had your personal data on it, unless you are absolutely positive, through your own doing, it has been wiped clean.

When I ditch a computer, I pull the Hard Drive and destroy it.  I know this would get you NO money for a trade in, but short of reformatting and wiping the system clean yourself, I would not trust anyone to do it for you.

I guess what johngie is saying, is you handed someone all your data and trusted them to clean it for you.  Not everyone in this World is honest.  Any employee working for any Company can do things outside the best interests of the customer, without taking into consideration or even caring what their own Company Policy is.  You see what I am saying?

If you can prove to your bank, the charges were not yours, then you may indeed be better served going to the bank.  Again, I am sure they would have different views on this, but that is also worth a try.

Moble

Message 10 of 18 (305 Views)