Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Re: Sony's AVS, and the frustrations that follow...

Jan 19, 2014

PCTechNerd wrote:

Hello Everyone,

(FYI there is a glossary at the bottom of this post defining acronyms used)

First a little background.  For the past 3 years I have been employed by a credit card processor doing technical support on credit card terminals.  I know exactly how cards process, what are requirements, and what aren't requirements.  I'm completely versed in PCI-DSS and have single handedly implemented full PCI-DSS compliance at the processor level (which is way more strict then the merchant level, i.e. Sony).

Like many others before me, I ran into issues trying to add my credit card to my PSN account as a payment option.  Try as I might, it just wouldn't accept what I put in.  I called my bank, verified every piece of information line for line (including case sensitivity and space count), and it still wouldn't accept it.  I even went to the bank, had them modify my CAD (same address, just a different way of typing it) just to make sure that the old CAD didn't have an error during transmission when it was submitted to the 3rd party AVS companies.  It still wouldn't take my card.  I called Sony, and spoke with a CS agent, who went over some troubleshooting steps with me, and her end answer was "you did everything exactly as you should".  

So here I am, with a perfectly good check card, that can't be used with the PSN.  

But here's the kicker.......AVS IS IN NO WAY REQUIRED FOR A TRANSACTION TO BE APPROVED!  It's an added level of security that is implemented mainly for high risk merchants (like over the phone purchases, catalog purchases, online purchases, and anywhere else where the card isn't present for 40% or more of a merchant's transactions), and they're not even required to use it.  They're motivated to use AVS, because if they don't, the transaction in question will cost them a little more.

There are 2 main verifiers used for key entered transactions (card not swiped).  The first is AVS, and the second is CVV2.  Once again though, neither of these are REQUIRED for a transaction to go through.

You can see this is true when you try to enter your card info in and it gets rejected by Sony.  check your bank account, and you will see a $1.00 pre-auth.  If the AVS was a requirement the pre-auth wouldn't be there, as the back end network would decline the transaction.  The transaction is going through, but the process is being rejected by Sony. 

With such a long winded post, is there a point?  I think there is.  Sony really should find a nice middle ground when it comes to proper PCI-DSS and convenience for their customer.  There has been tons of topics on the "invalid card" error and much frustration has arose from it, but the simple fact is that it's not an error caused by invalid card information.  It's an error caused by Sony jumping the shark on AVS security.

And here's to hoping it gets fixed.........

Glossary:

AVS -- Address Verification Service.  A security step used to verify the address associated with the credit card in question.  AVS is not required to process a transaction, and is only used as an added security step.  Online and other high risk merchants use AVS so their transaction doesn't downgrade (essentially costing the merchant more money per transaction)

PCI-DSS -- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.  The security standards set by Visa/Mastercard/American Express/Discover that govern what is and isn't allowed in reference to how a merchant handles any part of a credit card transaction.

CAD -- Card Address.  The address that is associated with the credit card.  This can be different then the billing address the bank has on file, but in most cases is the same.  This is the address that is submitted to 3rd party AVS companies.

CVV2 -- the 3 digit code on the back of the card

Pre-Auth --  When a merchant gets an authorization for a transaction (i.e. puts the money to the side and holds it)

FYI -- For Your Information

You forgot that one. 

Message 21 of 24 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Jan 19, 2014

Lukashhh wrote:
  • 4 year's later , still the same issue

Just realized you bumped this. Don't do that.

Message 22 of 24 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jan 19, 2014

Lukashhh wrote:
  • 4 year's later , still the same issue

Maybe just buy PSN cards? 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 23 of 24 (365 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 20, 2014

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Maybe just buy PSN cards? 

No psn card's for israeli region , and no paypal, my credit card worke'd fine 2 week's ago on playstation store, snice then just geting this invaild card error.

Edit: As this thread has been necrobumped, it shall now be locked.

- Hot-Shocolate

Message 24 of 24 (357 Views)
0 Likes