Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 29 2010
By: PCTechNerd Lombax Warrior 125 posts

Sony's AVS, and the frustrations that follow...

23 replies 670 views Edited Jun 29, 2010

Hello Everyone,

(FYI there is a glossary at the bottom of this post defining acronyms used)

First a little background.  For the past 3 years I have been employed by a credit card processor doing technical support on credit card terminals.  I know exactly how cards process, what are requirements, and what aren't requirements.  I'm completely versed in PCI-DSS and have single handedly implemented full PCI-DSS compliance at the processor level (which is way more strict then the merchant level, i.e. Sony).

Like many others before me, I ran into issues trying to add my credit card to my PSN account as a payment option.  Try as I might, it just wouldn't accept what I put in.  I called my bank, verified every piece of information line for line (including case sensitivity and space count), and it still wouldn't accept it.  I even went to the bank, had them modify my CAD (same address, just a different way of typing it) just to make sure that the old CAD didn't have an error during transmission when it was submitted to the 3rd party AVS companies.  It still wouldn't take my card.  I called Sony, and spoke with a CS agent, who went over some troubleshooting steps with me, and her end answer was "you did everything exactly as you should".  

So here I am, with a perfectly good check card, that can't be used with the PSN.  

But here's the kicker.......AVS IS IN NO WAY REQUIRED FOR A TRANSACTION TO BE APPROVED!  It's an added level of security that is implemented mainly for high risk merchants (like over the phone purchases, catalog purchases, online purchases, and anywhere else where the card isn't present for 40% or more of a merchant's transactions), and they're not even required to use it.  They're motivated to use AVS, because if they don't, the transaction in question will cost them a little more.

There are 2 main verifiers used for key entered transactions (card not swiped).  The first is AVS, and the second is CVV2.  Once again though, neither of these are REQUIRED for a transaction to go through.

You can see this is true when you try to enter your card info in and it gets rejected by Sony.  check your bank account, and you will see a $1.00 pre-auth.  If the AVS was a requirement the pre-auth wouldn't be there, as the back end network would decline the transaction.  The transaction is going through, but the process is being rejected by Sony. 

With such a long winded post, is there a point?  I think there is.  Sony really should find a nice middle ground when it comes to proper PCI-DSS and convenience for their customer.  There has been tons of topics on the "invalid card" error and much frustration has arose from it, but the simple fact is that it's not an error caused by invalid card information.  It's an error caused by Sony jumping the shark on AVS security.

And here's to hoping it gets fixed.........

Glossary:

AVS -- Address Verification Service.  A security step used to verify the address associated with the credit card in question.  AVS is not required to process a transaction, and is only used as an added security step.  Online and other high risk merchants use AVS so their transaction doesn't downgrade (essentially costing the merchant more money per transaction)

PCI-DSS -- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.  The security standards set by Visa/Mastercard/American Express/Discover that govern what is and isn't allowed in reference to how a merchant handles any part of a credit card transaction.

CAD -- Card Address.  The address that is associated with the credit card.  This can be different then the billing address the bank has on file, but in most cases is the same.  This is the address that is submitted to 3rd party AVS companies.

CVV2 -- the 3 digit code on the back of the card

Pre-Auth --  When a merchant gets an authorization for a transaction (i.e. puts the money to the side and holds it)

Message 1 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: Sony's AVS, and the frustrations that follow...

Jul 1, 2010

Thank you for sharing us your experiment. As a one of many who facing a "invalid card" problem after using my Entropay card

For more than 40 items purchased I feel bad with this AVS check. And can't see the benefit if there are other security checking

System Sony can used with not causing problems to PSN users. As you said I hope they fixed it. This is all I can do. Thank you!

Message 2 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 12, 2010
Yep. same issue here. I don´t understand why Sony doesn´t try to fix this problem. they are loosing money
Message 3 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Aug 9, 2010

I have experienced this very same problem, and after speaking with a customer service agent and then the agent's supervisor, they told me that the it isn't Sony's problem, and "they aren't planning on doing anything to change it." WOW! They told me that I could always get in my car and drive up through all that traffic all the way up to the Mall to get to Gamestop and purchase one of their gift cards, they told me that would definitely work. The customer service agents didn't say it in words, but they were very telling about how Sony wants the process to work or I should say not work. Sony wants to get out of dealing with credit card companies to eliminate the workers they employ to deal with them. It's all about corporate greed. Sony is deliberately locking out a large number of valued customers so that they can justify why they are firing people from their credit department., LAYOFFS AT SONY!

Message 4 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 11, 2010

It started for me like a week ago.. i do not know why ,... i've even try several different credit cards (by the way i tried my friends credit card.. she also has a psn id .. and since i tried using it on my account, now her credit card doesnt work for her own account.. this is just unbelievable its like a virus that spreads..... i tried adding funds in the ps3 in the computer, and still dont work... i called sony like 3 times they all suggested to re-check the billing information ... but i know that my billing information is fine because ... 1st it say's update complete everytime i put it in... and 2nd because everytime i tried to add funds .. or buy something... it charges me a $1 in my bank account..........they also suggested buying psn cards... but come on how unconfortable is that.... plus how stupid is having a psn account and not beign able to use a credit card....(for godsake!!!!) pleasee let me know if someone found the fix yet....

Message 5 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Aug 11, 2010

Pipe1226 wrote:

It started for me like a week ago.. i do not know why ,... i've even try several different credit cards (by the way i tried my friends credit card.. she also has a psn id .. and since i tried using it on my account, now her credit card doesnt work for her own account.. this is just unbelievable its like a virus that spreads..... i tried adding funds in the ps3 in the computer, and still dont work... i called sony like 3 times they all suggested to re-check the billing information ... but i know that my billing information is fine because ... 1st it say's update complete everytime i put it in... and 2nd because everytime i tried to add funds .. or buy something... it charges me a $1 in my bank account..........they also suggested buying psn cards... but come on how unconfortable is that.... plus how stupid is having a psn account and not beign able to use a credit card....(for godsake!!!!) pleasee let me know if someone found the fix yet....

There is no "fix" to find; the problem is on Sony's end, there is nothing we can do but continue to complain.

Message 6 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 12, 2010

In June my credit card (which doesn't expire for a long time and I haven't moved or changed my phone number) worked just fine to add funds to my PSN wallet. 

After I updated with the latest patch - it doesn't work.  I've emailed customer service (equally as useless...they just promote that stupid PSN card) and they act like I am the only one having this problem.  I've deleted the billing information and re-added it to no avail.  My bank DOES use AVS (address verification system) so that isn't the problem. 

Typical of EVERYTHING Sony...customer service is poor and I don't expect a fix anytime soon (in fact, only when customers start actually leaving and not logging in or buying product does Sony usually decide to fix things).

Message 7 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 22, 2010

i am so mad at Sony right now, it isn't even funny.

I will get my revenge.

Every chance I get, I will mangle a Sony product that I see in a store.  Whether it's using crazy glue to lock up the moving parts or doing some other act of subtle sabotage - I will make sure that Sony will pay (not being able to sell their defective product!) some how or some way - this will cost them. 

This is the only way that I will be able to sleep - some justice needs to be done for their deliberate ignorance.

Message 8 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Aug 22, 2010

monterey1683 wrote:

i am so mad at Sony right now, it isn't even funny.

I will get my revenge.

Every chance I get, I will mangle a Sony product that I see in a store.  Whether it's using crazy glue to lock up the moving parts or doing some other act of subtle sabotage - I will make sure that Sony will pay (not being able to sell their defective product!) some how or some way - this will cost them. 

This is the only way that I will be able to sleep - some justice needs to be done for their deliberate ignorance.

Make sure you carry a comfortable pillow around with you, you don't get one in the slammer.

Message 9 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Sep 9, 2010

sigh... sony is so crap..........

we're like trying to PAY THEM MONEY

yet they reject our credit card... what kind of screwed up policy is that? how'd they not go bankrupt so far is byond my imagination....

Message 10 of 24 (670 Views)
0 Likes