Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 01 2012
By: Foxhound1979 First Son 7 posts

Sony phone agent tells me that I am on my own -_-. Backup data issue

15 replies 359 views Edited Nov 1, 2012

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my PS3 slim HDD to a 1TB HDD. Of course before I physically updated the HDD I backed up my data via the back up utility in the PS3.

After the back up was complete I transfered it to my laptop. I tne proceeded to install the 1TB HDD into my PS3 and removed the 320GB HDD. I Then reformatted the 320GB HDD to FAT32 and transfered the back up files in it. I have the 320GB HDD in a self powering enclosure. When I connect it to the PS3 the 320GB HDD (Now acting as an external HDD) does get detected but when I select the option to restore backup I get "There is no backup". I called Sony about this and to see if anyone else has had this issue. After being put on hold for a fee minutes the help I was offere or advice is that "I am sorry". "You're on your own". Apparently once I upgrade my HDD I am on my own and If I further interpret this "on my own" statement is that we're allowed to upgrade the HDD but if something were to go wrong Sony has no help to offer. I am sure that I am not the only one that this has happened to and this is not the fisrt time that I have upgraded my HDD and was able to restore my backup successfuly.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (359 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Re: Sony phone agent tells me that I am on my own -_-. Backup data issue

Nov 1, 2012

Does the 320GB HDD even show up on the PS3?  On the Music, Photo, Video or Game tabs of the XMB, does it show that an external device is even connected?  Making sure of course that nothing else is connected but your 320GB HDD...

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (354 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8085 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 1, 2012

The PS3 is looking for the backup data in a specific folder (PS3\EXPORT\BACKUP\).  If the folder structure is not there, then the PS3 won't be able to find it.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (340 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Yes

Nov 1, 2012

Yes it shows under evrythingin the XBM

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (320 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 1, 2012

I thought I may have screwed up the folder set up so I looked it up. It was right the whole time. (PS3\EXPORT\BACKUP\).. My frined  and I have a theory that when I made the back up the PS3 was on 4.30 but now the 1TB in on 4.31. The difference in FW is causing the conflict?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7556 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 1, 2012

Difference in F/W? Shouldn't be.

I updated to 4.30 as I was swapping out an 80GB for a 750GB hard disk. I used 4.25 to create the backup data.

Out of curiosity, why did you move the data from the original hard disk to your laptop, then moved it to a separate, different hard disk? Sounds kind of unnecessary for me, and an opportunity for files to get mangled in transit.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (285 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 1, 2012

I did it out of necessity. I did not have an external HDD that was big enough to use to back up my data.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7556 posts

Nov 1, 2012

Foxhound1979 wrote:

I did it out of necessity. I did not have an external HDD that was big enough to use to back up my data.

Wha?

How did you back it up in the first place? Did you use the System Backup Tool (in settings) or the Save Data Management Tool (in the Saves List)?

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (257 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24691 posts

Nov 1, 2012

Foxhound1979 wrote:

I thought I may have screwed up the folder set up so I looked it up. It was right the whole time. (PS3\EXPORT\BACKUP\).. My frined  and I have a theory that when I made the back up the PS3 was on 4.30 but now the 1TB in on 4.31. The difference in FW is causing the conflict?

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. You need to back up your data to an external hard drive formatted to the FAT32 file system. A Windows based laptop is NTFS. The PS3 can't read it because it doesn't recognize it. This isn't "an issue". In short, you're trying to do something that it wasn't designed to do, and isn't capable of doing. 

Sorry, but you really are on your own with this one. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Nov 1, 2012
_
so im interested, what options do i have to back everything up? what could i use?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (210 Views)
0 Likes