Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 14 2013
By: Wakefulness I Only Post Everything 1306 posts

Sony now owns a huge chunk of Mobage (DeNA's mobile gaming platform).

5 replies 355 views Edited Jan 14, 2013

I thought I would share this here since it might effect Sony's mobile strategy (including PSM),

Sony Corp now directly owns 11.75% of DeNA stock, making them the second biggest shareholder (after DeNA founder Tomoko Namba with 13.09%) of the company that runs Japanese mobile social network Mobage, according to a financial report submitted to the Kanto financial affairs bureau on January 11, the Nihon Keizai Shinbun reports.

. . . According to a story from August 2012 that  The Next Web wrote, Sony’s move to fully acquire the then-partially-owned subsidiary So-net Entertainment and delist its shares was to strengthen Sony’s network business, especially in the “key opportunities of music, pictures and games, and mobile products”.

Other reasons for the move also included to “advance the pursuit of cloud services and interactive entertainment experiences in Japan and Asia”, and that it would allow the two companies (Sony Corp and So-net) to cooperate “from the initial stage of development of products and services” in order to improve mobile devices and networking equipment. All as part of a plan to bring in new customers, and to revitalise Sony’s electronics business, The Next Web said.

Does this mean that Sony’s direct control of its 11.75% stake in DeNA will translate to significant strategy changes to Sony’s gaming businesses?

[Full Story Here]

Do any of you have any idea what Sony might want with DeNA? 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (355 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6968 posts

Re: Sony now owns a huge chunk of Mobage (DeNA's mobile gaming platform).

Jan 17, 2013

i have no idea, i didnt even know sony had money invested in DeNa lol 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Jan 17, 2013

This is great news.

So they now have strings to pull in DeNA which owns mobage, its social and gaming arm for android and ios. Remember Gaikai?

Sony is building up something and i'm excited for it!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (309 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 17, 2013

remanutd5 wrote:

i have no idea, i didnt even know sony had money invested in DeNa lol 

Yep. This past December, Sony fully acquired a company called So-Net and with it became DeNA's second largest shareholder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeNA

Since I lack business sense, I have hard time knowing what a lot of this means or what it implies.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (303 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 17, 2013

Mananambal wrote:

This is great news.

So they now have strings to pull in DeNA which owns mobage, its social and gaming arm for android and ios. Remember Gaikai?

Sony is building up something and i'm excited for it!

Hold on there buddy, Sony have net let out a press release about anything DeNA business related (much less Mobage).

I think we should wait and see what happens of this over the next month or two. Like I wrote before, Sony just barely bought So-Net (this recent December) so you might need another few days, weeks, or month to sort the rest of the stuff out.

I mean, I guess nothing is stopping Sony reps from showing up at Mobage but it would be nothing more than a meet a great. Erm, I think.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Feb 12, 2013

Yes. there aren't any press release yet. Maybe on the 20th? haha!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (202 Views)
0 Likes