Big Daddy
16824 posts

Re: Sony needs more exclusives with or near PS4 launch

Apr 2, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

More importantly, you don't want to release a killer game for a system that nobody has.

You do if you want to sell consoles.

This is such backwards thinking, why buy the console if it has no killer games?

You need to spend money to make money.

Ever heard of strategic planning? Pacing yourself? How about the fact that this isn't some "race" where there is no finish.... this is an industry that depends on endurance, longevity.

You don't want to do an endurance race by sprinting the first 1/4 mile with all of your strength/energy and put a massive lead on everyone when you still have 10miles to go.... you wouldn't get anywhere close to getting your "second wind". You end up walking for the next few miles before you get your strength up to start running/jogging again and by then you're way behind everyone.

You don't put all your nuts in one basket.... Like every console that has EVER released.... the good games start rolling in at about year 2-3 of the consoles release. Not to say that the first year is crap but thats more of a opinion.

You also have to consider that some developers CANT just come up with some BA game and hope it continues to sell for years and years before they come up with another "system seller". Leave that to the developers who are known for their AAA titles to sell the system.

There is not enough information as to what are going to be launch titles. The Feb20th conference was nothing but a "look what we're working on" event and not one has anyone said "this is a launch title"....

Most of the more important information is going to be made at E3, like price, exact launch date, launch titles, more functionality information, expanded information on Gaikai, will there be one console or two with hdd of differing capacities etc etc...

Furiously Chaosing
Message 21 of 32 (102 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Apr 2, 2013

Beastingonu247 wrote:

Does anyone see a potential Wii-u like problem here?

definetly not a Wii U like problem - Sony will have 3rd party support, where as in 2 years, Nintendo will likely have little 3rd party support

Message 22 of 32 (96 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28529 posts

Apr 2, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

More importantly, you don't want to release a killer game for a system that nobody has.

And this is why "gamers" shouldn't be giving business advice to anyone.

Message 23 of 32 (83 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

If Uncharted 4 goes out at launch, people who want to play it will have to buy a new console and the title, around..... idk $300? Not everybody can affor that, so while a good amount of copies would be sold, they'll have to wait for the rest of the gaming population to catch up. Probably a year to reach full expectations.

If U4 comes out after launch, you buy it after having bought a PS4.......$60-70. You assure there is a decent amount of demand, the game sells a lot and fast. Good Business.

Message 24 of 32 (76 Views)
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Arkthur_us wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

If Uncharted 4 goes out at launch, people who want to play it will have to buy a new console and the title, around..... idk $300? Not everybody can affor that, so while a good amount of copies would be sold, they'll have to wait for the rest of the gaming population to catch up. Probably a year to reach full expectations.

If U4 comes out after launch, you buy it after having bought a PS4.......$60-70. You assure there is a decent amount of demand, the game sells a lot and fast. Good Business.

It would still sell less on the PS4 than the PS3 in the community! Why would the gods at Sony try to sell very few copies of their best franchise at launch? It is best to have a few solid ones and then allow more multi-platform games to come and slowly transition the development over.

-Great Prophet of Sony
Message 25 of 32 (75 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Apr 3, 2013
^ Erm.....thats kinda what I meant.
Message 26 of 32 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2013

Arkthur_us wrote:
^ Erm.....thats kinda what I meant.

I played off yours, but it came off as attacking your point. You made a good point in the community.

-Great Prophet of Sony
Message 27 of 32 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
426 posts

Apr 3, 2013
The way you guys are talking no developers are gonna want to release a game at launch because there will not be enough money to go around. The fact of the matter is this, when PS3 came out it had something that the PS4 will not have ," though I hope Sony changes there mind", the PS3 had a slow start yes but it still sold for two very important reasons 1. backwards compatibility , we were able to play the games we already owned.2 The PS3 introduced blu-ray. Now we all know PS4 will have blu-ray, but it will not introduce anything new or play old games, so there has to be a lot of launch titles whether they like it or not , what do they expect us to do? spend $500.00 dollars and then wait for games? What is the point in keeping the PS3? so we can buy the same games twice? I already know what the nay sayers are going to say in response to this post and I do not care, I speak for all gamers when I say " I would rather pay $600.00 dollars for a PS4 that has backwards compatibility", they can put all those share features in the garbage, I already have a laptop that does all those things. I do not care how cheaper the PS4 will be I do not need all those share features.
[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/cb765"][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png[/IMG][/URL]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png
Message 28 of 32 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2013

Playstation 4 doesn't have backwards compatability because of something to do with it's cell processor or some other sort of processor, correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I believe "Sony" stated at their Playstation 4 announcement. However, in the future everything will come to the Playstation 4, including having everything as a digital download. Which was also stated at the Playstation 4 announcement.

Now, you must also think rationally here. You won't have to rebuy the games you already purchased through the PSN when their "cloud" storage comes into play, though within a timeframe that only time will tell. Besides, downloadable Playstation 3 games will (I believe) be released on the Ps4 through the PSN store when the "cloud" does become reality. Which, like I said, you probably won't have to repurchase. Even if you would have to, you don't have to. Just play them on your Ps3. 

As for your disc copies... Here's a solution; keepyour Ps3. Simple. Though it would be smart to do so whether or not you get a Ps4 right away. Besides, no one's forcing you to spend money you don't want to.

There are many great things that will come to the Ps4: Games and whole new features; it will be a great improvement and a great step forward. I mean, just the "new stuff" alone (especially as a Playstation fan) will be well-worth it right off the bat and within months of it's primary release. Everything else will be "gravy on top"... And might I say, A LOT of it. 

If you don't know what the new features and games that will be released on the Ps4, then look it up on the net. Which I highly suggest using IGN. Though know this. What Son'y needs to do is essentially do their very best to be the best for years and years to come. So, not everything you want, mainly games, will be released straight away. Be realistic. That goes with everything and even our very own lives.

As we live on, and thinking optomistically here, we can do great things and improve over the course of our lives. So think. If we were to have done everything great in one shot, what is there for the rest of our lives? It would just be a temporary time of glory rather than living out glory forever. Samething with Sony's next gen console. Just like with any business, it's comes down to what you can do to survive; what you can do to have an everlasting glory... And of course, money. 

Sony needs to do what they can to be in the spotlight for the whole life of the Ps4. To do so, they must take things step by step. Otherwise, things will go downhill very quickly. Now, for those who want many more great games released straight away, that would be a horrible mistake. You will be overwhelmed and will come back saying, "It's too much straight away in so little time."

By having a few well-known games being available upon release, along with many other of Ps4's great features and completely new games, will bring in customers as it is. Popularity will go up as more and more people purchase the console... And more games and even features will be released as time goes on. 

It's the way of all businesses and the way of life. Everything cannot and should not be done all at once. You are more efficient when you take things step by step and doing your very best step by step.

I am almost, well actually... I'm completely sure that we will come to love the Playstation 4, whether it's at first or later on. Though, I sure it will be awesome upon it's released, especially better than the Ps3 when it was first released. The money and time we will eventually put into the console will be well-worth it. It will all be awesome. Just you wait. Smiley Happy

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Message 29 of 32 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Apr 3, 2013

cb765 wrote:
The way you guys are talking no developers are gonna want to release a game at launch because there will not be enough money to go around.
Money from who? And there's plenty of money to go around... just not everyone is going to willingly spend money until they get a better grasp of the lineup and the consoles overall functionality and experience.
The fact of the matter is this, when PS3 came out it had something that the PS4 will not have ," though I hope Sony changes there mind", the PS3 had a slow start yes but it still sold for two very important reasons 1. backwards compatibility , we were able to play the games we already owned.2 The PS3 introduced blu-ray.
No, that is not the fact of the matter. 
Now we all know PS4 will have blu-ray, but it will not introduce anything new or play old games, so there has to be a lot of launch titles whether they like it or not , what do they expect us to do? spend $500.00 dollars and then wait for games?
Yes. Thats exactly what happened when the PS2 launched.... you're talking as if the PS4 launch is going to be stagnant before it ever has a chance.

What is the point in keeping the PS3? so we can buy the same games twice?
Ahem, the point of keeping your PS3 is so that you can CONTINUE TO PLAY PS3 GAMES.... are you that dense? 
And let me get in on a little secret.... when SOME games are being develope for the PS3 as well as the PS4, this means that SOME PEOPLE WHO DON"T HAVE A PS4, can still play NEW GAMES without the supply of new games becoming stagnant. Remember the PS3's launch? There were many PS3 games that were also developed for the PS2 so that some people who couldn't afford a PS3 can still play new games... Oh, and the same thing happened for the PS1 when the PS2 launched.... do you see the pattern here? While the selection of cross-generation games were small... that still staved of time for those who needed to save money to buy the next-gen console of the time.
I already know what the nay sayers are going to say in response to this post and I do not care, I speak for all gamers when I say " I would rather pay $600.00 dollars for a PS4 that has backwards compatibility",
With that sort of statement... I sincerely hope that you stop posting. Because at this point, the majority of your posts have been the same damned thing over and over. 
And again.... why would Sony spend more money and time trying to meld together two completely different computer architectures to try and work together if the legacy hardware is still going to be bought and sold for a least another 4 years? KEEP YOUR PS3 and you want have to worry about B/C.... Seriously... how do you NOT get it?
they can put all those share features in the garbage, I already have a laptop that does all those things. I do not care how cheaper the PS4 will be I do not need all those share features.
Its called a FEATURE.... that means its something that is optional aka YOU DONT HAVE TO USE IT.

OBVIOUSLY, the ranting and raving you have done the past few days about how the PS4 is crap and such, clearly represents that you won't be getting a PS4... so why argue about something that you have no vested interest in? Thats seriously and honestly puzzling. Its as if you are finding an excuse for an uphill battle you already know you can't win.

The solution is simple. Don't buy the PS4, and Keep your thoughts to yourself about this subject or go on another forum and do so.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 30 of 32 (54 Views)
0 Likes