Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Re: Sony lays off 10k, Vita sells only 125k units in March, price drop looming

Apr 17, 2012

Just for you information, I drive my Ferrari to and from work everyday rain or shine. On the other hand I do show off my Vita

Message 21 of 22 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Re: Sony lays off 10k, Vita sells only 125k units in March, price drop looming

Apr 17, 2012

I have seen a few of these articles as well. Just this morning on N4G or Kotaku (can't remember which), they gave some more detail on Sony's losses. Sony attributes it to tax credits not being able to be written off anymore.

Personally, I can't help but think that Sony isn't managing their company nearly as well as they could be. Things like customer satisfaction, price structures being too steep, and failure to keep the "fan base" informed, engaged, and happy by quickly addressing problems they are having must be taking a toll, and have to be playing into the losses. Especially with the economy in the shape it's been in - people have less disposable income, and Sony is dropping the ball on giving it's customers as much of a reason to spend their money with them. Even with advertising - the Vita could have had a much better advertising campaign, IMO, but most people I talk to don't even really know or care anything about the Vita. If they want it to sell well, they need to make sure the general public know about it, know what it can do, and that they are impressed with what it already has in the way of games and apps, and that they are excited about what is coming down the line. To me, it seems like Sony is just "coasting", letting gaming sites and Vita owners do a lot of their advertising for them.

Given the relatively high cost of the Vita, they need to be sure people feel like they are getting a lot of value for their money. I have seen several people that come to forums to get input from current owners, only to post that they're glad they didn't buy one yet, since Sony isn't supporting it nearly as well as they could and arguably should be so far.

I know it's still early in its lifespan, but if Sony wants to grab dollars away from the 3DS, smartphones, and tablets, they need to be more aggressively marketing the Vita and showing the public that the Vita provides an experience that offers something that other devices don't have, or showing off it's strengths better so those who already have another device see a reason to also invest in a Vita, so they can have that "handheld home console-like experience" they like to keep mentioning.

Message 22 of 22 (25 Views)
0 Likes