Wastelander
680 posts

Re: Sony lacks a big MP game

Feb 7, 2014
So Gran Turismo isn't a big MP game? Or do you want something with guns in it that dude-bros talk **bleep** to each other in?
Message 81 of 132 (150 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Feb 7, 2014

planetside 2

Message 82 of 132 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6016 posts

Feb 7, 2014

hjason1 wrote:

First of all there is nothing wrong with multiplayer itself, as some have stated it creates longevity of game play..

But there is a down fall to having multiplayer on games.

And that is since it is on the disc they shorten the single player story mode..

Which to me is ridiculous because games used to be 15-30 hours in story mode...

Its crazy how they added multiplayer and the story mode went to 4-9 hours...

More if you do side quests, but side quests aren't the game they are something the dev threw in because they were lazy...

Disc have gotten bigger so that's not the reason for short campaigns. The fact that companies are making a killing off of DLC is why multiplayer is major part to most games now. A game cost 60 bucks so if all they did was sell the game as is with only a campaign that's all they make. With DLC and everything else they try to sell you to go along with it they can easily get another 60+ out of the average person. Everything's about money. Multiplayer is cheaper to make than adding more to a story line which is why most campaigns are short and have limited environments.

Message 83 of 132 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3071 posts

Feb 7, 2014

Winscar_Shinobi knows what's up.

I never saw Gears as a big deal. It seemed to be about on Uncharted's level. But then again, I wouldn't know too much about that. Last I heard, the newest Gears of War was a disappointment. Titanfall isn't an exclusive. Halo is dying, which I'll get into later. There are quite a few people defecting from XBOX to PlayStation this time around, one reason being a better/varied game selection. With the steam picked up by the PS4, Sony does have a decent opportunity to get that "big" MP game out. 

As others have stated, the PlayStation audience is more varied and global than the XBOX audience. In addition, PlayStation has more variety in its "good" exclusives, causing the population to be spread out. XBOX has a smaller amount, leading to the few "good" exclusives having a higher player count. 

Trioptical put it well: "That's what I see as the prime difference: 360's audience of core gamers in a lot more homogenized than the PS3's. The PS3 audience doesn't seem to all gravitate to one type of game, much less one game. So instead of jumbo shooter audiences like on Halo, you get smaller groups that like Uncharted MP or Warhawk or MAG, or The Last of Us MP, or CoD, or Battlefield."

Of course, proper marketing and sticking with a good core formula are two other major factors. Trying to change that successful core formula in an attempt to "be more accessible" and capture a wider audience usually leads to failure. The only series I can think of that saw success in trying to capture the CoD crowd was Battlefield, and EA's dirty marketing had a lot to do with that. 

Resistance: Fall of Man was great, Resistance could have been on Halo's level. Unfortunately, Insomniac/Sony decided to change the core formula. 

SOCOM was doing great, until they tried to change the formula with SOCOM 4. 

MAG was a great game and could have been bigger, but it wasn't marketed well, and Sony/Zipper neglected it because of SOCOM 4. I recall reading that it was more of a "test" than an actual game in the eyes of Sony/Zipper.

Trying to change the formula will only **bleep** off the core fans. Retaining that "wider audience" is unlikely; if a person craves CoD/BF, they'll play CoD/BF.

Halo did really well for quite some time. Then it tried to be more like CoD, and now Halo is dying.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 84 of 132 (130 Views)
Wastelander
680 posts

Feb 7, 2014
That is regrettable. Halo was a positive force in the industry.
Message 85 of 132 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3071 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2014

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
The fact that people think titanfall isn't going to do well because its 6vs6 and its at 720p and all this crap are extremely ignorant. If the game is advertised right and looks like fun, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BUY IT. Its a refreshing take on the fps genre and people are going to buy it. You people only hate on the game because its an xbox exclusive had they announced a ps3/ps4 version to you'd be lining up on launch day

Assuming Titanfall will fail solely because it only has 6v6 and runs at 720p is kinda silly, I agree. I also agree that with proper marketing, it will garner a decent amount of sales. And while I wouldn't doubt that some people are against Titanfall just because of console war allegiances, there's plenty of reason to not see it as this big deal people are making it out to be.

I don't see how it's "refreshing take on the FPS genre". From the footage I've seen, it doesn't look very special. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll sell decently, but it just looks like another vapid shooter. I don't see it being this "Call of Duty killer" or the new FPS king that it's being made out to be.

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 86 of 132 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
245 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2014

Warhawk was a fine game. It was great! I considered it a big MP game. MS only has a few exclusive that they control, and they are almost all shooters. There's a reason why the 360 was known as the "shooter's console". I know, I've had a 360 since 2006. Sony's greatest strength is in selling many exclusives in different genres. It doesn't need to overly rely on a Halo and Gears type of game.

If they can make a bigger, better Warhawk though, I will buy and play that game until the disk breaks. Halo is on the decline. To me and many others, 343i is taking Halo in a direction that I do not want it to go, and the disatisfaction is shown in the sharp drop in MP numbers. Campaig-wise, Halo 4 excelled, but the staying power (multiplayer) was screwed because they wanted to chase the CoD crowd. Halo has run its course, IMO, and Destiny will be a good replacement for it if all goes well. Gears Judgment was a disappointment to a lot of people last I checked. 

Message 87 of 132 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13101 posts

Feb 7, 2014
I like the fast paced parkour action and the addition of mechs look fun. And its not those slow, sluggish mechs they're ninja mechs and it looks like a lot of fun. If it were coming to the ps4 I'd pre-order it the day it was up for pre orders
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 88 of 132 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13101 posts

Feb 7, 2014
I also forgot to mention that the game reminds me of mw2 and that was the last cod game I really enjoyed
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 89 of 132 (109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Feb 8, 2014

Sony does not need a big MP game as the PS3 outsold the 360 and PS4 i the fastest selling system of all time and the best selling system already this generation. Halo has never sold over 10 million and Gears does not sell any better than Uncharted. MP is nothing special either way.

Message 90 of 132 (156 Views)
0 Likes