Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Sony lacks a big MP game

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2014

mastorofpuppetz wrote:

?? Everytime you post you are posting mis-information and BS. Halo sells more  then GT, and near every halo has sold more then 10 million. Not to mention Gt is a series in a big decline due to Polyphony digital mis-management. Gt6 is not selling half of what the worst selling Gt game did.

GT is not "selling" because everyone wanted it on PS4, as well as "boy ricers" would rather slap on body kits and graphics with Forza than actually RACE.

And most of GT's sales number, occur over a period of time.... just like ALL OTHER game sales figures. Over all of GT's sales, compared to Forza's overall sales.... GT still beats it out everytime. Even comparing Halo's sales figures doesn't touch GT's total sales. Doesn't matter which has been out longer or have more titles to sell.... the overall numbers for each version of each game point that more people buy Gran Turismo games than Forza and Halo.

The original GT took a little over a year to reach the sales numbers it did.... same with every Halo game.... and Halo 4 wasn't successful either compared to the sales of the previous Halo games as well. Even fanboy's of the Halo series are saying 343 Industries have ruined the game and they should have left Halo 4 as the final game. Now its simply turning into a love story with Master Chief and Cortana, really?

Sorry...... but your logic is hilariously flawed.... like always.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 121 of 132 (77 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29432 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2014

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Pointing and clicking is not a sport, was never a sport, and will never be a sport.

Its is when buckets of money are involed.

The lowest, "sanctioned" Starcraft payout I've seen was $10k. And that was on a regional level. National level is $500k-$1mil.

There are also, Warhammer tourneys, Magic: The Gathering.....

There is nothing that defines what a sport can and cannot be. Although... I'd never step foot in most of those events because you'll meet some real "winners" there....

Since we're smack dab in the middle of the Olympic games, I'd say that it's a safe bet if you don't see something being in the Olympics, then it's not a sport.

Playing slots aren't a "sport", and they pay big money. As well as poker. "Sport" is defined as an activity involving physical exertion, in which an individual or team competes against another. That's the accepted definition since Ancient Greece.

Message 122 of 132 (73 Views)
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 10, 2014
Is MLG becoming bigger every year?
Or is it just a fad?

Becasue I will be amazed if it ever makes it to the Olympics
Message 123 of 132 (70 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29432 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:
Or is it just a fad?

Trust me, it won't if the IOC want to be taken seriously.

Message 124 of 132 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 10, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Pointing and clicking is not a sport, was never a sport, and will never be a sport.

The lowest, "sanctioned" Starcraft payout I've seen was $10k. And that was on a regional level. National level is $500k-$1mil.

There is nothing that defines what a sport can and cannot be. Although... I'd never step foot in most of those events because you'll meet some real "winners" there....

Since we're smack dab in the middle of the Olympic games, I'd say that it's a safe bet if you don't see something being in the Olympics, then it's not a sport.

Because rhytmic ribbon dancing is a sport :/

There are many events in the Olympic's that are borderline stupid. 

The way I see it, if any person or group of people from anywhere in the world can participate and compete..... its a sport.
Jamaica had a bob-sled team for crying out loud.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 125 of 132 (66 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29432 posts

Feb 10, 2014

gR3yGh051 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:

The way I see it, if any person or group of people from anywhere in the world can participate and compete..... its a sport.

To quaify as a sport, there has to be an international governing body, and then it has to be voted on by the IOC. There's no international governing body for video games, and who in their right mind on the IOC board is going to vote for video games, and not get laughed at?

I agree to a point that there some things in the Olympics that are questionable. Honestly, this whole idea of video games being in the Olympics is absolutely laughable. It's a group of people who want to legitimize the medium, and they really shouldn't.

Message 126 of 132 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 10, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:
Or is it just a fad?

Its not getting any bigger IMO.

And MLG is simply a sanctioning body of competitive gaming. IOC have actually considered some games to become a recognized Olympic event.

Similar to NBA.... NBA is not a "game".... Basketball is the game, the NBA is the governing body of North America's Basketball games.

Similarly, MLG is not being considered as an Olympic event.... the GAMES that are played within the MLG sphere are whats being considered.

And video games IMO, have a LONG way to go before the IOC actually make a ruling. I give it another 8 years or more.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 127 of 132 (63 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29432 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2014

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Pinktoe_ wrote:
Or is it just a fad?

And MLG is simply a sanctioning body of competitive gaming. IOC have actually considered some games to become a recognized Olympic event.

Similar to NBA.... NBA is not a "game".... Basketball is the game, the NBA is the governing body of North America's Basketball games.

Similarly, MLG is not being considered as an Olympic event.... the GAMES that are played within the MLG sphere are whats being considered.

And video games IMO, have a LONG way to go before the IOC actually make a ruling. I give it another 8 years or more.

FIBA is the governing body that is recognized by the IOC. They play under international rules which have differences from the NBA, right down to the size of the ball.

http://www.fiba.com/

Major Leauge Gaming is not a sanctioning body, beause it's owned by a private company. Many Olympic sports are derived from military disciplines. Track and field events, the biathalon, cross country skiing, equestrian events, etc.

I doubt even in eight years time. I'd say it's chances are being an Olympic event are about as equal as an asteroid hitting Times Square at rush hour. People in the sports world are very critical of the IOC to begin with. If they actually allow video games in the Olympics, they'd be a laughing stock.

Message 128 of 132 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 10, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:

To quaify as a sport, there has to be an international governing body, and then it has to be voted on by the IOC. There's no international governing body for video games, and who in their right mind on the IOC board is going to vote for video games, and not get laughed at?

I agree to a point that there some things in the Olympics that are questionable. Honestly, this whole idea of video games being in the Olympics is absolutely laughable. It's a group of people who want to legitimize the medium, and they really shouldn't.

Yet, the very defintion of "sport" is any activity in which an individual or team compete against others for entertainment.
In the IOC's definition, its only about sports that entail both physical and mental fortitude.

You're right in that there is no international governing body for video games..... But thats slowly coming. Every major country in the world has their own version of MLG. Its only a matter of time (maybe a decade or more) before someone makes the bright idea to involve all of those countries for their own International gaming league.

I personally hope not.... because that is potentially very dangerous to the gaming industry itself.

I'm only arguing, that if or when it happens.... theres nothing that anyone will say different if they decide it so.

I don't think that there are people who WANT video games to be an olympic event. I just think they want to legitimize the simple fact that there is money to be made from competitive gaming..... Even to this day, my 50year dad, and 45 year old mom believe it to be a waste of time.... And they'll never believe that there are people on youtube who are making a decent living by playing video games, and some making 6figure incomes by playing competitively. To some of those, they've turned it into a career path.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 129 of 132 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 10, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Pinktoe_ wrote:
Or is it just a fad?

FIBA is the governing body that is recognized by the IOC. They play under international rules which have differences from the NBA, right down to the size of the ball.

http://www.fiba.com/

Major Leauge Gaming is not a sanctioning body, beause it's owned by a private company. Many Olympic sports are derived from military disciplines. Track and field events, the biathalon, cross country skiing, equestrian events, etc.

I doubt even in eight years time. I'd say it's chances are being an Olympic event are about as equal as an asteroid hitting Times Square at rush hour. People in the sports world are very critical of the IOC to begin with. If they actually allow video games in the Olympics, they'd be a laughing stock.

I wouldn't doubt it. The IOC have done very questionable things in the past.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 130 of 132 (173 Views)
0 Likes