Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: Sony going downhill?

Aug 3, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

johngie wrote:
I think the only thing we can do is support them as they try to build momentum for the Vita, and continue buying the AAA exclusives they give us.

Well, the thing that we can't control is the foreign exchanges. The exchange rate is what's really kiling them. Take a look at what's happening in Greece with the Euro Zone crisis. The industry doesn't exist in a vacuum. Companies like Ford are losing money in Europe, and there's still a lot of instability in the U.S. 

I realize this, but to be fair, I was answering the OP's question of "What can we general merchandise consumers do to help Sony?" and not "Let's come up with realistic, global business solutions to get Sony out of their rut."

Message 11 of 15 (185 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

Aug 3, 2012

johngie wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

johngie wrote:
I think the only thing we can do is support them as they try to build momentum for the Vita, and continue buying the AAA exclusives they give us.

Well, the thing that we can't control is the foreign exchanges. The exchange rate is what's really kiling them. Take a look at what's happening in Greece with the Euro Zone crisis. The industry doesn't exist in a vacuum. Companies like Ford are losing money in Europe, and there's still a lot of instability in the U.S. 

I realize this, but to be fair, I was answering the OP's question of "What can we general merchandise consumers do to help Sony?" and not "Let's come up with realistic, global business solutions to get Sony out of their rut."

You can also go see Spider-Man. 

Message 12 of 15 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Oct 9, 2012

Wow! A business that cares about making money? Who'd a thunk it?

Listen to yourself make fun of me. 

You obviously didn't read carefully I wrote that I heard a lot that they ONLY CARE about MONEY. I didn't say that they shouldn't care about money. And I know every business cares about money that's why it's a business and it has to be a business so no revelation for me pal. You have every right to disagree but seriously why are you so negative? I mean wouldn't you rather comment with someone that you actually agree with? You act like you don't care about BC yet you follow all these forums about it including the survey to bring it back. Also your forgetting that a business has to care for it's customers to a degree or they leave. Sorry for the late replay by the way.

Message 13 of 15 (152 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

Tite278 wrote:

You obviously didn't read carefully I wrote that I heard a lot that they ONLY CARE about MONEY. I didn't say that they shouldn't care about money. And I know every business cares about money that's why it's a business and it has to be a business so no revelation for me pal. You have every right to disagree but seriously why are you so negative? I mean wouldn't you rather comment with someone that you actually agree with? You act like you don't care about BC yet you follow all these forums about it including the survey to bring it back. Also your forgetting that a business has to care for it's customers to a degree or they leave. Sorry for the late replay by the way.

I did listen to myself make fun of you, honestly it's not mean spirited, it's the absurdity of pointing out the obvious. Smiley Tongue This whole obsession with backward compatibility is, quite frankly, a fool's errand. There's this whole idea of "they would make so much money if they brought back backward compatability". In case you didn't know this, Sony doesn't make money on the console. The machine is what's known as a loss leader. They sell the machine at a low profit margin, or at no profit at all, and they make money selling things that go with it. And what goes with the PS3? Say it with me ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....

GAMES! 

That's right, to make money they need you to buy NEW games. Selling the console and then you turning around and playing your ten year old game library is essentially a LOSS for them. Putting backward compatibility back would be a money loser. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but businesses have to keep giving you NEW products. Ford still doesn't sell the Model A, and Paul McCartney has been recording new music for the last forty years. 

You can't use the excuse that there's no good games for the PS3. It just doesn't fly anymore. I can't be more matter of fact than this. I'm not saying all this to be mean, and if you actually sat down and talked to me there would be no meaness in my voice and this is what I really speak like, but this argument has long since been put to bed after five years. Backward compatibility is not coming back. If you enjoy your PS2 games, great man. However you're going to have to play them on a PS2, and there's no shame in that. 

Message 14 of 15 (142 Views)
Splicer
75 posts

Oct 9, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Tite278 wrote:

I did listen to myself make fun of you, honestly it's not mean spirited, it's the absurdity of pointing out the obvious. Smiley Tongue This whole obsession with backward compatibility is, quite frankly, a fool's errand. There's this whole idea of "they would make so much money if they brought back backward compatability". In case you didn't know this, Sony doesn't make money on the console. The machine is what's known as a loss leader. They sell the machine at a low profit margin, or at no profit at all, and they make money selling things that go with it. And what goes with the PS3? Say it with me ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....

GAMES! 

That's right, to make money they need you to buy NEW games. Selling the console and then you turning around and playing your ten year old game library is essentially a LOSS for them. Putting backward compatibility back would be a money loser. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but businesses have to keep giving you NEW products. Ford still doesn't sell the Model A, and Paul McCartney has been recording new music for the last forty years. 

You can't use the excuse that there's no good games for the PS3. It just doesn't fly anymore. I can't be more matter of fact than this. I'm not saying all this to be mean, and if you actually sat down and talked to me there would be no meaness in my voice and this is what I really speak like, but this argument has long since been put to bed after five years. Backward compatibility is not coming back. If you enjoy your PS2 games, great man. However you're going to have to play them on a PS2, and there's no shame in that. 

Very well said. Smarts with Conviction.

Sure what gamer dose not want to play games of old, but in a business sense, this has complete logic. It's understandable. I applaud you my good man

Message 15 of 15 (120 Views)
0 Likes