Aug 02 2012
By: Tite278 Monster Hunter 33 posts

Sony going downhill?

14 replies 326 views Edited Aug 2, 2012

Sony seems to be going downhill. I heard a lot they only care about money and not their customers. They won't bring back backwards compatibility to the ps3, playstation 4 might not be backwards compatible, people say **bleep** games have been coming out and Sony is losing money. I wonder what do you people as gamers feel we could do to help Sony so we could have better games and consoles so we can be proactive in what we love to keep it good.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Re: Sony going downhill?

Aug 2, 2012
Every company is losing money. No one knows whether or not the PS4 will be BC or not.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (321 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10492 posts

Aug 2, 2012

Backwards compatibility was cut from the PlayStation 3 due to higher manufacturing costs at the time. That meant a higher sale price, which as we know was unattractive to many consumers. When the $299 price drop hit in 2009, this was a highly agreeable move for the home entertainment enthusiast.

PlayStation 3 has since been knocked down another $50. Other than Sony feeling satisfied with the current price, it brings to question why we haven't gotten another major cost dump yet. The PlayStation 4 is all rumor at this point. Anything we know about it might not come true, so it's hard to speculate when you don't know where Sony will be going next.

Overall though, I'm happy where I am as a PlayStation consumer. This month will see the release of Ratchet and Clank's HD collection. That should keep my mind busy for awhile until the later points when even more appealing games are surging into next year. Titles like Beyond: Two Souls, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and The Last of Us all look impressive. It's just the wait until 2013 that's taking its time to get over here that might be bothering some people, as far as software-thirsty gamers are concerned. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (318 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Aug 2, 2012

Tite278 wrote:

Sony seems to be going downhill. I heard a lot they only care about money and not their customers. They won't bring back backwards compatibility to the ps3, playstation 4 might not be backwards compatible, people say **bleep** games have been coming out and Sony is losing money. I wonder what do you people as gamers feel we could do to help Sony so we could have better games and consoles so we can be proactive in what we love to keep it good.

The only confirmed fact is that SONY is losing money, wich is true to every company anyway xD Not every game coming out is bad, people just like to rant

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (314 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
22685 posts

Aug 2, 2012

Tite278 wrote:

Wow! A business that cares about making money? Who'd a thunk it? Time for a reality check bro; I know this is a revelation, but ALL businesses care about making money. Video games are not "different because it's video games". They're not out there to be swell guys, and to just let everyone have stuff for free. EVERY business wants to make money. Ford, Chrysler, Samsung, Apple, and even Sony. They all are trying to make a buck. 

And really bro, it's been FIVE YEARS since they cut backward compatibility. This has gone BEYOND beating a dead horse. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (297 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14277 posts

Aug 2, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Tite278 wrote:

Wow! A business that cares about making money? Who'd a thunk it? Time for a reality check bro; I know this is a revelation, but ALL businesses care about making money. Video games are not "different because it's video games". They're not out there to be swell guys, and to just let everyone have stuff for free. EVERY business wants to make money. Ford, Chrysler, Samsung, Apple, and even Sony. They all are trying to make a buck. 

And really bro, it's been FIVE YEARS since they cut backward compatibility. This has gone BEYOND beating a dead horse. 

The horse has been beaten too many times that its nothing more than the consistency of oatmeal

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (292 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
22685 posts

Aug 2, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Tite278 wrote:

The horse has been beaten too many times that its nothing more than the consistency of oatmeal

I was thinking more along these lines;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sa_steve/4344120534/lightbox/

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (289 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10394 posts

Aug 2, 2012
I think the only thing we can do is support them as they try to build momentum for the Vita, and continue buying the AAA exclusives they give us.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (285 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
22685 posts

Aug 2, 2012

johngie wrote:
I think the only thing we can do is support them as they try to build momentum for the Vita, and continue buying the AAA exclusives they give us.

Well, the thing that we can't control is the foreign exchanges. The exchange rate is what's really kiling them. Take a look at what's happening in Greece with the Euro Zone crisis. The industry doesn't exist in a vacuum. Companies like Ford are losing money in Europe, and there's still a lot of instability in the U.S. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (282 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 3, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Backwards compatibility was cut from the PlayStation 3 due to higher manufacturing costs at the time. That meant a higher sale price, which as we know was unattractive to many consumers. When the $299 price drop hit in 2009, this was a highly agreeable move for the home entertainment enthusiast.

PlayStation 3 has since been knocked down another $50. Other than Sony feeling satisfied with the current price, it brings to question why we haven't gotten another major cost dump yet. The PlayStation 4 is all rumor at this point. Anything we know about it might not come true, so it's hard to speculate when you don't know where Sony will be going next.

Overall though, I'm happy where I am as a PlayStation consumer. This month will see the release of Ratchet and Clank's HD collection. That should keep my mind busy for awhile until the later points when even more appealing games are surging into next year. Titles like Beyond: Two Souls, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and The Last of Us all look impressive. It's just the wait until 2013 that's taking its time to get over here that might be bothering some people, as far as software-thirsty gamers are concerned. :smileywink:

A lot of people believe this, but this has been shown not to be the case. It was actually the decrease cost in parts like the CPU, GPU, and Blu-Ray drive that help drive down the cost of the PS3.... 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (272 Views)
0 Likes