Jun 01 2012
By: SuperSaiyan_Goku Splicer 70 posts

Sony brings backwards compatibility to PlayStation with Gaikai deal?

7 replies 1021 views Edited Jun 1, 2012

Ok I just read this article released today Fri 01 Jun 2012:

I feel like Sony should take this time & energy to bring backwards compatiblity to PS3 rather then some streaming service that will not make near an impact that the PS3 would.

I mean why not support the most successful console ever created on your newest console it would only increase sales making the PS3 more desirable for the consumer.

There is no way your telling me that an emulator could not be created for PS3 when there's so many emulators out now for PS2 on Mac & PC computers that are by no way created to run PS2 softwre.

These emulators use features like Direct X & OpenGL to even increase the overall appearance & resolution of the games you now and love, but I'd much more rather be playing my over 250 PS2 already purchased titles on my PS3 with PSN connectability, capable through emulation.

The PSN connectability also should be available for PSone as well, now come on Sony please get on this already we need this and you need this more then you even know.

Post your comments, to let your thoughts be known on this subject...

Message 1 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Sony brings backwards compatibility to PlayStation with Gaikai deal?

Jun 1, 2012

The problem is that the PS3 archetecture  is very different from the PS2 making emulation difficult. The same was true for the X360, and the appoach they took to make Xbox games compatible would be to make a custom emulator for each of their games, which takes up a lot of time and effort. Sony would likely have to take this approach to get retail PS2 games running on current PS3, and it is just not worth it for Sony to do, especially with 1800 possible PS2 titles to emulate.

Although Microsoft intended to make all their Xbox games run on the X360, they ended up stopping at around 50% of the original titles.

I think Sony is fulfilling demand for these older titles by selling HD classics and PS2 classics in the PSN store. Making custom emulators would cost Sony money, at least making these ported games Sony will be able to profit from their production...

Message 2 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 1, 2012

My understanding is that any of the PS2 emulators out there are quite limited in what they can do and what they can play. They certainly aren't as versitle as the PS1 emulators.

IMO the window has closed in bringing PS2 BC back to the PS3. I believe consumers have moved on and would rather prefer new PS3 games. Of the HD collections that have been released, only a few of them seemed to really sell well.

But is isn't worthwhile for Sony to develop an emulator for games you already own....

Message 3 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Jun 1, 2012

this is actually just about possible and there will soon be a release but you have to do something to your console that we are not allowed to talk about here...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 4 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jun 1, 2012

OK go back and read previous post, about hacks that work already, but i'm no hacker and would never do something like this to my PS3.

But also like I stated in my first post I have PS2 emulators that work just fine, I mean there are no issues that I am having with them what so ever.

But it's not near an injoyable experience as it was on my old not working original 60GB PS3 purchased at beginning of this console generation

My PS3 60GB fat that died do to over heating got it repaired twice from Sony, I loved it so much I learned that no matter how many times I got it repaired that it would just die again shortly.

I just want my PS2 Backwards Compatibility back...

Message 5 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jun 1, 2012

My point, that was stated in article, That most PC's an Mac's archetecture are much different then the PS2 but still run the games on the emulators.

OK the multi-core argument, the same emulator that runs on a standered Macbook also runs on an 12 Core Xeon Mac Pro desktop so crazy differences are there in so many ways on Mac & PC emulators.

There are people that already have hacked there PS3 to play PS2 titles on none backwards compatible models all over the web, http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-hacks-jailbreak/how-play-ps2-games-non-backwards-compatible-ps3-11...

That's just one example.

Plus already knew it was hard to do but not impossible & the time and energy spent on streaming PS2 software would be better spent tackling this problem...

Message 6 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28842 posts

Jun 1, 2012

PS2 backward compatibility is not coming back. The reason being is that the console is a loss leader. Meaning that they don't make money on the console, and they make their money by selling things that go with it, i.e. games. If you buy a PS3 and play ten year old games, then that's essentially a loss for them.

It's been five years. Saying "Come on Sony!" over this long of a time hasn't brought PS2 backward compatibility back, and it won't now. If you really want to play PS2 games, then it would behove you to find a PS2. They're not exactly rare, and can be had cheap. There's no indignity to hooking up more than one console.

Message 7 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 1, 2012

PS3s really need the PS2 GPU on the motherboard to emulate PS2 games properly. Even though people have apparently hacked their non-BC PS3s to play PS2 games, it was quite limited in what it can run, and it apparently can run anything very well.

I'm sure that if Sony could have done a competent software only emulator, it would have been released years ago, but like I said the archetectures of the two systems are too different to make an effective emulator.

We will see what this game streaming deal is all about, but I doubt it will have anything to do with PS2 games.

As you found out Sony can't fix a 60GB PS3 since parts aren't being made for it anymore, a better option would to get it reballed repaired which lasts much longer. Places like Endless Electronics and Gophermods can do this for you...

Message 8 of 8 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes