Mar 21 2013
By: PKRFN4LIFE Lombax Warrior 108 posts

Sony Pulse Elite Edition Voice Monitoring Issue

12 replies 651 views Edited Mar 21, 2013

Just as the title says, I just bought this headset tonight and I absolutely can stand that I cannot hear my own voice in the headset during gameplay !

I feel that the Logitech F540's and Turtle Beach PX5's do a much MUCH better job of voice monitoring, I can hear what's going on in the household when wearing those even during a heavy battle. I love that if somebody rings the doorbell or my wife needs something I can still hear that even with the headset on.

I love the 540's but they only offer stereo sound and the PX5's offer awesome 7.1 simulated surround but the wireless interferes with everything in my house, so they constantly cut in and out, plus use AA batteries instead of rechargeables. 250 dollar headset and I have to replace batteries every 10 hours.....NO ! So thus I put both up for sale.

I chose the Sony Pulse Elite headset because 1. Every review I read say they are great    2. Awesome wireless with little to no interference.

So I go pick these up and am very disappointed with the voice monitoring in these, this is a MUST for me in a gaming headset and these just don't cut it. Now is there a way to improve this or am I returning these ??

Does anybody have any recommendations for a awesome headset with great monitoring and sound ?

Message 1 of 13 (651 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

Re: Sony Pulse Elite Edition Voice Monitoring Issue

Mar 21, 2013

The headsets developed by the deity that is Sony is great, but, in the community, the sidetone features are lacking. They are not very loud at all, in the community. No way to fix this problem in an otherwise smexy scrumtious device that is by Sony

-Great Prophet of Sony
Message 2 of 13 (649 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
837 posts

Mar 21, 2013

I've noticed the same problem but to be honest I can hear myself enough not to yell when the ingame/voicechat audio slider is closer to the voice chat end It's like my voice is being noise canceled. I rub my fingers next to the mic and hear them fine. I called Sony and had them make a report that the sidetone is too low. Good luck with that eh? I'm sure you know how to toggle sidetone by holding mute for a second?

One tone sidetones off. 1 beep low sidetone and 2 beeps its on high?

Message 3 of 13 (634 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 21, 2013

I quess my question is when you move the slider to the middle "lock" postion to all the way up the chat turnes off ? whats the point of moving that slider all the way up then?

Message 4 of 13 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Mar 21, 2013
I'm not so sure I would call the PX5's surround sound awesome though. It's definitely better than Pulse Surround but has also been proven that Turtle Beach headphones sound much better with all simulation turned off.
Message 5 of 13 (608 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
837 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

PKRFN4LIFE wrote:

I quess my question is when you move the slider to the middle "lock" postion to all the way up the chat turnes off ? whats the point of moving that slider all the way up then?

Exactly that to cut off hearing people talk in multiplayer games. It serves as a voice mute to avoid hearing players singing Alicia Keys lol.

Halfway is mixed half voice and game sound not off. All the way up is off.

Message 6 of 13 (592 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 22, 2013

Ehh, after playing with them for a while i returned them, could not stand the gimmicky vibration from the bass boost and the voice monitoring on them is a joke to say the least.

Picked up a pair of Turtle Beach XP400 wirless dolby 5.1 surround and could'nt be happier ! They use dual channel 2.4/5 ghz so no interference with wireless in the house and alot more comfortable imo.

Message 7 of 13 (579 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013
While wired is a deal breaker for some, I think you should have went with the Astro A40's instead. While the higher end Turtle Beaches sound ok, they are a little tinny.

One of the bigger cons is the transmitter will only work with a pair of XP400's. if you go the route of the 2013 wired A40's or the older semi wireless model which can still be found at Gamestop, the mixamp is compatable with pretty much any pair of PC or premium audio headphones you want. If something ever happens to my A40's or I just get tired of them a year or two down the road, instead of replacing the whole audio system, I can instead upgrade to a real pair of audiophile headphones from companies like Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, etc to use with the my same mixamp for an even better audio experience. One sweet thing about the A40's is the removable speaker tags meaning you can change the appearance of the headphones with ones you customize on your own through the site with your PSN ID name or clan on them. You can design your own art and they will make them for you. There are also many other tags as well such as Metal Gear and AC3 designs.

I also like them because they are open back headphones. That means higher fidelity and sound quality since the waves produced from closed headphones have nowhere to go after they have been used, so you get a more crystal clear and more quality sound from open headphones. Are the XP400's open back? I'm not sure. That's all preference too since closed back headphones produce better bass.

I will admit. The XP400's have some flashy features but while the money goes into those features, the money for the A40's is going more towards the audio with a decent sound stage, 15Hz - 28000Hz frequency response and are constructed quite a bit better. And like I said. Your future upgrades a few years down the road will not have to be a whole audio system. You could get something like a 300.00 pair of Audio Technica ATH AD700x's on amazon for little over 100.00. The quality of these are probably 10 times better than anything from Turtle Beach or even Astro. But you use the Astro mixamp to power them which is where most of the A40 magic comes from anyway.

There is also the fully wireless A50's but I'm kind of against them because the mixamp is built in and like the XP400's, nothing can be upgraded. The frequency response is also a bit lower as well but is on par with the XP400's.

Well whether you take my recommendation or stick with what you have, at least you went with something that's real Dolby Digital. The XP400's use Dolby 5.1 and A40's use Dolby Pro Logic 2X headphone technology which takes a 5.1 source and simulates it to 7.1 by matrixing only the rear channels. Meanwhile the Sony Stereo Headphones and Sony Pulse only take a two channel analog signal through USB similar to the red and white analog audio cables and creates a faux 7.1 that's not so accurate in pinpointing exact locations.
Message 8 of 13 (566 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013
And also keep in mind that Best Buy has the Black Ops2 Turtle Beach Tangos on their site for 130.00 if you can find them. These are 300.00 headphones normally and are Dolby 7.1 and use 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6461131&pid=1218747884455&pcatId=abcat0715001
Message 9 of 13 (561 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 22, 2013

The Asto's are a very good headset but they are a bit too pricey for me and to what Murderstyle75 stated, the only headsets other than official ps headsets best buy had were the XP400's and the x51"s which are 300 bones, i got he xp400's for half price and am very happy with them ! Maybe in the future a set of Astro's will be the next set proly. I have heard mixed reviews about them as well though so who knows. For now the xp400's are the set for me thats for sure !!

Message 10 of 13 (553 Views)
0 Likes