Aug 22 2013
By: positive_emotion I Only Post Everything 1135 posts

Sony: Publishers will decide PS3 to PS4 game upgrade fees

6 replies 245 views Edited Aug 22, 2013
"As part of Sony's new game trade-up program, individual publishers like Electronic Arts, Activision, and Ubisoft will be able to set upgrade prices for gamers upgrading from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4.

Sony's United Kingdom managing director Fergal Gara told GameSpot this week at Gamescom that this program--announced on Tuesday--is "fantastically gamer-focused" because it gives gamers purchasing confidence this holiday season.

"It will be down to the publisher to decide," Gara said. "That mechanism doesn't affect us, because we're not publishing any titles across both platforms. It's over to the EAs, the Activisions, and the Ubisofts to go and decide what the differential is to trade-up."

Gara said it's "exciting" that Sony can offer such a program, noting that the upgrade fee is not expected to be substantial. He did not provide a specific figure, but said it will be "fair."

As part of the promotion, gamers who buy Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, or Watch Dogs on PS3 can purchase a digital version for PS4 at a "significantly discounted price" when it launches.

Activision has since clarified that this fee for Call of Duty: Ghosts will be $10.

Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, and Warner Bros. are all participating in the program. The promotion will be available for a limited time, Sony said, and it is not clear if the program will be offered worldwide.

Retailers Amazon and GameStop have launched similar promotions where gamers can trade up to the next-generation version for $10.

The PS4 launches November 15 in North America and November 29 in Europe. The next-generation console will be available in 32 countries in all by the end of the year."

http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/sony-publishers-will-decide-ps3-to-ps4-game-upgrade-fees-6413488/
Message 1 of 7 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Re: Sony: Publishers will decide PS3 to PS4 game upgrade fees

Aug 29, 2013

Has anyone heard more about this yet? Kind of important to just leave open..

Will it be available in Canada, and will you need to somehow trade/give up your ps3 copy if upgrading to ps4 digital through sony?

Future shop/bestbuy/GameStop are offering the same thing essentially, but you are required to trade-in/lose your ps3 copy in order to do it. Much less appealing.

Message 2 of 7 (203 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 29, 2013
not sure realy but I believe it would somehow work thru ps store, put ps3 disc into ps4 to verify then download digital copy. otherwise it would be a rip off, they said this was to reward ps3 users not punish them
Message 3 of 7 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Aug 29, 2013
I'm really hoping that's how it works.

I'm pretty undecided on what console to get some games on, ps3 = free multiplayer still (right?) vs ps4 = require PS+.

This program could solve all my issues..

I could essentially but Watch Dogs for example, use ps3 copy for online and ps4 for single player.
I do not really plan to pay PS+ until much later into ps4 when there are more games I want and it's worthwhile (imo).
Message 4 of 7 (186 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Sep 4, 2013

I really wish Sony would clarify whether or not this applies to games bought digitally for the PS3 and then purchased again digitally on the PS4 and/or how it will work exactly with the physical disc if you purchase these games at retail stores.

I'm happy this program was announced, but it would be nice to get the details of exactly how it's going to work, and which formats are included in the upgrade program.

Recognize My Disease
Message 5 of 7 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

Sep 4, 2013

i2PLY wrote:
I'm really hoping that's how it works.

I'm pretty undecided on what console to get some games on, ps3 = free multiplayer still (right?) vs ps4 = require PS+.

This program could solve all my issues..

I could essentially but Watch Dogs for example, use ps3 copy for online and ps4 for single player.
I do not really plan to pay PS+ until much later into ps4 when there are more games I want and it's worthwhile (imo).

because watch dogs multiplayer is incredibly awesome and interactive and actually there...

Message 6 of 7 (121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Sep 4, 2013

xMatch3d-Play3rx wrote:
not sure realy but I believe it would somehow work thru ps store, put ps3 disc into ps4 to verify then download digital copy. otherwise it would be a rip off, they said this was to reward ps3 users not punish them

That's what it sounds like the deal is from what they said, but it seems crazy to have to do that.  Otherwise you'd be able to trade the game in, which is what the publisher is trying to stop you from doing by allowing you to upgrade.  

Still you have to wonder if the program applies to digital copies of these PS3 games or just physical copies.  If the goal of the publishers is to get people to buy these games day one and/or to not flood the market with used copies on 11/15, it seems like it's a no-brainer that it would apply to digital PS3 games and not just physical ones.  They just haven't said it yet, and they haven't given very much in the way of details on how it's all going to work.

The only reason I care is that I want all the games on my PS4 digitally, and don't want to have to put the PS3 disc in my PS4 to play a game I bought digitally.  It defeats the entire purpose of having a digital game for me.

I'm sure they'll give us the skinny on it soon enough, but right right now, it's a little confusing.

Recognize My Disease
Message 7 of 7 (106 Views)
0 Likes