I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Re: Sony Ngp.....thoughts???

Mar 6, 2011

It is a bit disturbing that EA have yet to hint at support for the NGP. There is also the fact that Neowiz (creator of DJ MAX portable series) was not on the 3rd party support list for the NGP. Neowiz maybe either waiting to see on the NGP but, EA probably where amoung one of the first few 3rd parties notififed about the NGP. The suspicion is that EA may have DRM related issues with the NGP.

Here is a kind of intersting quote from SCEE President Mr. Andrew House regarding the digital strategy game creators should look out for on the NGP,

What we are saying is that all games that appear physically will be made available digitally. Not necessarily all games have to be made available physically. Having the option of a digital-only method affords more creative risk-taking, and that’s because you don’t have that risk of physical inventory associated with it.

It is a good thing Sony is chucking in the accomidations to make all the physical goods publishers/dev's/ISV's create into a free DD download as well. Game creators should be aware this is good because the PSN has the most registered users and has been the most lucrative online experience of any console/dedicated portable. Still, if Sony is going to make DD a MUST for all games on the NGP, then Sony should definitly rework some of the DRM, DD agreements to attract EA (which loves DRM).

It would only make sense to rethink the DRM, DD sturcture as it would mean more game versions of a game on different NGP devices. The NGP may not be hackable and therefore there might not be anything to worry about however, it would be wise to adhere to stuff like the following for DD,

- A certain number of re-downloads once a DD version pruchased

- A cetain number of PSN users reistered onto a NGP

- Keys being strongly encrypted onto the DD version to stop it being shared onto other devices

-etc

As for DRM, things like locking an already purchased game and needing online re-activation should only be for companies that offer expensive content or have invested a lot into the upkeep of an online environment in a game. DRM software should also only lock a bought game under the circumstances that a NGP has had no PSN access for a cetain amount of time (i.e. 90 days). The NGP will have 3G and better wifi hardware so, this would only be a fair enough offer for major publishers who would like to invest a lot into an online eco-system game for the NGP.

The other featurs that would be nice is using skyhook location based SDK for that DRM locking process. For example, if somone bought one of those titles which has all that invested online stuff on it and that game locks itself, if the Near app can locate the last nearest place where an individual last had wi-fi or clear 3G signal than, that would make it easier for someone to go online again and unlock their game or, log onto PSN (whatever the method).

Does that make any sense? It's basically looking out for Sony's new digital strategy and the whole physical process while still making it all look good for publishers/devs/ISV's who want some level of DRM re-assurance.

Message 11 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Mar 6, 2011

I was a bit lost but it sounds that you are saying there needs to be a surfeited way to prevent theft of DLC....

I really feal as if they have already done this in PSN as it is...With the 5 active accounts on 5 PS3's and 5 PSp's  at one time....

On the PS3 we can enjoy multiple accounts and share a wider range of content....never the less there are it's limitations...Like Socom Confrontation...addon can be shared with users...but the actual DLC Game can only be used by the respected account it belongs to....And if that game is played with by that profile on one of the PS3's the user must wait a 24 hour lapse period in order to play it on another PS3 their account is respectfully active on...GT5P is the same way

On the PS3's it is a lil differnt...there is no multiple account as of now...Only one account can be active on a PSP at once...while content from multiple users can be on the PSP at once....the user would need to switch activations of accounts to have access to to content between accounts....

I hope at least with the NGP they will allow 2 accounts active on them..... Allowing my neise and nephew to use my content under their profile so as they can get the trophies

As well there will be DLC games and a type of Flash Memory physical form of games...(cartridge like back in the days just pro duo small so to speak)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 12 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Mar 6, 2011

Anyone else know about the NGP and got some info that we missed...or have not heard about yet

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 13 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 7, 2011

I was confused on a few things about the NGP. It was a bit of a misunderstanding that all NGP 'NVG' cards would have a free digital version bundeled with them.  The thing is that everything must be digital from here on out (on the NGP). No exceptions.

Sony has never really demanded anything like that out of their publishers on a major console. Sony will not take away any game creators rights to make game available as physical game cards to retailers, that remains the same as always. The digital demand from Sony for all game creators is something different.

There has to be something in the process that takes up more time in order to make a DD version of a game. That maybe what could be putting developers and publishers off.

Thankfully, the PSP did get big hits on the PSN after the PSP Go was released. It could have been the digital outlook of the PSP Go or just the fact more games rolled around that time (or a combination).

Here is a good bit of news on Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on the PSN,

Tetsuya Nomura said to Dengeki in a Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy interview that he does not want any misunderstandings. The problem does not lie with Square Enix, Disney or Hikaru Utada who performed the game’s theme song. "It’s difficult because of a reason I cannot say," Nomura explained. Nomura says he is thinking about how to make a downloadable version available, but he needs more time.

This would be a big win for Sony Playstation.

I made the assumption that EA only being "in talks with Sony" could mean they might not make games for the NGP due to the new digital distibution strategy. Upon reviewing what EA has on the PSP's PSN, they look like they forged a good library on there. So, maybe EA is just tesing and will release a few secret awesome games  for the NGP. Still, the new addendum to who games are created on the NGP seemed a bit scary. Hopefully, the outlook to expand the PSN library for the playstation mobile brand is nothing but good.

Message 14 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Mar 7, 2011

well you know I was confident going Go...and still there are a few PSP UMD's that have not made it to the Store just yet....But I would hope in the future they will start to really release PS and PSP games that were all on disc...As well I will keep my fingers crossed that the NGP will play PS2 games...and PS2 will be reborn on the NGP......

(in a mad voice) And GTA San Andreas will have a true multiplayer....muwahahahahhahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 15 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8194 posts

Mar 7, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

There is also the fact that Neowiz (creator of DJ MAX portable series) was not on the 3rd party support list for the NGP.

Pentavision (the developers of the series, Neowiz is just a publisher for S. Korea) loves to keep their works secret. Heck, they didn't even announce Portable 3 until a few months before it was released. It is possible they are getting up and checking out the hardware right now.

And then we have PM Studios, the publisher for North America. I don't care if they are reading this, but they are the most laziest team of publishers I ever seen. The upgrade patch for Portable 3 UMD version has been delayed to hell and the PSN version isn't even patched yet. Many people from BMS have to nag, annoy and stalk Michael Yum (the leader for PM Studios) for them to get up and release the UMD patch. The PSN patch is badly overdue (it was supposed to be on Early Febuary) and now they moved it to March 15.

Message 16 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Mar 7, 2011

I have a PSP 1000 and only 15 games or so but all of those games are the best psp games. The NGP better have great games if it's going to get my money/succeed. Untill a game that catches my attention comes out i will pass on the NGP. Is it me or are people obsessed with the touch screen? Every time a new device, that has a touch screen is announced people are going crazy.

As far as 3DS goes, same thing. I've only seen so far 2 games that i would like to play on the 3DS. Ocarina of time(have it on my N64) and MGS: Snake Eater 3DS(PS2 Essential). Even though i've beaten both games i would like to play them and see what nintendo has done in 3d and how they play out. What sony should do is buy the rights from activision for Spyro and crash, lord knows they been bad crash and spyro games since they left the PS1 platform, and make those exclusives like they once were and use it for NGP.

Message 17 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Mar 7, 2011

I say its going to be awesome! lets hope Sony puts in game music and a better web browser on this thing.

Message 18 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
989 posts

Mar 7, 2011

Already pre-ordered ^^  just waiting for the games to be available to pre-order xP

I want a Dragon Age for the NGP ^^  But we all know its going to be awesome and x10 better than the 3DS.

I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Message 19 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 7, 2011

StuByph wrote:

well you know I was confident going Go...and still there are a few PSP UMD's that have not made it to the Store just yet....But I would hope in the future they will start to really release PS and PSP games that were all on disc...As well I will keep my fingers crossed that the NGP will play PS2 games...and PS2 will be reborn on the NGP......

(in a mad voice) And GTA San Andreas will have a true multiplayer....muwahahahahhahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

If Sony PS can someday boast that more 80% UMD titles are on the PSN than (along with all the top hits), than that would be big. HUGE actually.

There was some weird ps2 download service related glitch going on in the PSN a while ago. Might not have been anything but, here it is.

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

There is also the fact that Neowiz (creator of DJ MAX portable series) was not on the 3rd party support list for the NGP.

Pentavision (the developers of the series, Neowiz is just a publisher for S. Korea) loves to keep their works secret. Heck, they didn't even announce Portable 3 until a few months before it was released. It is possible they are getting up and checking out the hardware right now.

And then we have PM Studios, the publisher for North America. I don't care if they are reading this, but they are the most laziest team of publishers I ever seen. The upgrade patch for Portable 3 UMD version has been delayed to hell and the PSN version isn't even patched yet. Many people from BMS have to nag, annoy and stalk Michael Yum (the leader for PM Studios) for them to get up and release the UMD patch. The PSN patch is badly overdue (it was supposed to be on Early Febuary) and now they moved it to March 15.

Hopefully. The GUI would look and feel awesome on the NGP.

DJ MAX portable 3 for the PSN is in Korean only than?

Message 20 of 43 (2 Views)
0 Likes