Uncharted Territory
1080 posts

Re: Console vs PC

Aug 18, 2014

TeknoBug75 wrote:

What kind of games are you playing though? I still have an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T OC'd to 4GHz with 8GB DDR3 1600 and a GTX770 and it doesn't perform very well in some recent titles, when i play Planetside 2 or Battlefield 4 or Farcry 3 or Watch_Dogs or blahblahblah.   My main PC with an i7 3770K will hold up for a couple years, it will not be very capable of games after 3 some odd years without setting graphics to all low because of spec requirements increasing (we saw that with Watch_Dogs and Wolfenstein-2014).

I also have a Phenom II X6 1090T. Not overclocked. And a Radeon 7850. But then again, I play in 1080p, not in 1440p or higher. Never had any problem with recent titles. Tomb Raider plays perfectly smooth, as Bioshock Inifite, both on max settings. But then again, I game on a 55" TV and sit at about 10ft, so I don't need to crank antialiasing to the max, as pixels are very small from where I sit, so I don't really see a huge difference between, let's say 8x and 4x.... And PlanetSide 2 plays just fine to me. Max details, and getting (from my visual estimate) near 60fps if not 60. Haven't tried Watch Dogs yet, I admit. But I'll have to try Far Cry 3 though, as I haven't got the chance to play it yet and the title is just waiting in my Steam Library... Smiley Wink

And anyway, it depends on the person, but to me, I don't NEED to always put the game at max settings (even if I usually can, or pretty close). Most recent titles are still better-looking than their console counterparts even when not at maximum details.  And even so, when I'll feel like I have a good deal on a newer graphic card, I'll sell my 7850 and upgrade for another $200 card, and depending if the card comes with free games, and the price I'll be able to sell mine, it could maybe, like when I got my 7850, pay for itself.

Many console games still run at 30fps, and its still rare to see games running 1080p60 on consoles. So it's not hard to actually deliver better quality, and it doesn't require a top of the line CPU or GPU... Sure, I could still have BETTER than what I have right now. But what I have satisfies me so far and I see no reason to upgrade my CPU or GPU right now. The benefits anyway would not be THAT noticeable to me. Gaining only about 5-7 FPS on some titles is not worth the investment to me (I understand others consider this a huge issue, but not me). And for anything already running near 60fps, well, it won't really do anything. Maybe in 1 or 2 years, it'll be different. I'll see. 

But my X6 1090t is still handling everything I throw at it. And I do lots of Photoshop, video editing and video conversion with it too. Still work like a beast. (actually, the old Phenom II X6 line is still faster than most FX-6000 series because it has 6 "true" cores). Although it's slower than Intel processors. But still, never had any performance issue with it. Temps stay cool even under load (Thanks to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO)...

Message 51 of 81 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

thats also half your problem steve...you assume without actually knowing...do you even have the steam store to know the costs of their games? I doubt it..seems your one track minded...and you asked me to leave out the costs of the most important factor in buying a gaming system...THE GAMES. **bleep**? why because you know it makes up for the initial hardware costs or because you just have to think your right to justify your console only mentality? ill wait for  your explanation.Im not trying to start a flame war, I love both machines but when I see people ignorantly talking about how pc gaming is just Soooo much more expensive..i have to chime in, because I have both, and I know both...alot more then I can say for most of you speakiing.

Message 52 of 81 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1080 posts

Aug 18, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote: 

As has been stated, if you shop the bargain bins for 2-4 year old games on console, they will cost no more than your precious 2-4 year old Steam games.

I don't know where you shop, but I NEVER saw any console title drop below $10 in bargain bins, and that is the rare exception, those title being usually sold more around $19.99 or $14.99. And I'm usually pretty aware of sales and everything and shop to many stores out there, both online and offline to find the best prices for whatever I buy. May be different up here in Canada, I don't know.

While it's not uncommon to see games being discounted by 75% on Steam or other services like GreenManGaming. 2-4 year-old games can be easily had for less than $10, sometimes even $5 or even LOWER.

Look, as an example, I bought the Lego Movie game on my PC for me and my son. It was $60 on PS4 when I bought it. I paid $8 for it on PC. I'm pretty sure it never went that low on consoles, even if there was a "special sale" at some point.

Look, we should all stop trying to justify our stupid fanboyism towards a particular platform. Each platform has their pros and cons, and it also depends on many other personnal factors. For someone, a console makes more sense financially. For another, the PC may be the way to go, also for economic reasons. And BOTH ARE RIGHT.

I have a PC, a PS3, a PS4, a Vita. Also had a Wii, a 360, ans countless other consoles over the years. Sometimes I game more on my PC, sometimes more on my PS4, or Vita... there's no "better" platform. The upfront cost of a PC may be more. Of course. But I buy games for WAY LESS than I could on consoles. You offer me a game for $60 and the exact same game for $8, guess which version I'm buying? 

Also, please, include the cost of a typical home PC into your comparison because the gaming PC replaces the need for a home/work PC as well. Not taking that into account is not fair. Or else, compare a console with the cost of what makes the difference between a home PC and a gaming PC, which is, mainly, a good videocard.

Message 53 of 81 (87 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
987 posts

Aug 18, 2014

I haven't seen any unused games for lower than $10 that I can remember. My girlfriend did get a used copy of one of the army of two games for 60 cents though.

Message 54 of 81 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1968 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

PS4

Initial System Cost:                                                                   $     400      

Replacement Cost:                               $    300      

Likelhood you would replace:                           

Likelihood  of breaking:                          60%    

Total: (Cost x replace% x break%)                      ==>         $                  

Additional DS4:

Initial purchase: (qty x cost)              x   60   =            

replacements: (qty x cost)                x   50   =            

Additional Batteries                           x   10   =            

Total: (Initial + Replacement + batteries)                            $                 

Charging Station: (qty x price)               x   60   =                    $                  

Camera: (qty x price)                              x   60   =                   $                 

Games: (Ignore if bought at full price)

Used: (qty x avg price x years)        x $15 x 8 =                $                  

PSN: (cost x years)                          $     x 8 =                         $                  

Grand Total:                                                                              $                 

PC:

Initial System Cost:                                                                  $                  

Upgrade of Initial system:

Avg annual upgrade cost:    $              

Life expectancy of unit:                        years

Total: (avg cost x years)                                                     $                  

Replacement System Cost: (if Applicable)                             $                  

Upgrade of Replacement system:

Avg annual upgrade cost:    $              

Life expectancy of unit:                        years

Total: (avg cost x years)                                                      $                

Games: (Ignore if bought at full price)

Used: (qty x avg price x years)         x $5 x 8 =                $                 

Grand Total:                                                                          $                

Feel free to modify and fill out the above. Figure out what is best for you based on your numbers and be happy knowing you know what is YOUR best value. Stop giving a rats but if it's anyone else's best value.

Message 55 of 81 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

o0o0o I like it... a revised formula, but I dont want to go that deep into it lol...I already know consoles make up for the lower cost hardware by overcharging software/accessories...nothing new to me, I guess others just cant see the truth.  They are both expensive Smiley Happy

Message 56 of 81 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1330 posts

Aug 18, 2014

As long as one company owns rights to the system you are on this will never happen.

"For god ,your soul ... For me, your flesh...""

Message 57 of 81 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1080 posts

Aug 18, 2014

Blockhead_Brown wrote:

Feel free to modify and fill out the above. Figure out what is best for you based on your numbers and be happy knowing you know what is YOUR best value. Stop giving a rats but if it's anyone else's best value.

Someone should actually do one of those funny flowchart with multiple choices outlining the thinking behind choosing between a console or a PC. A humorous one, of course.

Seeing the fill-out form you posted above, I couldn't help but chuckle a bit when thinking about someone seriously trying to fill it out to "prove" his point to everyone that his choice is the better one, not knowing that those values wouldn't be the same for everyone...

Like I said previously, people should buy what they think is the best thing for them, and this doesn't mean it's the best thing for everyone else. Somehow, some people can't stand the fact that others don't think the same and have their own "better" option.

But then, maybe the PC should be considered a competitor for consoles after all. Look at how rabid some people are when they try to "prove" the superiority of their platform of choice. Kind of reminds me of the old Nintendo vs. SEGA console wars.. full of young teens arguing over "blast processing" and other nonsense... And in the end, who cares? The important part is to have fun with what you have. Why care about what others have?

Anyway, it's starting to get ridiculous. Although it provides some entertaining read for sure! lol! Smiley Wink

Message 58 of 81 (71 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11019 posts

Aug 18, 2014

The point is, how many $10 games do you need to buy to make up the $1,600 difference in cost of the HARDWARE over the course of 8 years?  You know, the part that is NECESSARY to play the games?  Pretty sure it would take much longer than 8 years to save that money on games, particularly if you don't buy a lot of games..  At least on PC.  At least you get the $400+ worth of freebies and discounts with PS+.  What is the average total value in freebies you get from steam in a year?  $30, maybe $40?

And yes, I've shopped Steam before.  Bought the original Portal, to go along with the free copy of Portal 2 I got with the PS3 retail copy (both run perfectly well on my 2012 MacBook Air).  Main problem I have with Steam?  You have to be connected to the internet and to Steam to play anything.  Even games that don't actually require an online connection.  Yes, "offline" mode works.  For about 2 hours, then it, for some reason, requires me to re-connect to the network to continue playing.  For another 2 hours.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Every 2 hours.

I buy maybe 8 full retail games a year.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  Mostly when I find recent releases on sale for $20-30 off for the physical version (which can be traded in at a later date to recoup some cash).  Or the occassional PS+ sale (Picked up Tomb Raider Digital on PS3 for $10, so didn't feel too bad forking over another $30 for TR: DE a couple of months later on disc).

I recently also picked up Injustice: Gods Among Us for less than $9 on PS4.

It is all about when and where you buy the games.  I certainly don't wait for 2-4 year old games to go on sale for 10 for $10, because nobody is buying them anymore.  I generally like to play my games while they are...  relevant.  Unless I'm in the mood for the nostalgia of an older game.  That I probably already own, anyway.

Message 59 of 81 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1968 posts

Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

o0o0o I like it... a revised formula, but I dont want to go that deep into it lol...I already know consoles make up for the lower cost hardware by overcharging software/accessories...nothing new to me, I guess others just cant see the truth.  They are both expensive Smiley Happy

I am a console gamer of late simply due to the ease of it, but I am a PC fan. Time is the biggest reason why. I simply don't have time to put into PC so the cost of time is far greater than any other costs I could consider at this point.

However if I weren't restrained due to time I would build a new PC and game on it for sure. The reward of playing with a complicated toy is worth any additional costs it may accrue. Of course what I call a reward others might call a pain in the rear.

Overall, purely on a cost analysis, anyone who enjoys putting together PCs will most likely enjoy figuring out how to do it the most economical way and with the least amount of "upgrades". Depending on how you do things over an 8 year period I believe you can have a comparable gaming PC to a PS4 for equal or less cost. Of course you can also go all out and spend way more on a PC than a PS4, but that person is probably getting personal value out of it far greater than just a gaming system could give him/her. I know I would.

Message 60 of 81 (68 Views)
0 Likes