Sackboy
442 posts

Re: Console vs PC

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

A minimum budget PC is still going to cost ~$600 and even then will have issues playing most of today's games and having to upgrade a year or so later when new titles comes out with more demanding spec requirements *cough Watch_Dogs*cough*, here's an Intel and AMD (FM2+ version):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14124882/Photo%202014-08-18%2C%207%2025%2018%20AM.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14124882/Photo%202014-08-18%2C%207%2026%2010%20AM.png

And about Steam games, I have 100's of games from Steam but I barely ever play them because most of them aren't AAA titles except maybe Saints Row, GTA, or so.

The cost of PC gaming is going to add up anyways, besides buying "cheap" games, you end up buying new PC parts to go with it and of course new version of Windows (if you're a true PC gamer you'd get Windows 8.1 for the better DX 11.2 support, BF4 plays more stable on Win 8.1 than Win 7, and Win 9 will have DX 12 which is similar to AMD's Mantle, etc.).  Console gaming, well you buy the unit and it has a lifespan of 8-10 years providing you don't have techinical issues with it and you just buy new games, maybe a new controller down the road.

Believe me, I've spent thousands of dollars on PC stuff over the past 20 years and only to end up seeing quality of games go downhill in the past 5 some odd years because game devs are not as interested in supporting the PC version anymore compared to console which draws in more money for them and I'm done jumping through **bleep** hoops to get some games to work properly (and I'm a technical type guy, I come from a Unix/Linux background).

Message 21 of 81 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7331 posts

Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

no shane i've always built my own gaming rigs from scratch..no pre built junk or used.  forget dell or overpriced Alienware lol.  This included the cost of 8.1 OS but also I already had monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers.  Newegg.com is a must for system builders/techs.  Also on the note of the cost of the game, PC games I dont buy new because I know there will be a massive sale in a year or so for the same game.  Why NOT wait while you play your other games?  My compairson was considering you have the patience to wait to get the same game at a lower cost vs. going out and buying it at launch.

You should check out Tigerdirect too if you like to build. I build as well, I just don't game as much, I just like to build and create my own. I use both sites as well as Monoprice for my IT needs Smiley Very Happy

It depends on the game for me in terms of waiting. If I am playing single player only I will wait. If I play online I usually get it right away because that is when most people will be playing it. We are not even a year out of BF4 and online isn't as popular but that could change now that summer is ending.

Don't get me wrong, I love building PCs and I think there are some great custom rigs out there. I just think it is comparing Apples to Oranges.

PSXBGamer- wrote:
"2000-2016 still in the year 2000 i didnt know we was in the year 3000"

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Does-it-bother-you-that-Sony-brags-about-how-well-they-re-doing/td-p/45935146/page/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 22 of 81 (120 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11154 posts

Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

lets not type out of our rear end here Bburg...my massive gtx 780 8 core/16 gig ram setup costs only $1600 after tax...10 games on ps store will run you $600 plus the $400 for the console so if you get 10 games your first year you're already up to $1000 plus the cost of ps live, so $1050.  10 Steam sale games and you only spent $50-60.

Where'd you learn math?

Games + cost of gaming rig is suddenly only $50-60?  Where'd the $1,600 for the PC go suddenly?  

So $1050 PS4/Games vs $1,650 PC/Games.

Yep.  PC gaming sure does sound cheaper.

Message 23 of 81 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

you're still not considering all the factors in your equations bburg...the cost of psn is 50 a year..do that for 8 years and thats another $400 (or the cost of a new video card in 8 years)...in my opinion how these consoles are nickle and diming people it works out about the same.  Also im sure on your console you'll buy more then 10 $60 games...all im saying is if you was to build a pc, not be charged to play online..and buy your games on sale...it would be about equal to console gaming....you stating its the cost of a console for system memory is just utter hogwash. Oh yes I almost forgot to add, you really think your console will last 8 years? Probably not, as much as I game my consoles are lucky to go 6...so ya theres another $400 in 6 years...you want to add all that up?

Message 24 of 81 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7331 posts

Aug 18, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

lets not type out of our rear end here Bburg...my massive gtx 780 8 core/16 gig ram setup costs only $1600 after tax...10 games on ps store will run you $600 plus the $400 for the console so if you get 10 games your first year you're already up to $1000 plus the cost of ps live, so $1050.  10 Steam sale games and you only spent $50-60.

Where'd you learn math?

Games + cost of gaming rig is suddenly only $50-60?  Where'd the $1,600 for the PC go suddenly?  

So $1050 PS4/Games vs $1,650 PC/Games.

Yep.  PC gaming sure does sound cheaper.

But add in the cost of upgrades over 8 years on the PC. You might get lucky and keep the OS for 8 years, depending on where you are at in the cycle.

May need to add RAM?

May need to upgrade GPU?

Maybe CPU? Which means MB most likely.

Power supply to handle new GPU?

You never know with a PC, that is part of the problem. You may have built in enough upgradeability with a rig but you are paying for that up front. IF you build to spec now and not consider 4-8 years down the road, it is a replacement not an upgrade.

PSXBGamer- wrote:
"2000-2016 still in the year 2000 i didnt know we was in the year 3000"

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Does-it-bother-you-that-Sony-brags-about-how-well-they-re-doing/td-p/45935146/page/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 25 of 81 (102 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1029 posts

Aug 18, 2014

Um, regardless of all of this, Sony doesn't really have to compete with PS4 for three reasons.

1) People are lazy.

2) Because people are lazy, they like things that are convenient.

3) PCs are not convenient, in everything from the financial aspect, to building one, to using one. Most do not even know how to use a controller with a PC and don't want to learn anything (Example: Windows 8. Superior for power users.). Therefore, consoles keep their customers because they're made to be convenient.

The PS4 went one step further and tried to be convenient to software developers too, and as such, it sold at near record pace for consoles.

Message 26 of 81 (95 Views)
Sackboy
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

Here i'll help, what I expect to pay PC vs Console. in a typical 8 year stretch.  PC=$1600+$800 in new parts+$640 games(8 steam sale games a year is plenty for me...and thats marking them up to $10 each...alot are only $5)..all that adds up to $3040.  Console= $400 console, $400 PSN, $400 another console, 4 $60 games a year (ya only if you got 4)=$240x8 years=$1920...all that adds up to....$3120.  NOW there are alot of variables here but you get the drift...consoles get away with hardly ever having decent sales (though lately i have seen alot better from MS but on really REALLY old games).  PC gaming isnt as expensive as you may think compared to consoles.  LIke I said cheaper software really does factor in and not having to pay to connect to a middle man on our already paid internet aswell.

Message 27 of 81 (94 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11154 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

you're still not considering all the factors in your equations bburg...the cost of psn is 50 a year..do that for 8 years and thats another $400 (or the cost of a new video card in 8 years)...in my opinion how these consoles are nickle and diming people it works out about the same.

Try $30/year (I haven't paid $50 since 2010).  And that's because it is a subscription that pays for itself in free games...  and discounts.  Basically, if you add up all the free games and discounts, it saves you about $400 (or about the same cost as a high-end GPU) each year.  Yes, some of the free PS+ games (across THREE different platforms) are better than others, but what does Steam give you for free?

As for upgrading...  with PC, you are upgrading every 2-3 years, not every 8.  I have yet to see a PC play CURRENT games for more than 3 years without upgrading something (unless, of course, you splurge on the latest $1,200 TITAN GPU, which might buy you an extra couple of years).

And your games vs games comparison can be thrown out completely, as not all console games cost $60.  Playstation games vs Steam games basically cancel each other out between PS+/PSN Discounts and Steam Sales.

So, even if you have to replace a PS4 after 8 years, that's likely in the $650-700 range (do you really think the PS4 will stay at $400 for the next 8 years?  I don't think so.  It'll be $300 in two or three years.  Probably less a couple years after that.) on console vs $2,000-2,400 PC (and upgrades) for the cost of hardware over the next 8 years.

Message 28 of 81 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

Aug 18, 2014

im not going to factor in "benefits" of psn because thats too big of a variable..i havent played one free psn game since i've gotten psn aside from checking out resogun for about a week waiting on watchdogs to release.  

Message 29 of 81 (90 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11154 posts

Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

im not going to factor in "benefits" of psn because thats too big of a variable..i havent played one free psn game since i've gotten psn aside from checking out resogun for about a week waiting on watchdogs to release.  

Well, then, that's on you.  You do realize PS+ WAS a 'benefit' program when it was first released, right?  Can't help you there if you don't take advantage of the freebies that Sony gives you for your money.

Message 30 of 81 (75 Views)
0 Likes