Treasure Hunter
7101 posts

Re: Console vs PC

Aug 18, 2014

PC is not a dedicated gaming platform. The reason they don't have to compete with PC is pure and simple, convenience! At the end of the day, when you get home from work/school you just want to pop in a game and play a console wins everytime.

You never have to worry about updating graphic card drivers, Windows updates, Anti-virus, malware or any other preventative maintenance. The average Joe doesn't want to have to do that to play a game for an hour or two.

Users also don't have to worry about someone editing a config file and cheating online which is MUCH easier to do on a PC.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 11 of 81 (143 Views)
Sackboy
442 posts

Aug 18, 2014

I'm a PC gamer allt he way back to the early 90's (well further if you count Comodore 64 and Apple computers too) and I actually think it's better to game on console now than \PC because no matter how much you pay for a top end PC, you're still getting crummy lazy job of console ports on most games now.  It's nice to get that extra deep graphics detail, but that doesn't mean anything if the game stutters and has tons of issues left and right.  I have an i7 3770K overclocked to 4.5GHz (can OC it to 4.8GHz) but it's gathering dust now because there's no MMORPG's besides Planetside 2 that I'm interested in anymore, there's no Madden and NHL titles (last one was Madden 08 and NHL 09 which used the Playstation 2 engine) and most racing games are "incomplete" and there isn't a single racing game on PC comparable to Gran Turismo or Forza besides Need for Speed Shift 2 and that game has major input lag issues (it's an engine thing so nothing can be done about it other than a modified input.dll which doesn't help much).

So to summarize it, I'm quitting the PC platform.  And the "more affordable" is a misconception, even when games are at least $20 cheaper than the console version, you usually still need a PC $600 or better to play it well and then upgrade that PC a couple years later for new titles, I've been there.

Message 12 of 81 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
778 posts

Aug 18, 2014
Money is not an issue for me. I don't play games on computer for 1 reason only: hacks. Most hacks are written to work on windows. So unless you enjoy playing with cheaters, stay on pc
Message 13 of 81 (135 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1049 posts

Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

All in All I love my Zotac GTX780....its a beast, but that one card alone costs as much as my X1. 

Well, to be honest, we should never really compare console with PCs on a simple cost issue. Because since everyone (or almost everyone) needs a cheap PC at home anyway to do other stuff their console couldn't do, a fair comparison would be to compare the cost of a console to the cost of a good midrange PC graphic card. 

But anyway, I too have a PC setup hooked up to my big screen TV and wireless xbox controllers. I can litteraly just jump on the sofa, hit "PC" on my Harmony remote and just start Steam Big Picture Mode and my experience is pretty much similar to other consoles.

I rarely get problems with my PC. But then again, I don't consider adjusting graphic options or updating drivers and anti-virus to be a "problem". Console have system and game updates too. No big deal to me. In fact I probably got more problems and annoyances with my 360 and PS3 that I did with my PC. Went through 4x 360x (RRoD, disc-reading issues, etc...), and upgrading my PS3 HDD was a pain (took a whole weekend for transfering files to the new drive). 

But anyway, it's hard to compare a PC with a console. To be fair, any piece of electronic designed to serve a specific purpose will generaly be simpler to operate and maintain than one created to do many other things as well. And since there isn't a thousand different configurations available, content made for a console will always work as intended. PCs can be more powerful, but I think people buying consoles prefer them not because they're more powerful, but because they're more convenient overall, than a PC. Which is a pretty good reason to be honest.

Message 14 of 81 (134 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10911 posts

Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

eh I have my PC setup like my console in a way....its hidden in my AV closet and a long hdmi cord runs to the room.  Alot of my pc games can use the X1 controller, so I can sit in my lazy boy just the same and you guys never do consider the discount you get in games once you go PC.  Consoles hardly ever do good sales...i'll use Payday 2 for example....its was on sale for $5 on steam...how much was the ps3 verision? 30-40? You easily make up your money via software(games) discounts when going pc....consoles hardly ever give good deals, unless you consider Fez for free good...All in All I love my Zotac GTX780....its a beast, but that one card alone costs as much as my X1.  I call my setup the gaming Trio.  May even add a Wii U...oh wait im not 12 anymore nevermind.

And people still try to make the claim that PC gaming is cheaper due to Steam sales.

A good, mid- to high- level GPU will cost as much as a Console.

A good, mid- to high- level CPU/Mainboard will cost as much as a Console.

A decent amount of RAM and Storage will cost as much as a Console.

A decent cooling system to keep it running will cost as much as a Console.

A decent case and power supply will cost nearly as much as a Console.

... but PC gaming can be cheaper.  Yeah, okay.  How much do you need to spend on steam sales to save the $2,500 or more you spend on a mid- to high-end gaming PC?  And then consider that you'll be upgrading every 2-3 years...

Message 15 of 81 (130 Views)
Sackboy
514 posts

Aug 18, 2014

PC is way better but I think PS4 is better than XBONE

Message 16 of 81 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

lets not type out of our rear end here Bburg...my massive gtx 780 8 core/16 gig ram setup costs only $1600 after tax...10 games on ps store will run you $600 plus the $400 for the console so if you get 10 games your first year you're already up to $1000 plus the cost of ps live, so $1050.  10 Steam sale games and you only spent $50-60.  I think in the long run PC gaming is just as affordable...sony and MS stores never price match because they know they have you by the you know what.  Anyways though most of what you just typed was typical nonsense from console gamers lol...a cpu and mobo that costs $400? Try $250, 16gigs of DDR3 ram, depending on the mhz but around $200, liquid cooling system $100.....so each component does NOT add up to the cost of a gaming console...sorry to burst your bubble.  However 10 ps store games will cost you $600 and 10 steam sale games will cost you $60...so if you just wait on steam sales for the games you were going to get on console..yes you could EASILY make up that money.  Though like one poster said, consoles get alot better sports/racing games...and console gaming is a must have for just about every gamer these days.  Steams new anti-cheat servers makes playing multiplayer hacked games that much harder aswell.  Im for both Smiley Happy but I wont bs you saying pc memory costs $400 lol...you dont have to go with 16 gigs of DDR3 2400mhz...my ddr3 1600mhz does just fine.

Message 17 of 81 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7101 posts

Aug 18, 2014

UGo_6FT_Below wrote:

lets not type out of our rear end here Bburg...my massive gtx 780 8 core/16 gig ram setup costs only $1600 after tax...10 games on ps store will run you $600 plus the $400 for the console so if you get 10 games your first year you're already up to $1000 plus the cost of ps live, so $1050.  10 Steam sale games and you only spent $50-60.  I think in the long run PC gaming is just as affordable...sony and MS stores never price match because they know they have you by the you know what.  Anyways though most of what you just typed was typical nonsense from console gamers lol...a cpu and mobo that costs $400? Try $250, 16gigs of DDR3 ram, depending on the mhz but around $200, liquid cooling system $100.....so each component does NOT add up to the cost of a gaming console...sorry to burst your bubble.  However 10 ps store games will cost you $600 and 10 steam sale games will cost you $60...so if you just wait on steam sales for the games you were going to get on console..yes you could EASILY make up that money.  Though like one poster said, consoles get alot better sports/racing games...and console gaming is a must have for just about every gamer these days.  Steams new anti-cheat servers makes playing multiplayer hacked games that much harder aswell.  Im for both Smiley Happy but I wont bs you saying pc memory costs $400 lol...you dont have to go with 16 gigs of ddrs 2400mhz...my ddr3 1600mhz does just fine.

You also get what you pay for!! Someone on here before said they could build a comparable PC for $400 but linked used parts.

$1600 for the PC and that should be a pretty good PC and I am assuming you are using the cost of a pre-built PC with an OS included?

So $1600 and you use Steam as an example. So what is the cost for BF4 when it released on the PC? Was it $10 or $60?

Now add in the time for maintanence, yes you can get free AV and malware but I am talking time. Driver updates, make sure your PC has the required hardware for EACH game. Apparently my desktop is to much for Origin, my laptop can login just fine but for some reason my desktop cannot and this is a common problem. So what about all the time trying to troubleshoot that junk? And Origin doesn't have an answer. They want you to dumb down your graphics settings to login? Excuse me? This is why consoles will win because there are more average Joes than people that will deal with that crap.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 18 of 81 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

no shane i've always built my own gaming rigs from scratch..no pre built junk or used.  forget dell or overpriced Alienware lol.  This included the cost of 8.1 OS but also I already had monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers.  Newegg.com is a must for system builders/techs.  Also on the note of the cost of the game, PC games I dont buy new because I know there will be a massive sale in a year or so for the same game.  Why NOT wait while you play your other games?  My compairson was considering you have the patience to wait to get the same game at a lower cost vs. going out and buying it at launch.

Message 19 of 81 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5103 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

Without any concrete data, nothing is confirmed as far as what gamers switch to which platform.

Most of my friends who pc game, also own a console for the exclusives.

Ps4 is currently the fastest selling console ever, so if applicable, competition with pc hasn't affected initial sales at any rate.

Game sales have been good also. The Last of Us did amazing sales for a new IP (just past 6 million) coming at the end of a generation.

There's definitely some competition to be had with Pc, but pc isn't your typical dedicated gaming system.  Xbox is the obvious main competitor. Heck... I'd probably put mobile gaming as one of the top competitors for all systems.

Message 20 of 81 (101 Views)
0 Likes