Aug 18 2014
By: B3GV5M63 Fender Bender 2921 posts

Sony Needs to Compete with PC

[ Edited ]
80 replies 324 views Edited Aug 18, 2014

Console vs PC...am not here to compare PC to console or say that one is better than the other. but here is what I think

Sony is obviously competing with Microsoft (PS VS XBOX) but if you ask me. I don't think that most people that leave Playstation go to Xbox. I think that many of them just go to PC. 10 years ago PC wasn't even getting 10% of games consoles gotten. it had its games. but PC wasn't a gaming platform. graphics were better on console. more games on console. cheaper. but now. PC seems to get the most games. most if not all multiplats are going to PC. most if not all Indies that are even exclusive to the PS4 are on PC. not to mention the multiplats ones. some Xbox exclusives are on PC. some PS4, Console 3rd party exclusives. are on PC. most of the time. games are cheaper. you guessed right. on PC.

Sony needs to compete with PC. so many times they get games only as a "console exclusive" and then the game goes to PC. no first party exclusives but some 3rd party ones. Sony needs to realize that PC is a gaming platform now (even though i dont game on PC). and start to keep some games other than their first party games only exclusive to their platform. again if we go back 10 years ago. there weren't many PC gamers. sure i used to play PC games back then. but only a cpl. mainly strategy games. but now it just has most of them. because more people might drift away to PC.

Mod Edit: Updated title and label. Check here for more information. Thanks! --GrainneNessa

Message 1 of 81 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1990 posts

Re: Console vs PC

Aug 18, 2014

While pc gaming can be more affordable in some cases, I find that consoles are more comfortable.

I don't like the idea of being able to customize my gaming device at all. Why shouldn't it work like how it is? Since  a console is mainly for gaming, this means it can handle everything it is advertised to. When it comes to PC, I won't be able to run just any game I wish to. Even if I CAN run it, I may end up really laggy anyway. Having a console is having the comfort of knowing it is what it is. There is no reason to go any further than is needed.

I know I am limiting myself, but this doesn't bother me at all. I'm sure plenty of other gamers feel the same. If pc gamers get a... ehh thrill out of having better graphics than everyone else then let them enjoy it. Graphics can only be so amazing. Here is a thread I made long ago that goes more into it My beef with graphics-crazy PC gamers

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 2 of 81 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22635 posts

Aug 18, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

While pc gaming can be more affordable in some cases, I find that consoles are more comfortable.

this word ... depends on the person.. it can vary greatly..

for me....unless there's a PC that i can get for $200-$400. that can play the latest games (without any additional upgrades) even after 7-9 years of owning the system + ease of use Smiley Wink

until then... i'm a console gamer

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 81 (302 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Aug 18, 2014
Name one game that is exclusive to PS that went to PC

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 4 of 81 (296 Views)
Fender Bender
2921 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:
Name one game that is exclusive to PS that went to PC

No Man's Sky. so far we don't know if its on xbox. only PC after PS4. and I said. third party EXCLUSIVE.

Message 5 of 81 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3303 posts

Aug 18, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

this word ... depends on the person.. it can vary greatly..

for me....unless there's a PC that i can get for $200-$400. that can play the latest games (without any additional upgrades) even after 7-9 years of owning the system + ease of use Smiley Wink

I'm with dulun18 on this one. I bought a $269.99 PS3 The Last of Us bundle rather than spend $700+ to build a new computer to play The Sims 4. My six-year-old computer works fine, but why go through the expense to keep up with new system requirements that change every six months?

Message 6 of 81 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1957 posts

Aug 18, 2014

My rig dumps all over the PS4 (costs about 6x more too), but I much prefer to slob on a sofa when gaming. I could move the PC around, but it's huge and makes way too much noise when it's under heavy load despite being water cooled. Even when the PS4 ramps up, it's not really intrusive.

My son has recently moved beyond Minecraft on his PC, and he's really enjoying Skyrim on his nothing-special machine, much prefering it over the PS3's sluggy version. It'll be interesting to see whether he drifts more to PC+Steam or returns to sofa+console.

Message 7 of 81 (265 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5237 posts

Aug 18, 2014
No Man's Sky isn't exclusive. It's launching first on PS4, and HelloGames have always wanted to make it for Pc as well. It's not launching on Xbox One at the same time due to a lack of funds, but if it sells well enough, they will port it over.
Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 8 of 81 (259 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1073 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

dulun18 wrote: 

Comparing PCs to Consoles is a bit dishonest, in the sense that most people that have a gaming PC use it not only for games, but for other uses that most people also have a cheap computer for. 

Of course, some people might not have a computer in the house. Maybe a tablet or a cheap Chromebook device is enough for word processing and net-browsing duties and the likes. But I believe that most people out there have at least a "cheap" PC in the house that is used for such things. Taking into account that the gaming PC does this, PLUS gaming, to compare it fairly, we should compare it with the cost of a console AND the cost of a cheap PC.

Thing is, I believe that consoles are still a better deal, financialy speaking, over short-term. But I think that if you factor in the cost of games for about 7 years, depending if you always buy the latest ones or wait to sales, a gaming PC might be a better deal in the long term. It really depends on a lot of factors, there is no "definitive answer" about that.

Personnaly, the amount of money I saved on my PC by benefitting from huge sales and deals is more than enough to repay my computer in its entirety. I'm the kind of gamer that usually wait for deals, and it's very rare that on consoles, a bargain-bin game is priced less than $19.99. While on PC, I can't even count the number of times I got games for less than $5, or simply free. And yes, I'm talking about "AAA" type games.

But like I said, it really depends on the type of gamer you are. If you always buy the latest games at $60 a pop, buying them on PC will probably save you only about $10 per game. So yeah, in that case, it's probably not worth it.

I'd also like to add that it is definitely NOT TRUE that you have to spend about $3,000 or more to get a decent gaming PC. I bought mine about 4 years ago for less than $1000, and only bought a new $200 videocard 2 years ago. And it still runs everything I throw at it in 1080p. AND I can still play games from 2, 5, 10 years ago or more on it. It's hooked up to my TV (along with my PS3 and PS4) and with Steam's big picture mode and a wireless gamepad, it's basically like a console.

------------

But of course, that doesn't negate the fact that consoles are "simpler" to use. And games will always perform as they're intended to. Console definitely have their advantages over PCs. Both have advantages. It only depends on the advantages you see as more important for you.

And while games are often distributed on both consoles and PCs, even some console exclusive ones, the two products are different enough, and while there are some people (like me) who game on both consoles and PCs, I think most console owners generally game on their consoles. By their natures, PCs and consoles are different (for gaming), and I think the common ground between the two is not big enough for consoles manufacturers to worry too much about that. Console exclusives comming to PC is a way to get more money from people that might probably never have bought a console anyway, so it's not really like competition in my mind... 

Message 9 of 81 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
555 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2014

eh I have my PC setup like my console in a way....its hidden in my AV closet and a long hdmi cord runs to the room.  Alot of my pc games can use the X1 controller, so I can sit in my lazy boy just the same and you guys never do consider the discount you get in games once you go PC.  Consoles hardly ever do good sales...i'll use Payday 2 for example....its was on sale for $5 on steam...how much was the ps3 verision? 30-40? You easily make up your money via software(games) discounts when going pc....consoles hardly ever give good deals, unless you consider Fez for free good...All in All I love my Zotac GTX780....its a beast, but that one card alone costs as much as my X1.  I call my setup the gaming Trio.  May even add a Wii U...oh wait im not 12 anymore nevermind.

Message 10 of 81 (224 Views)
0 Likes